Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannizzaro Debut JI Article

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Cannizzaro Debut JI Article

Rookie
    That's some really great insight in that article about John Abraham. Thats a real good article for the die-hard fan and not the same type of run of the mill stuff printed in all the newspapers geared for the casual fan. I am looking forward to the next article already. Many great points brought up by Canizzaro

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Excellent piece.

Abraham, too, made a mistake when he told reporters that he would have "no problem'' if the team put the "franchise tag'' on him, saying that whatever the average salary of the top five players at his position would be ($6.67 million) would end up being a lot more money than he'd ever made.
    And as a fan, I love John Abraham as a player, but it's difficult to give him a pass for going back on his word. I really think he's gotten some bad advice from his agent.

All League
    Good article on the JA situation. The Jets have tried to downplay it thus far. As far as I'm concerned, as long as he is physically ready to play come Week 1, I'm fine with him holding out of camp. That's just fewer opportunities for him to sustain another devestating injury.

One thing I'll say about Abraham being unfairly depicted as a selfish player, he was the one who said he had to consider his future. (or whatever the quote was) And he could have taken that back after he said it, but he didn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good, good stuff

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER
    Cannizarro is planting a big wet one on Bradway's behind. Abraham is the one who should be seething. On the free market he would make 19 to 20 million in guaranteed money. To make it worse Bradway caves in to Coles demand and gives him more money even though Coles was under contract. To top it off they might give Ty Law a kings ransom eve nthough Law is coming off a worse injury than Abraham had.

The Jets should guarantee that they won't franchise Abraham again and he'll sign the franchise sheet. Otherwise my advice for Abraham is not to sign until after game 8 and take 3 million for playing half the season.

All League
    I really think he's gotten some bad advice from his agent.
    I totally agree. Before last season, Abraham and his agent clearly had a plan:

Clean up off the field. Work out like a demon, be completely dedicated to having a big season. And playing up to his potential for the Jets.

Now here's the problem which I believe has lead to this squabble between the Jets and Abraham: Abraham and his agents believe he had that homerun season in 2004 - 9.5 sacks in 11.5 games. But in reality, he didn't.

He played .5 out of 7 games in December and January. Including 2 games against the Steelers, a game against the Pats, and a game against the Rams where the Jets needed all the passrush they could get.

Now, to be fair, I believe the Jets would not have won the games against the 49ers and Bills early in the season without Abraham. But I can't give him a huge contract off a season where he did nothing to dissuade anyone's fears about his durability, which is his single biggest drawback as a player.

Veteran
    Great Article! Really like the angle and just wish J. ABE had the same attitude as CHAD. But I guess thats a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    Cannizarro is planting a big wet one on Bradway's behind. Abraham is the one who should be seething. On the free market he would make 19 to 20 million in guaranteed money. To make it worse Bradway caves in to Coles demand and gives him more money even though Coles was under contract. To top it off they might give Ty Law a kings ransom eve nthough Law is coming off a worse injury than Abraham had.
    Im not sure if he would make that much. Kearse got about 16 and Strahan got about 20. Ellis got 15. The knock around the league on Abe is that he cant play 16 games relatively injury free. Kearse has similar issues and most would say the Eagles overpaid---I think even now they wonder why TOs agent is happy to renegotiate Ownes deal since he "outperformed" it, yet wont do the same for his other client who did not live up to his deal. Law hasnt gotten much attention so far and Boulware cant find a job. Teams arent throwing money at guys like mad because they are more and more cap savvy now. If Abe plays 16 games hell get Strahan money. If he goes out and gets hurt he'll make less than Ellis. Its in Abrahams best interest to go out and play this year. Its the only way hes going to get that huge contract he feels he deserves.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by jrochwa
    Thats a real good article for the die-hard fan and not the same type of run of the mill stuff printed in all the newspapers geared for the casual fan. I am looking forward to the next article already. Many great points brought up by Canizzaro
    This is just a taste of what you will be getting twice a week as a member. Don't miss out. Sign up now!

http://www.jetsinsider.net/ji/jets_insider_club.php

All League
    I would love to join... it sucks being a broke college student.

