Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Strait was Our Most Improved Player Over the Spring

Hall Of Fame

Derrick Strait was Our Most Improved Player Over the Spring

Compliments to SuperChad from TGG.com

Note to anyone that is worried about it, I am not going to copy word for word stuff from a pay site. I payed for it anyway, so why give it away?

- Bradway says the coaches told him Strait was the most improved player over the Spring.

- Donnie H. told Tongue he didn't think Tongue looked like he wanted to be here after a bad practice. Tongue agreed that he did not want to be doing this anymore. Sounds more like an unofficial retirement to me. Tongue was then let go.

- Bradway says he expects Dreesen to be on the 53-man roster

- Randy Langue has a book on the Jets coming out in September

- In the training camp rundown, Leberfeld says he expects JAbe to report a few days before the season opener He does not give a reason why he thinks that will take so long other than the money issues.

- Leberfeld has Celestin getting the last spot over Washington and Pagel because of his ability to play corner.

- also in the rundown, McGill is projected to make a final roster spot at DT ahead of Harper and Reed only because of his size.

- And finally, the Jets could use a 3-4 D next season in some packages with Mark Brown and Hobsen on the field at the same time. Either way, the two shoud split about 50/50 on playing time. According to Leberfeld.
    Last edited by JMJ; 07-18-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Derrick Strait is a player pure and simple! Had he not been injured
    early last year he would have shown it then!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Derrick Strait is a player pure and simple! Had he not been injured
    early last year he would have shown it then!!
    I 100% agree and I've been touting Strait since last season!

wickedtwisted
    I like Strait as much as the next guy as well but it doesn't keep me from wanting Ty Law...

All Pro
    yeah Savage, that stinks about the injury. Had he been able to practice and get more time in all year, who knows?

Still he has been pretty good so far... except the plays he forgot to be in vs. SD

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Schnitzer
    yeah Savage, that stinks about the injury. Had he been able to practice and get more time in all year, who knows?

Still he has been pretty good so far... except the plays he forgot to be in vs. SD
    Rookie mistakes and the first time in all my years that I saw 2 10 men plays
    on the field in my life!!LOL But I think he's a Gamer!! I wouldn't be
    shocked if he's a surprise like Colemen was last year!!

All League
    The McGill quip is interesting. You would think with all the hype and posts by posters who "have watched this cat all season and know he's for REAL!" that he would crack the cut by his playing, not his size.

Am I interpreting it wrong? Hope not. If anything, he has Reed's motor PLUS size?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

how many good cornerbacks in the league blew S**T up in their rookie years???? Look around the league...many of these players shined after their rookie years.....I look at Strait and Miller and I see a good future. I also feel we are set at safety.

All League
    As a long time Oklahoma Sooner fan (by marriage), I have been pimping Derrick Strait for five years. He only fell to the 3rd round last year because he got hurt at the end of the 2003 season but instead of passing up the Senior Bowl participated in both the Senior Bowl and the Combine. He was awful because of a hamstring and a tweaked ankle he got at Senior Bowl practice.

In college he held Texas' WR Roy Williams (Detroit Lions) to ZERO TD's in four OU Texas Red River shootouts.

As a senior he won the Jim Thorpe award given to the best DB in college football as well as the Bronco Nagurski Award as the best college defensive player regardless of position. The last DB to snare both of those awards was fellow Sooner Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.bigugly.org/sooners.shtml

Hall Of Fame

good post rajensen...I mean the kid played well in 04 and was hurt..you don't win the Thorpe award for nothing.

thats some damn good info right there, great news about Strait, if he steps up, he'll make us feel better about not signing Law if that's the case.

Not surprised about Dreesen, too good for the PS, wonder if that means Dearth is gone?

Clestin over Washington? Our 5 safties will then be
    McGraw
    Coleman
    Rhodes
    Maddox
    Celestin
    I guess Wash goes to the PS

Hall Of Fame

thats a decent looking group of safeties and no doubt that Washington will go to the practice squad and probably be picked up by another team....no shock though...I had a feeling Maddox and Rhodes were going to play a role.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    As a long time Oklahoma Sooner fan (by marriage), I have been pimping Derrick Strait for five years. He only fell to the 3rd round last year because he got hurt at the end of the 2003 season but instead of passing up the Senior Bowl participated in both the Senior Bowl and the Combine. He was awful because of a hamstring and a tweaked ankle he got at Senior Bowl practice.

In college he held Texas' WR Roy Williams (Detroit Lions) to ZERO TD's in four OU Texas Red River shootouts.

As a senior he won the Jim Thorpe award given to the best DB in college football as well as the Bronco Nagurski Award as the best college defensive player regardless of position. The last DB to snare both of those awards was fellow Sooner Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.bigugly.org/sooners.shtml

Hey Rajensen who was the GM that drafted this stud..just curious?

Hall Of Fame
    :d

Lol :p

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack
    thats some damn good info right there, great news about Strait, if he steps up, he'll make us feel better about not signing Law if that's the case.

Not surprised about Dreesen, too good for the PS, wonder if that means Dearth is gone?

Clestin over Washington? Our 5 safties will then be
    McGraw
    Coleman
    Rhodes
    Maddox
    Celestin
    I guess Wash goes to the PS
    Dreesen would be likely to be picked up by someone else...

For some reason I don't think Washington could be put on PS, something to do with being on active roster or something? I could be totally wrong

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

One of the keys to a teams season is not only the new class of free agents/ draft picks/coaches making an impact in year one but the development and growth of our 2nd and 3rd year players.

The development of your 2nd and 3rd year guys is vital to a teams success. Some rookies fall off in their 2nd year or don't see much progress. If you get your 2nd year players to make a significant jump, it really upgrades your entire team.

That's why players like Derrick Strait, Adrian Jones, Jonathan Vilma, Erik Coleman, DeWayne Robertson, Cotchery etc are all going to be interesting players to watch in 05.

If these guys take the next step, The Jets will really be a factor in 05.

Some good young players start to become elite players in years 2 and 3. You see it all over the league. The Jets run defense improved last year partly because D-Rob made a signifcant jump from year one to year two. A change in coaching helped that as did, The upgrades at LB.

That's why you can't entirely base a team's talent on their performance from a year ago. You can't factor in which rookies will progress and which veterans will regress.

That's why you will see an 11 win team sometimes fall off to 7 and 9 because their 2nd year players don't take the next step and some of their veterans start to slip off.

Strait can play. He's still got some growing to do but he was pretty damn polished for a rookie last year. I was mostly impressed with his physical play especially his tackling.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack
    wonder if that means Dearth is gone?
    Dearth got a long term contract (longer than most - it was like a 8-10 year deal, if I remember correctly..) a few yrs ago, don't know if there's any serious cap implications if they do cut him...

As the article mentions, our long snapping has been excellent w/Dearth, it scares me to just throw that out ... cough cough Jints at SF cough cough

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    I 100% agree and I've been touting Strait since last season!
    I agree, this is Strait's season to stand up and show the rest of the NFL what we already know.

Veteran
    I agree with the blurb below. Actaully could be a positive, as J-Abe will not get hurt in camp. May also prolong his season as he will not go through the rigors of camp.

In the training camp rundown, Leberfeld says he expects JAbe to report a few days before the season opener He does not give a reason why he thinks that will take so long other than the money issues.

Practice Squad
    Ill get Strait to it I would love to see this kid start a Strait / Barrett backfield I am comforable with and see no need for the Laws involvement.