Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTA Finaly Gets Funding For 7 Line Extension To West Side

All Pro

MTA Finaly Gets Funding For 7 Line Extension To West Side

On fourth try, revamped MTA package passes
    BY JOSHUA ROBIN
    STAFF WRITER

July 14, 2005

State legislators Wednesday night approved a program to fund MTA maintenance, expansion and security that had been delayed three times.

The $21.1-billion package approved by a panel that represents the state Senate, Assembly, Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, will be spent over five years and targets the city subways and buses, the Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North.The bulk of the money, nearly $15 billion, is aimed at a core program to rehabilitate stations, purchase subway cars and buses and replace miles of track. Nearly $500 million is to be spent on security.

An additional $4.5 billion is slated for network expansion, including the Second Avenue Subway, LIRR East Side access, extension of the No. 7 train to the far West Side and a link from lower Manhattan to Kennedy Airport. The amount was far less than the MTA first requested, casting doubt on the timelines for completion.

The panel, called the Capital Program Review Board, also approved the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's plan to fund the plans.

However, the authority faces obstacles: It must negotiate with the Federal Transit Administration for about $1 billion, and voters must pass a statewide $2.9-billion bond act in the fall.

When the MTA first submitted the capital plan last October, it totalled almost $28 billion -- about $7 billion more than it is now.

Legislators asked the Authority to pare down the plan, and the MTA resubmitted it in December, with dozens of projects scratched, including the rehabilitation of 12 subway stations. The plan was held up another two times amid concerns about wages for contractors working on the projects.

Despite the trims, transportation advocate Elliot Sander, executive director for the Rudin Center for Transportation Policy & Management at New York University, called the approval "a major step forward
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 07-14-2005 at 02:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    My guess is the WSS will happen yet........

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    From your lips to Albany's ears.

BZ

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This does not guarantee the WSS will be built. My opinion is well known on the stadium. If they build the WSS, then I will travel to Manhattan, if they build in Queens, I will travel to Queens.

For Now, I will concern myself with the 2005 JETS

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67
    This does not guarantee the WSS will be built. My opinion is well known on the stadium. If they build the WSS, then I will travel to Manhattan, if they build in Queens, I will travel to Queens.

For Now, I will concern myself with the 2005 JETS
    I agree. Wherever they are, I will be there 10 games a year (plus a few more when I travel) but I do want them to have their own home and I do still think that the WSS is the best of all worlds.

BZ

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

2005. No one has ever said they would stop going to games due to the stadiums location. I sure as hell won't. But this MTA deal is another piece of the puzzle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    2005. No one has ever said they would stop going to games due to the stadiums location. I sure as hell won't. But this MTA deal is another piece of the puzzle.
    My point is we have had enough debate over what is a better location. with Training camp only 15 days away, its time to turn our attention to the 2005 NY JETS!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My point is we have had enough debate over what is a better location. with Training camp only 15 days away, its time to turn our attention to the 2005 NY JETS!!!
    Agreed. I cannot wait to finally start reading some REAL Jets news. While I was on the treadmill this AM I already planned out the first three tailgates for this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Absolutely.

Veteran
    Thank you, I really needed a laugh this morning.

BTW, you should probably stop breaking the lithium in half before you take it.....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by regen

BTW, you should probably stop breaking the lithium in half before you take it.....
    Funny as hell regen!!!!!!!!!! You people are still talking about this flop?? Fatman are you one of those people still driving around with a "Vote Kerry/Edwards" bumper sticker on your car?? A very good chuckle to start off my Thursday. Thank you!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99
    Funny as hell regen!!!!!!!!!!
    maybe in your own little non upholding christian values world, hell is funny, but its not. hell is a very serious issue, and it is reserved for people who do terrible things on earth like forgetting to go to church once, or not being christian at all, or even taking the name of the lord in vain. you just keep laughing hell off, sir, and keep up your evil non christian ways, and your tune about hell will change.

All Pro

This kind of confirms what a lot of us think. That your are only here to post against the stadium. (which I think is a done deal... done as in not happening)

I was curious, your last post was on June 24th, and surprise, related to the stadium.
    http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/se...?searchid=4762

Of your last 100 posts... 3 weren't about the stadium.

Why do I care? I don't know, I like looking information up instead of doing work, but seriously, what's your problem. This isn't the only thing that's going on in the Jets world

Hall Of Fame

What's with the personal attack? Do you suddenly consider anyone who supports a WSS the enemy? Just because you have a hair across your a$$ about ANYTHING pertaining to a WSS, is no reason to attack people.

And by the way, the stadium very well COULD still happen. The Jets just lost 300 million from the state. So what? They could easily still have a stadium only w/o a retractable roof. Or maybe Woody puts in 300 million more of his own $ to get it done. Or maybe the Jets find some additional investors to foot the 300 million. Are you catching my drift? Or are you busy thinking up your next insult?

Hall Of Fame

regen, i think its you that needs the lithium. maybe if you were on lithium then youd realize that the jets only play at the meadowlands 8 times a year, and the other 8 games are on the road, so its not necessary to go back to the meadowlands the weeks the jets arent there. dont worry though, the lithium you suggested will take of care this problem immediately.

Veteran
    What's with the personal attack? Do you suddenly consider anyone who supports a WSS the enemy? Just because you have a hair across your a$$ about ANYTHING pertaining to a WSS, is no reason to attack people.

And by the way, the stadium very well COULD still happen. The Jets just lost 300 million from the state. So what? They could easily still have a stadium only w/o a retractable roof. Or maybe Woody puts in 300 million more of his own $ to get it done. Or maybe the Jets find some additional investors to foot the 300 million. Are you catching my drift? Or are you busy thinking up your next insult?
    It wasn't a personal attack. It was advice, because if you think the WSS is still happening then you're seriously delusional. No sane person thinks the WSS is still happening after we lost the Olympics.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist
    This kind of confirms what a lot of us think. That your are only here to post against the stadium. (which I think is a done deal... done as in not happening)

I was curious, your last post was on June 24th, and surprise, related to the stadium.
    http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/se...?searchid=4762

Of your last 100 posts... 3 weren't about the stadium.

Why do I care? I don't know, I like looking information up instead of doing work, but seriously, what's your problem. This isn't the only thing that's going on in the Jets world
    Dude, you should seriously consider getting a life. Or hiring a hooker.

All Pro
    I was curious... it took all of 45 seconds to look this up, and I'm at work anyhow. So I was waiting for something else.

Doesn't really answer my question or explain your value on the board.

Yes - The West Side Stadium is probably a done deal -
    Yes - Cablevision won
    No - I really don't care
    But I am happy the NHL reached an agreement -

Hall Of Fame
    regen, whos life revolves around stopping the jets from getting the stadium telling somebody to get a life?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It wasn't a personal attack. It was advice, because if you think the WSS is still happening then you're seriously delusional. No sane person thinks the WSS is still happening after we lost the Olympics.

Woody Johnson thinks it's happening. Are saying he is not sane?