Thread: If you were drafting all 11 positions on "D",what order of importance would you draft

Practice Squad

If you were drafting all 11 positions on "D",what order of importance would you draft

My order and reasons for doing so:

#1 Defensive Tackle- Reason: must stop the run up the middle, or else that is all offense will do to beat you.

#2 Defensive Tackle #2- See above.

#3 Defensive End- Need a pass rusher who can make qb throw faster, thus helping out safeties and d backs in coverage. If you had a great d backfield, but could not rush the qb, then qb would still complete passes all day long.

#4 Middle Linebacker- Reason: must stop run up the middle, and allow linebacker to make plays side to side of the field, and be the qb of the defense.

#5 Cornerback #1 - Stop the short, quick passes, make hits when necessary.

#6 Cornerback #2- See reason above.

#7 Safety #1- QB of the defensive backfield, and stop the long pass.

#8 Defensive End #2- Stop the run; free up outside linebacker to make plays.

#9 Outside Linebacker #1 Stop the run; blitz qb when able

#10 .Outside Linebacker #2- See Reason above.

#11 Safety #2- Pass coverage.

I am curious to see other people's perspective on this list.

If you go by my list, then the 2nd most important person on defense, the other defensive tackle, has not been highly thought of this offseason by the Jets. This is why I feel that the most important thing we needed to do this offseason is replace Ferguson. What do others think?

All League
    Pretty good list - You are correct that it all starts with the DL. If you don't believe me just look at what the best coach in the league thinks. In 4 drafts with the Pats, where he set the board, he was picked 3 DLmen in round one, all of whom are starters on a very good DL. The second most impactful position is CB, followed by S, then LB last.

IMHO the reason this order exists is that a 300+ lb guy who is athletic, tough, smart, aggressive, and skillfull is the hardest commodity to find, simply because there just aren't that many. The same goes for CB - There are only so many guys who are super fast, super agile to compete with NFL WRs, and are also tough enough to take on 300lb offensive line men, and tackle 230lb RBs who usually out weight them by 40-50lbs

The reason LBs are last is the same, there are simple a lot more 230-250lb fast, agile, tough, etc guys walking the planet. That's why you have never seen the Pats draft a LB in the first day under BB.

Rarity is the reason certain positions are more important than other. BTW on offense I think the order should be QB, OL, TE, RB, WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken
    Pretty good list - You are correct that it all starts with the DL. If you don't believe me just look at what the best coach in the league thinks. In 4 drafts with the Pats, where he set the board, he was picked 3 DLmen in round one, all of whom are starters on a very good DL. The second most impactful position is CB, followed by S, then LB last.

IMHO the reason this order exists is that a 300+ lb guy who is athletic, tough, smart, aggressive, and skillfull is the hardest commodity to find, simply because there just aren't that many. The same goes for CB - There are only so many guys who are super fast, super agile to compete with NFL WRs, and are also tough enough to take on 300lb offensive line men, and tackle 230lb RBs who usually out weight them by 40-50lbs

The reason LBs are last is the same, there are simple a lot more 230-250lb fast, agile, tough, etc guys walking the planet. That's why you have never seen the Pats draft a LB in the first day under BB.

Rarity is the reason certain positions are more important than other. BTW on offense I think the order should be QB, OL, TE, RB, WR.
    I guess BB learned from his days with the Browns when they took LB
    Craig Powell in the first rd..Never heard of him?? Exactly!!
    Although I don't think he would have minded Vilma at all!!

Practice Squad
    Patsfanken,

You are a smart guy. Your analysis on rarity of physical specimens walking the planet hit the nail on the head.

I agree with you mostly on offense as well, except for one exception. I place the running back after the O line, and put the tight end position the last on the O list. Running backs need to have visual ability, feel of the holes; ability beyond physical; ability that can not be taught. Wide recievers need to run exact routes, and expand the field so that the defense plays honest, and does not tighten up the field. Well written.
    Last edited by Evsbabes; 07-31-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Practice Squad
    1- I would take a Pass rushing DE
    2- I would take a CB
    3- I would take a DT
    4- I would take a Safety
    5- I would take a MLB
    6- Another DE
    7- Another CB
    8- Another DT
    9- Another S
    10 and 11- Get the outside Line backers...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    it's not about position as much as it's about players.

Yes a dominant front 7 is key but there are several ways to skin that cat.

Given the opportunity to pick the second overall player in the "all-time" draft on this site not too long ago, I took LT.

He was the best defensive player of all time.

Judging by position importance only I should have taken a DT or DE it could be argued, but there's no substitute for game-changing impact superstars, almost regardless of the position.

You want game changers and you want them in their prime, _before_ they went on MNF and played with a dislocated shoulder and a head full of toots and the maytals.

All Pro
    Mlb
    Olb
    De
    Dt
    S
    De
    Olb
    Dt
    S
    Cb
    Cb

All Pro
    You take the best defensive player available to you when it`s your turn to pick regardless of position.

Here`s a better Question some 4 yrs later.Who do you pick 1st,David Carr or Julius Peppers.I chose Peppers and got ridiculed for it back then.

