Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Player On The Jets is....................

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Best Player On The Jets is....................

Well, It's not Chad Pennington. Although He is the most important part of the team. The QB is the most important position and our success is dependent on him staying healthy this year.

It's not John Abraham. Although, He is a difference maker and a force when healthy. He's not The Jets most reliable and complete player.

It's not Kevin Mawae. As great as Kevin is and he is great. Mawae is not the best player on The Jets team. Although, He is real close. He is consistently great from year to year and has become a big time leader. If he had rings, He'd be considered a hall of fame type player.

It's not Curtis Martin. As consistent and as reliable as Curtis is. He's not the best player on this team.

It's not Jonathan Vilma. He might be there someday but as good as he is and can be. He isn't right now.

THE BEST PLAYER ON THE NEW YORK JETS RIGHT NOW IS.......................

SHAUN ELLIS.

Watch camp, Watch practice, Watch the games. Shaun Ellis is the best player on the Jets right now. In my opinion, He was the teams MVP last year. He's the most complete player on The Jets right now and quite frankly, I think he's the best left defensive end in the game. If he isn't #1, He's top 3 for sure and he's worth every cent, The Jets gave him last year.

All you have to do is go back and watch the games last season. He made so many plays that didn't show up on the stat sheet.

Ellis dominated in the run game and in the pass game. He was a force. Even when John went down.

What cemented his status for me was the leadership role he took last year and how big he came up for this team in big games.

Shaun Ellis was a monster in big games last year. Against St.Louis, He had 3 sacks. Against San Diego in the playoffs, He was a force, Made some of the biggest plays of the season in that game especially on The Nate Kaeding missed field goal drive. Ellis stopped LT for a loss when The Jets defense was exhausted and reeling. Then in Pittsburgh, Ellis came up huge again. Beating a double team and then stripping Jerome Bettis of the football and giving The Jets possesion. That play has been forgotten. Not by me.

In my opinion,. Shaun is the most complete player on the team and he's in his prime and at his peak. He plays top shelf on every down and gives his all. He played HUGE when the games were HUGE.That's the most important thing to me. He's the best player on The Jets in my opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    Well, It's not Chad Pennington. Although He is the most important part of the team. The QB is the most important position and our success is dependent on him staying healthy this year.

It's not John Abraham. Although, He is a difference maker and a force when healthy. He's not The Jets most reliable and complete player.

It's not Kevin Mawae. As great as Kevin is and he is great. Mawae is not the best player on The Jets team. Although, He is real close. He is consistently great from year to year and has become a big time leader. If he had rings, He'd be considered a hall of fame type player.

It's not Curtis Martin. As consistent and as reliable as Curtis is. He's not the best player on this team.

It's not Jonathan Vilma. He might be there someday but as good as he is and can be. He isn't right now.

THE BEST PLAYER ON THE NEW YORK JETS RIGHT NOW IS.......................

SHAUN ELLIS.

Watch camp, Watch practice, Watch the games. Shaun Ellis is the best player on the Jets right now. In my opinion, He was the teams MVP last year. He's the most complete player on The Jets right now and quite frankly, I think he's the best left defensive end in the game. If he isn't #1, He's top 3 for sure and he's worth every cent, The Jets gave him last year.

All you have to do is go back and watch the games last season. He made so many plays that didn't show up on the stat sheet.

Ellis dominated in the run game and in the pass game. He was a force. Even when John went down.

What cemented his status for me was the leadership role he took last year and how big he came up for this team in big games.

Shaun Ellis was a monster in big games last year. Against St.Louis, He had 3 sacks. Against San Diego in the playoffs, He was a force, Made some of the biggest plays of the season in that game especially on The Nate Kaeding missed field goal drive. Ellis stopped LT for a loss when The Jets defense was exhausted and reeling. Then in Pittsburgh, Ellis came up huge again. Beating a double team and then stripping Jerome Bettis of the football and giving The Jets possesion. That play has been forgotten. Not by me.

In my opinion,. Shaun is the most complete player on the team and he's in his prime and at his peak. He plays top shelf on every down and gives his all. He played HUGE when the games were HUGE.That's the most important thing to me. He's the best player on The Jets in my opinion.

when you say best, you mean most productive in relation to other players at his position and the biggest contributor... its c-mart

TMahoney
    I agree, best blend of natural ability, character and determination.

