Thread: Law article

Hall Of Fame

Law article

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 12:05 p.m. EDT, July 30, 2005

TY WANTS THREE YEARS OF GUARANTEED COIN

A league source tells us that the primary sticking points in cornerback Ty Law's contractual demands is that he wants the first three years of the deal to be fully guaranteed.

Such a move would be rare if not unprecedented for any NFL player. As a practical matter, many contracts given to high-end players are "guaranteed" for at least three years, given the cap consequences of a premature release. Where huge bonus figures are paid in years one and two (via an option payment), the chances of a team swallowing the huge cap hit incident to a release are remote. Thus, few of the league's premier players have ever had the occasion to demand that the team formalize an arrangement that it's already in the team's interests to provide.

So while the total money Law is demanding is keeping teams like the Lions and the Jets from making the plunge, Ty's desire for an official guarantee through 2007 is a major reason why teams are shying away.

And Law is hardly in a good position to command financial security beyond 2005, especially as he recovers from a serious foot injury that still has teams questioning whether he'll be at 100 percent come September.

All Pro
    Dont wanna be a cry baby but I felt
    a twinge in meh foot while I was
    driveing meh SUV, to pick up deh
    wife.

Could it be I lis franc it!

All League
    If Law keeps waiting, and Justin Miller keeps developing then Ty may wait himself out of a contract with the Jets.