Thread: OT: Commuting to the NYC for work...

All League

OT: Commuting to the NYC for work...

Hi all,

Im sure that a bunch of you commute from Jersey to NYC everyday for work. I will be starting my first job over by the MetLife building on Park Ave in Manhattan and will be traveling from North Jersey... Do any of you work on the East Side and if so how exactly do you get there???

Thanks so much!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

your best bet would probably be taking a bus into Port Authority and then hopping on the shuttle subway service which brings you over to Grand Central Station (42nd btw Park and Lex)...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetChefJR
    Hi all,

Im sure that a bunch of you commute from Jersey to NYC everyday for work. I will be starting my first job over by the MetLife building on Park Ave in Manhattan and will be traveling from North Jersey... Do any of you work on the East Side and if so how exactly do you get there???

Thanks so much!

I did the daily commute from Dover, NJ to Park Ave on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, you have to take NJ Transit into Penn Station and either walk up to the Met Building or take the subway.

Grand Central is right there, but NJ Transit only goes into Penn Station.

Taking the bus into Port Authority is another option.

Man, I don't miss that commute at all.

All Pro
    I work at the CSFB, at 23rd and Park. Although I live on LI, I usually have to goto Jersey City to support our Disaster Recovery site. I take the Path from there to 23rd. From there, I do not know a subway line that will get you from there to your job. May have to cab it

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Hi all,

Thanks so much!
    Congrads on your new job!

I wish you much luck & success in your new position. Are you getting into financial planning and/or life insurance?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    I work at the CSFB, at 23rd and Park. Although I live on LI, I usually have to goto Jersey City to support our Disaster Recovery site. I take the Path from there to 23rd. From there, I do not know a subway line that will get you from there to your job. May have to cab it
    tell me you work in OMA. that's where i am.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I live in JC and needed to got to 28th and Park Ave one day. I took the PATH(you can get it from Newark) to WFC. Then got on the E uptown to W4th, the F(or V) to 14th, the L over to Union Sq, and then the 6(you can get the 4,5 or 6 depending on where you need to stop). A PATH train and 4 subway lines sounds like a rough trip, but I was surprised at how fast it got me there. The other time I needed to be there I took the 99s right to PA and cabbed it. The subway route is much cheaper and in times of traffic will definitely be shorter.

All League
    I need to get to about 51/52 St...

So if I take NJ Transit into Port Authority, my only 2 options are subway or walking?!?!

I would think theres buses or something no??? Please forgive my ignorance because as you can tell I'm not very acquainted with the big city...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady
    Congrads on your new job!

I wish you much luck & success in your new position. Are you getting into financial planning and/or life insurance?

Since I just graduated with a computer engineering degree, I won't be doing any financial stuff in the near future. Instead, I will be be bouncing among various companies/clients and analyzing their computer systems to see how secure they, giving them advice on future planning, etc., etc...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets
    tell me you work in OMA. that's where i am.
    Yea...OMA 1B

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    I did the daily commute from Dover, NJ to Park Ave on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, you have to take NJ Transit into Penn Station and either walk up to the Met Building or take the subway.

Grand Central is right there, but NJ Transit only goes into Penn Station.

Taking the bus into Port Authority is another option.

Take the bus. I like to walk, so I would probably hike it to Park Ave from the Port Authority, but I am certain there is a subway that can get you over to Park Ave.

Hall Of Fame
    Since I just graduated with a computer engineering degree, I won't be doing any financial stuff in the near future. Instead, I will be be bouncing among various companies/clients and analyzing their computer systems to see how secure they, giving them advice on future planning, etc., etc...
    Congrats, my comp sci brutha; please tell me you are NOT part of the Evil Empire (Micro$ux).

Veteran

So if I take NJ Transit into Port Authority, my only 2 options are subway or walking?!?!

I would think theres buses or something no??? Please forgive my ignorance because as you can tell I'm not very acquainted with the big city...
    You can take a cross town bus on 42nd but the best way is to take the 7 train to Grand Central and then transfer to the 6 train to 51st street. You'll get out of the train right where you work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

you can also take the E train from port authority, which you can take to Lexington and 53rd (one ave east and 2 blocks north of your building).. that's probably your best bet..

the bus into manhattan isnt that bad- yes, the traffic in the morning sucks, but buses have their express lanes.. a monthly subway pass is $76... unlimited usage..

there are crosstown manhattan buses, but traffic in midtown during the morning is unbearable.. you can walk it faster.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

How long of a commute should I expect???

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

How long of a commute should I expect???
    Very. You can actually get an idea by looking up the train sched on njtransit.com. Figure on another 10 minutes on the E train.

Shuler82's advice is the best yet. I forgot that the E train heads east since I never took it that far north.

All League

Crosstown bus is NOT recommended. Take the E to Lex. Sit in the back of the train so you exit by Lex, and walk one block to Park. If you sit in the front, you will exit on Third Ave and have to walk two (long) blocks.