Though, ya gotta admit, he is 10X the player he is when Abraham is playing on the other side.

All League
    I agree with YJF.

I respect the hell out of Shaun Ellis and would love to have him on my team.

Vilma will contend for the slot soon though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    I agree, best blend of natural ability, character and determination.

Though, ya gotta admit, he is 10X the player he is when Abraham is playing on the other side.
    I agree spackler but what showed me that Ellis was great last year was when John was out.

Shaun got more attention from opposing offenses but that didn't stop him. His 3 best games last year were the 3 most important games of the season for The Jets. The season ender in Pittsburgh, the playoff win in San Diego and The regular season finale in St. Louis.

As much as I love Chad and Curtis. There were moments last year where they didn't have big games. I went back and watched every game last season from the first snap to the last. Ellis was the best player on the team from opening day to The Brien debacle in Pittsburgh.

He became a different guy last season. He was always a good player who went un-noticed. He carried that defensive front and put all the weight on his shoulders. This guy is a big time player.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

best player in 2005 will be L Coles

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot

when you say best, you mean most productive in relation to other players at his position and the biggest contributor... its c-mart
    CMart is a great player Chipshot but he didn't dominate every week like Ellis did. CMart's success is helped by the players around him. Most RB's need the o-line to play well in front of them and need their passing game to atleast be somewhat of a threat, in order to have success.

In comparison of a total career. Martin beats out Ellis. No question. But as far as the year 2004 and 2005 goes and moving forward. Shaun Ellis is a complete player. No flaws. He can over power lineman or run around them. He can beat two blockers at once. He always controls his gaps and his side of the field. He's just real good. You really see it when you go back and watch the games. TRUST ME.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

looking at this team...there is no real one best player...jets are a team that has quite a few good players...I mean Justin Miller can be one of the teams better players by seasons end.......we'll see.

Banned
    CMart is a great player Chipshot but he didn't dominate every week like Ellis did. CMart's success is helped by the players around him. Most RB's need the o-line to play well in front of them and need their passing game to atleast be somewhat of a threat, in order to have success.

In comparison of a total career. Martin beats out Ellis. No question. But as far as the year 2004 and 2005 goes and moving forward. Shaun Ellis is a complete player. No flaws. He can over power lineman or run around them. He can beat two blockers at once. He always controls his gaps and his side of the field. He's just real good. You really see it when you go back and watch the games. TRUST ME.
    look at the o lines ellis faced most of the week most of them were in the bottom half of the year, and he had an all pro d line to support him with ferg and abraham

look at the o lines ellis faced most of the week most of them were in the bottom half of the year, and he had an all pro d line to support him with ferg and abraham
    Well, its not like Curtis Martin had a crud O-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ferguson was The 4th best player on the d-line last year. He had a very good season. Shaun was The Jets best defensive player and lineman last year. John was 2nd. Mostly because he didn't play the whole year. Robertson stepped up big time,. He was the key in the middle because the year before, He struggled and The Jets run D inside with Fergy and D-Rob wasn't real good.

When John Abraham went down. That made Shaun's job harder. Abraham was playing on a high level when he got hurt against Houston. I expected Shaun's level of play to go down a bit. It didn't. Pittsburgh and San Diego had two of the most successful o-lines in football last year.

Shaun Ellis got double teamed in the playoffs.There was no John Abraham. He was the teams best player. The Jets never gave him a blow and whenever he was on the sidelines. Defense struggled mightily.

Banned
    Ferguson was The 4th best player on the d-line last year. He had a very good season. Shaun was The Jets best defensive player and lineman last year. John was 2nd. Mostly because he didn't play the whole year. Robertson stepped up big time,. He was the key in the middle because the year before, He struggled and The Jets run D inside with Fergy and D-Rob wasn't real good.

When John Abraham went down. That made Shaun's job harder. Abraham was playing on a high level when he got hurt against Houston. I expected Shaun's level of play to go down a bit. It didn't. Pittsburgh and San Diego had two of the most successful o-lines in football last year.

