Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: play football

  1. #1

    play football

    For the people on this board that are in school or are in some league i was just wondering how many of you play football. I start next week lifting weights with my team. i have been trying to build some more muscles and get in shape for when it comes to running so that i wont have to struggle running 20 laps around the field and so that lifting will be easier. I am playing WR unless if i am to big, i dont know because my old school had small unathletic kids, but my school now is known for football so probably lots of big kids will be there. top 20 school in the US for it. #1 in NJ beating Don Bosco if any of you know that school . i hate that school. I want to be a TO type WR, so i have to be strong and tall, which i am. Any of you heard of Bergen Catholic .

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valley Stream
    Posts
    4,403

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    I played for a long, long time, in high school and out. There are lots of things that I can tell you.

    First, if you're an entering freshman, your endurance is incredibly, incredibly important. You'll be doing more than 20 laps around the field, I can tell you that with near-certainty. High school football is an entirely different animal than football you may have been familiar with in the past. If your school is known for football as well you're really going to have a tough road.

    Second, the first few weeks the coach is going to go super-hard on you. Keep your head up! It will get better. Those weeks are designed to separate the men from the boys, so to speak, even though you're all still fairly young. Don't let the coach get in your head. If you're getting yelled at a lot that's actually good - it means the coach hasn't written you off yet.

    Remember - weight lifting is for big boys. You should only be just starting now if you were healthy with it. When you get in the weight room you're going to feel like a punk because the varsity players have been lifting for years and they will be astronomically stronger than you. It's okay! Just work hard and it'll pay off. Unlike football as a whole, weight lifting gives you back EXACTLY what you put in. Please remember, endurance is more important. If you're a smoker (of anything) please quit, it makes it harder.

    If you're a wideout, focus on catching, catching, catching! Nobody gives a damn if you can run an amazing forty if you can't get the ball first. You'll horribly frusterate everyone if you drop the ball often. Dropping the ball is the quickest one-way tunnel to the bench.

    If you are confused on a particular play or drill, ask a teammate first. I know that kinda flies in the face as to what you'd expect, but coach will yell and put you on a **** list unless he's a real upstanding guy. If you're still confused, try your best but ask coach after practice or with the upmost respect if it's critical. Don't just BS any assignment or drill, you WILL be caught. They're watching you from the towers, not to sound paranoid. You can't get away with a consistant mistake by trying to hide it.

    Finally, the first time you drill with varsity you're going to get railed. It will hurt a lot. You will wonder how you're going to make it. Keep going. Someday you'll be the big boy.

    Hope this helped. Don't be nervous, just try your best. You only get one shot. Stay healthy and you WILL love these memories later, I promise.

  4. #4
    I play Free Safety, I'm 5'9 160, pretty close to Jim Leonhard, he's 5'9 180.
    I play pretty good, I shut down TEs and WRs pretty good, HBs and FBs I have some problems with, but when I catch them I level them. Never heard of the school but I hope you do good.


    peace out homies





    Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine
    For the people on this board that are in school or are in some league i was just wondering how many of you play football. I start next week lifting weights with my team. i have been trying to build some more muscles and get in shape for when it comes to running so that i wont have to struggle running 20 laps around the field and so that lifting will be easier. I am playing WR unless if i am to big, i dont know because my old school had small unathletic kids, but my school now is known for football so probably lots of big kids will be there. top 20 school in the US for it. #1 in NJ beating Don Bosco if any of you know that school . i hate that school. I want to be a TO type WR, so i have to be strong and tall, which i am. Any of you heard of Bergen Catholic .

  5. #5
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    475
    First post.

    I actually just graduated from Bergen Catholic last month. I wasn't on the team myself, but I know quite a bit about it. Football is indeed very big there. The entire school showed up for the state championship, including those who don't know the difference between a touchsown and a home run. And just so you know, we weren't ranked first in the state. That belong to some team in southern Jersey who absolutely destroyed everyone they played.

    For the record, the general concensus of my senior class is that the team is going to have some tough times ahead. About 3/4 of the starters were seniors and are now gone, though the O-line and CB positions should still be solid. As for the coach, he is a ****. The majority of the team lost faith in him, and it was no thanks to him that they won the championship, though they may have saved his job. There were talks of him leaving after the season, but I don't know whatever happened with that.

    If you have anymore questions, let me know.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    First post.
    Welcome to JI, the best fan site on the net. And stick around, this should be a very exciting season for J-E-T-S fans.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,468
    i played de in high school, got 7 sacks in ten games

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    6,796
    Play WR, but I'm the as you call 'smurf' WR. I do not have the deep speed but I had the hands.

    Being a big WR especially if you are a good blocker is helpful. Blocking is a key part in HS football compared to college or the pros for that matter. If you can take out the CB and give the Rb an open lane you are good.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet
    I played for a long, long time, in high school and out. There are lots of things that I can tell you.

    First, if you're an entering freshman, your endurance is incredibly, incredibly important. You'll be doing more than 20 laps around the field, I can tell you that with near-certainty. High school football is an entirely different animal than football you may have been familiar with in the past. If your school is known for football as well you're really going to have a tough road.

    Second, the first few weeks the coach is going to go super-hard on you. Keep your head up! It will get better. Those weeks are designed to separate the men from the boys, so to speak, even though you're all still fairly young. Don't let the coach get in your head. If you're getting yelled at a lot that's actually good - it means the coach hasn't written you off yet.

    Remember - weight lifting is for big boys. You should only be just starting now if you were healthy with it. When you get in the weight room you're going to feel like a punk because the varsity players have been lifting for years and they will be astronomically stronger than you. It's okay! Just work hard and it'll pay off. Unlike football as a whole, weight lifting gives you back EXACTLY what you put in. Please remember, endurance is more important. If you're a smoker (of anything) please quit, it makes it harder.