All Pro
    Good Piece. Glad he also felt that Abraham was portrayed badly in the latter part of the season.

Still wish he was in camp though.

Banned
    First off, Great column from Mark as usual ... I've always said he's the best in the business and he certainly didn't disappoint with his first installment at JI

Having said that, I luv ya Mark ... if you have been reading this board for any length of time, you know it's true ... but you expressed one idea in this column I could not possibly disgree with any more, though respectfully of course

What should have taken place was some kind of verbal accord between Jets' management and Abraham that included a promise that they wouldn't franchise him a second time around.

Now the Abraham side has proposed to the Jets a similar deal to the one that Seattle signed its franchise player, running back Shaun Alexander, to: A one-year deal for 2005 with written promise that he would not be tagged with the franchise label again or traded somewhere he didn't authorize.

There, however, is likely too much acrimony between the two sides now for the Jets to offer that kind of freedom to Abraham.
    Well then thank goodness for acrimony, cause I would have hit the ceiling if the Jets ever made this offer!

I think what the Seahawks did here, with a young impact player, basically giving him his complete freedom to fly the coop after 2005, and all simply to get him in camp early, represents the absolute height of incompetence!

There is no way in hell I would ever surrender my only leverage {the tag} to a young impact player simply to get him into camp early ... virtually assuring his departure the following year, with zero compensation to show for it ... OR, put him in a position where his agent has a loaded pistol to my head and thus can name his own price ... take it or leave it ... and if I don't take it, that player is in the wind and I get nothing in return

That might seem like a good idea at the time, but come seasons end you will never stop kickin yourself in the @$$

WHOLLY MACKERAL ... what was Seahawks management drinking ... and whatever it was, please keep that bottle as far away from Terry Bradway as is humanly possible

Honest truth, I'd rather Abe show up at the last possible minute ... Sept 5 ... then ever make an offer like this one

I am stunned ... blown away ... absolutely floored, that the Seahawks did this

Anyhow, other than that I LOVED your first column with JI ... really did ... it lent a far greater insight into this whole Abe scenario than anyone has been led to believe, AND I BELIEVE EVERY WORD OF IT ... I am certain this has to piss the Jets off so much more than they are letting on

And you better believe I will be one of those who rips into Abe with everything I have if he shows up late and gets hurt ... which with this guy is a virtual gimmie ... when he specifically said he would gladly play for the franchise tag

Afterall, what is so horrible about TOP 5 DE MONEY for one year ... proving you can stay healthy ... and then making a killing next year?

But I digress

Great column, Mark ... and I especially love that last part ... Ty Law will be a Jet
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-03-2005 at 02:59 AM.

All League
    Good article, and a fair presentation of the facts.

And the fact is, the team and fans do have a right to be teed off at him for missing camp.

All League
    This is just a taste of what you will be getting twice a week as a member. Don't miss out. Sign up now!

I knew this thread had a hidden agenda.

Charter JI Member
    great article...

I'm glad I reas this thread before I posted, because I am in complete agreement with Ham.

What the Seahawks did should be considered illegal. There are rules in place, they are to protect players, and clubs. IMHO finding a loophole, that solves a problem for one season, does irreperable damage to the rest of the league. Seattle's ownership did a disservice to the rest of the owners in the league, and placed new restrictions on future contract negotiations.

Not good for the league.

Hall Of Fame

Exclamation

Great article, but does the membership come with a guarantee of no trolls, whether they be Jets fans or not?

Hall Of Fame

how are all these rookies and such saying what a great article it is????? when i click the link it tells me that it is only for members....I thought the content would be available to all for a few weeks as a preview then exclusive for members???

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    how are all these rookies and such saying what a great article it is????? when i click the link it tells me that it is only for members....I thought the content would be available to all for a few weeks as a preview then exclusive for members???

I read it yesterday - looks like it changed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum
    I read it yesterday - looks like it changed.
    aha!!