Veteran
    1) DE - without any pressure on the QB, its tough for the entire defense
    2) MLB - "captain" of the defense, plays sideline to sideline
    3) DT - to stop the run and get interior pressure
    4) CB - a boost having someone who can cover one side of the field
    5) DE - need that pressure
    6) DT - same reasons
    7) OLB
    8) CB
    9) OLB
    10) S
    11) S

I put safeties last because they are the last line of defense...although having good safeties can really help your D, having weaker safeties is not as bad as having bad position players at any of the other 9 positions, IMHO.

Practice Squad
    Bitoni and Tinstar,

Please do not read into this more than the simple question I raised.

Assume that when choosing a player, all the players are of the exact same value at the time of choosing.

For example, when picking the first player, assume that all 11 player positions you are choosing have the exact playing cabability. When choosing the second player, assume that all 10 positions remaining have the same value at the time you are choosing this player; if that helps.

All Pro
    In That case:

DE: The QB is most important ,and getting him down or forcing him to a mistake is most Important.

CB: If somehow the QB gets the Ball off before my DE kills him,can you say pick.

MLB: Someone has to make the calls,and lead on the field.

DTrotection for my MLB.Exact opposite on offense.LT 1st then QB.

FS:Even the best CB occasionally needs help.

DTrotection for my MLB.

WLB:Toughest position to cover in NFL is slot receiver.This guy i use to blitz,cover the soft underneath and the TE.

SS: Help for my Will against the TE,and in the underneath zone against Backs.

DE:Every speed demon needs a run stuffing bookend.

CB:Most teams #2 is that for a reason.The slot guy scares me more than the #2.

Sam: protects the speed demon DE who usually forgets about outside containment.Should be a good enough athelete to use as occasional blitzer.

That`s how i would build my defense.

All League
    DL first and foremost, starting in the middle.

As PFK mentioned, there is a "planet principle" long advocated by Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick--- that there are very few athletic 300 pound men on this planet, so when you have the chance to get one, you take it.

DE is another position, particularly since the expectations for a 4-3 DE are generally fairly unrealistic--- 6'4 to 6'6, 280-290 lbs, 4.5 or 4.6 40 speed, strong enough to stop the run, fast enough to rush the passer, good technique, instinctive, able to make quick diagnoses as to what the play is....

It's unreal. No one really fits that package yet teams expect it.

IMO it all starts at the DL, and as in baseball I think a defense needs to be strong from the inside out---- that doesn't mean that S is more important than CB, but IMO it's closer than people think.

On offense,

QB
    OL*
    RB
    TE
    WR
    OL

What I mean by that is this. After the QB (obvious pick) it is most critical that the OL NOT BE BAD. An OL significantly worse than "average" will KILL a team. However, once your OL is at least competent, all the other offensive positions are of greater importance before worrying about making your OL GREAT.

Despite people always saying "it's not his fault behind that line" or "I could run behind that line", I've become more and more convinced that the RB has more to do with the ground games success than the OL. Not that the OL doesn't matter.... but the RB is much more important unless we're talking a truly atrocious OL or an all-world OL (like KC).... and maybe even then....

I take TE over WR because IMO nothing changes the nature of an offense more than a capable, versatile TE, and they have a bit of a planet principle of their own---- there are fast TEs with good hands, there are big TEs who can block.... but there are very few big, fast TEs who block and catch well, and when you have one it poses a HELL of a problem for the defense.

All League
    and btw, while I realize part of the 4-3 issue has been its dominance, making 3-4 DLmen less demanded and stretching the 4-3 supply thin, IMO the 3-4 is more realistic in its demands.

285-300 lb 3-4 DEs with good strength and decent speed (explosiveness, insane athleticism, and ability to rip through the line are NOT key, usually) are a heck of a lot easier to find than the often unrealistic 4-3 DE model, and the need to find a capable, strong 300+ pounder is reduced to just one guy, who has to be a bit heavier (320+ preferrably), stronger, and able to handle consistant double teams (and must be durable enough to take that pounding) yet also does not need sick athleticism or explosiveness is easier than finding two bulldog 300 pounders who can hold the line, explode through gaps, and handle the complex responsibilities of an under tackle.

All League

disagree

i think you need to take a corner high in the draft. great corners like deion sanders shut down one side of the field and can cancle out the opposing teams best reciever. if you can shut down a side of the field or a top player you can be more agressive on defense and cause more turnovers.

All League
    Fact: Outside linebacker is the easiest position to master and excel at on the football field.

Additional fact: Defensive tackles who are athletic and who play the position properly are beyond rare.

I don't want to write out a whole list, but these two would be the bookends of it - D-tackle first, outside LB last.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius
    i think you need to take a corner high in the draft. great corners like deion sanders shut down one side of the field and can cancle out the opposing teams best reciever. if you can shut down a side of the field or a top player you can be more agressive on defense and cause more turnovers.
    Deion Sanders and ?????

The Myth of the Shutdown Corner is almost as bad a distorter of team and fan strategizing as the Myth of the 4.55 285# DE.

Shutdown Corners are like unicorns. Forget about it.

Much better to be realistic and look for CBs who can play well in zone, can play adequately in man to man with some deep safety support, and maybe if you're lucky a bit better than that.

Looking for a true shutdown who has his man with no safety help and lets you play "Deion" coverage.... forget it. don't waste your time.