Shaun Ellis got double teamed in the playoffs.There was no John Abraham. He was the teams best player. The Jets never gave him a blow and whenever he was on the sidelines. Defense struggled mightily.
    like you said it was in youre opinion that ellis was the best player, there is no real way to measure and determine "the best player" mvp award tries to do that, but it always is given to a qb/rb/wr so i dont care much for the mvp award. I just think martin was the jets best and most consistant player not only of the year but of his carrier and time with the jets

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

like you said it was in youre opinion that ellis was the best player, there is no real way to measure and determine "the best player" mvp award tries to do that, but it always is given to a qb/rb/wr so i dont care much for the mvp award. I just think martin was the jets best and most consistant player not only of the year but of his carrier and time with the jets
    You are talking to someone who loves Curtis Martin ever since his college days. I have always been a fan of the way he runs the football and the way he carries himself on and off the field.

Production wise in terms of statistics, Hard to argue with 1,700 rushing yards and 12 tds.

But game in and game out. The best player on The Jets last year was Shaun Ellis. Martin had a few so so games. Ellis didn't. It's two totally different positions and I am glad we have both players. I am not knocking CMart. Just throwing some overdue praise Ellis's way. He deserves praise.

Rookie
    The best player on the Jets is James Dearth

I thought that was widely known already?

Banned
    Here's how I determine who our best player is ...

I try to imagine an expansion draft where I can select ONE PLAYER off the Jets roster, taking everything into consideration {talent, position, age, injury, production, upside, etc.}

Then I ask, which player would I snatch?

ANSWER

JON VILMA

My second choice, under those circumstances, would be DeWayne Robertson
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-02-2005 at 01:27 AM.

All Pro
    YJF, I respectfullly disagree.

I like Shaun Ellis, he is infact my favourite defensive player. He has a sense of morals and goals which I'm sad to say Abraham does not seem to posses

He is a complete package in the sense that he stops the run well and rushes the passer well. That being said, he is not the best player. That award goes to Kevin Mawae.

This is not a knock on Ellis but if you have a 5 time probowler, consistent as ever and has always managed a 1000 yard rusher you have a star. No matter what his supporting crew (Dave Szott and Brent Smith at one point )
    he has still shown leadership and consistency. He is not eve one of the stronger centers in the league. Ellis on the other hand has only shown me 2-2.5 years of consistency. He is on track but he is no where near as good as Mawae.

Best player all around is shaun ellis I agree.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Here's how I determine who our best player is ...

I try to imagine an expansion draft where I can select ONE PLAYER off the Jets roster, taking everything into consideration {talent, age, injury, upside, etc.}

Then I ask, which player would I snatch?

ANSWER

JON VILMA

My second choice, under those circumstances, would be DeWayne Robertson
    That's a good way to think. In terms of upside. Vilma will probably be The Jets best player.

In terms of 2005. Shaun Ellis is the best overall player on defense and Kevin Mawae is the best overall player on offense. Both guys were consistently great week in and week out last year. Ellis is in his prime and is an absolute force. He raised his level of play and is a team captain for a reason.

Vilma was so great for a rookie last year. It's funny because. I said that he was a difference maker on this site before The 2004 draft and alot of Jets fans didn't want him. They said he wasn't good enough for The 12th pick in the draft...LOL... They said he was too small and was better suited to be an outside linebacker or safety. LOL

All League

Talking

the best player on the jets is laveranues coles

i called it last week when i said he would catch 1,000 passes by the end of his career and i meant it

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189
    YJF, I respectfullly disagree.

I like Shaun Ellis, he is infact my favourite defensive player. He has a sense of morals and goals which I'm sad to say Abraham does not seem to posses

He is a complete package in the sense that he stops the run well and rushes the passer well. That being said, he is not the best player. That award goes to Kevin Mawae.

This is not a knock on Ellis but if you have a 5 time probowler, consistent as ever and has always managed a 1000 yard rusher you have a star. No matter what his supporting crew (Dave Szott and Brent Smith at one point )
    he has still shown leadership and consistency. He is not eve one of the stronger centers in the league. Ellis on the other hand has only shown me 2-2.5 years of consistency. He is on track but he is no where near as good as Mawae.
    Even though, I think Ellis is at his peak as a player right now and is the best overall player on the team. He stepped up to a new level last year as a player and a leader.

I can't argue with you much on Kevin Mawae. Because it's a convincing argument. You can really make the argument that Kevin is the best player on this team and noone in their right mind can really knock that opinion. It's vaild.