    If you're a wideout, focus on catching, catching, catching! Nobody gives a damn if you can run an amazing forty if you can't get the ball first. You'll horribly frusterate everyone if you drop the ball often. Dropping the ball is the quickest one-way tunnel to the bench.

    If you are confused on a particular play or drill, ask a teammate first. I know that kinda flies in the face as to what you'd expect, but coach will yell and put you on a **** list unless he's a real upstanding guy. If you're still confused, try your best but ask coach after practice or with the upmost respect if it's critical. Don't just BS any assignment or drill, you WILL be caught. They're watching you from the towers, not to sound paranoid. You can't get away with a consistant mistake by trying to hide it.

    Finally, the first time you drill with varsity you're going to get railed. It will hurt a lot. You will wonder how you're going to make it. Keep going. Someday you'll be the big boy.

    Hope this helped. Don't be nervous, just try your best. You only get one shot. Stay healthy and you WILL love these memories later, I promise.
    thanks for the tips they will come in handy. and i am good at catching i have been practicing one handers for a while. i can catch

    for the other person who just came to this board who said that BC wasnt the best in NJ, Sportsillistrated ranked them top 20 in their magazine for HS.

    Mcgraw for Defense I plan on playing the same position as you, but i cant decide on SS or FS. i would like to blitz and go up against rbs, but i also like to get ints. i dont know which one to do.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valley Stream
    Posts
    4,403
    if youre into hitting and getting into it w/ the backs go ss if youre a better coverage/int safety go free since you say you have good hands go w/ fs, my hs team uses a 4-4-3 setup were a big blitz/running team with a lot of zone packages..... going a lil off topic here

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    How big are you?

  12. #12
    Tried SS didn't like it, I like making QBs cry, or making WRs scream. Although sometimes I'm QB too.




    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    if youre into hitting and getting into it w/ the backs go ss if youre a better coverage/int safety go free since you say you have good hands go w/ fs, my hs team uses a 4-4-3 setup were a big blitz/running team with a lot of zone packages..... going a lil off topic here

  13. #13
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    317
    i play cb/fs...and RB im a jr 5'8'' 185 pds

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51
    How big are you?
    I am 5'8 or 5'9, its hard to tell because i have been spirting up. 135 pounds, but only a freshman, so its not like i am to light or to heavy. i am in between for average weight. i want to put on more muscle so i am working out every day.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    still cant get over the loss

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    6,796
    You are about my size, when I was a freshaman. And if you are fast, FS is the way to go. SS is just an additional LB unless your teams plays both S's back

  17. #17
    ill see how the compitition is. I would rather play Fs because it is easier for me and you dont have to be the greatest tackler on defense. S you have to be the best tackling DB. but it is a more aggressive position, which i am when i will pretend the other team is the patriots. but as a FS i would like it better, because they play more zone, so the QB wont see that i am on the wrs close, which gives me a better chance to pick it which i would be good at because i am mainly a WR. i might not even play defense since there are alot of kids on the team. i hear alot of them drop of when it comes to when to the begging of practice. which i hope.

  18. #18
    heres an email i got from my coach. he is describing how it will be just how you guys told me.

    Team,

    The reason Bergen Catholic Football is a top program every year is because tradition never graduates and this coming Monday you all join that tradition. Be at the school between 10:15 and 10:30 so we can get attendance completed and start the program. The next three weeks will not be easy, but they will be necessary to get everyone conditioned for season. It will offer each of you an early chance to show myself and the other coaches who is willing to give 110% and who is not. We will not put pads on for another month so don't think that we are creating starting lineups by your performance now, however we expect everyone to give maximum effort and show they want to be on the team. Please everyone e-mail me back to let me know that you still plan on playing and what positions you have played in the past or what position you would like to go out for along with your heights and weights. Like I said we are not putting pads on yet so this may or may not be the postion we need you at to help the team. The team is first and foremost now fellas. This is no longer your rec or town team where you may have been "god". We will not have a player who is bigger than the team. The quicker you all grasp the team concept and that you are all in this together, the quicker you become winners. As for now, see you Monday where our quest for and undefeated season begins. Get excited boys, I promise this is nothing you have ever experienced.

    Coach Kehoe '02, Coach Pumilia, Coach Carrol, Coach Momo '00

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine
    heres an email i got from my coach. he is describing how it will be just how you guys told me.

    Team,

    The reason Bergen Catholic Football is a top program every year is because tradition never graduates and this coming Monday you all join that tradition. Be at the school between 10:15 and 10:30 so we can get attendance completed and start the program. The next three weeks will not be easy, but they will be necessary to get everyone conditioned for season. It will offer each of you an early chance to show myself and the other coaches who is willing to give 110% and who is not. We will not put pads on for another month so don't think that we are creating starting lineups by your performance now, however we expect everyone to give maximum effort and show they want to be on the team. Please everyone e-mail me back to let me know that you still plan on playing and what positions you have played in the past or what position you would like to go out for along with your heights and weights. Like I said we are not putting pads on yet so this may or may not be the postion we need you at to help the team. The team is first and foremost now fellas. This is no longer your rec or town team where you may have been "god". We will not have a player who is bigger than the team. The quicker you all grasp the team concept and that you are all in this together, the quicker you become winners. As for now, see you Monday where our quest for and undefeated season begins. Get excited boys, I promise this is nothing you have ever experienced.

    Coach Kehoe '02, Coach Pumilia, Coach Carrol, Coach Momo '00
    Coach Momo LMAO

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Also if you haven't played in previous grades, you better bust your *** and be at every single practice optional or not this summer. I for one hate it when kids who are new join the the team, and don't put in the effort. Trust me, if you work hard, you'll get respect, no matter what.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us