Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victor Hobson Out, Darrell Mcclover In(MY OPINION)

All League

Talking Victor Hobson Out, Darrell Mcclover In(MY OPINION)

why in the hell is this guy still on the team?

he has proven every year that he cannot run with the other linebackers

can he hit? yeah, he can hit, but it doesn't matter how hard you hit if you cant catch up with anyone

last year hobson got his job taken away by mark brown, i had no idea who the f*ck he was until the anouncer called the starting lineups

and why did we sign gardner? does that mean they finally realized hobson was a draft bust, and that he isnt gonna play at all this year? i can hope so

darrell mcclover on the other hand was awsome his second half of college, he was a HUGE sleeper in the draft

he runs faster than vilma, hits harder than hobson, and has good hands

he's very athletic and should get a shot this season

i think he has huge potential (especially at being a blitzman)

brown, gardner and hobson can ride the bench this whole season for all i care

i want to see mcclover out of the field asking QBs how the grass taste

Hall Of Fame
    The title of the thread is VERY misleading. I would appreciate it if you would edit that. It sounds like Mclover was named the starter or Hobson suffered an injury.

Hobson has talent, he was a 2nd round pick and is good vs the run. Mclover at the least will excell at ST. He is still very raw.

All League
    I'm as big as a McClover fan as you will find but this is just not the case yet, Hobson was hurt last year and the year before he played well, he is not the fastest linebacker but he is a very smart player who knows how to take angles and be a solid run stopping/blitzing LB. Lets not count Hobson out, hes had some ups and some downs. Tis to be expected from a young player.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

darrell mcclover on the other hand was awsome his second half of college,
    I love his POTENTIAL, but you are stretching it here.

He hardly played D in college, and hasn't shown a thing as a pro, yet. Actually he showed that he was raw in college. There is a reason he went in the 7th round. If he was "awsome" given his numbers, he would have been a high draft pick.

It is one thing to drool over posted numbers, it is another to see him practice.

I always find it strange that people actually believe that coaches, any coach, would sit a player who shows more than another player. Like a HC has no incentive to put the best players on the field.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-06-2005 at 04:16 AM.

Banned
    Hobson's a bust?!?!

The guy was awesome when he got a chance to play in 2003. Last season he played hurt. That doesn't make you a bust.

Hobson would have been a first round pick if his 40 was a little bit better. He has all the tools to be stud.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius
    and why did we sign gardner? does that mean they finally realized hobson was a draft bust, and that he isnt gonna play at all this year? i can hope so
    Gardner was signed to replace Cowart at backup MLB. He's also versatile and can play outside if needed, which increases his value.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    Hobson's a bust?!?!

The guy was awesome when he got a chance to play in 2003. Last season he played hurt. That doesn't make you a bust.

Hobson would have been a first round pick if his 40 was a little bit better. He has all the tools to be stud.

AMEN!

IMHO, Hobson will be a solid STARTING OLB for us.

Veteran

We signed Gardner to replace Cowart and for DEPTH at the position. Hobson is in no way a bust...he played injured last year, and when given the chance in 2003, played very well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What game are you watching?

Hobson is a BEAST

The HobKnocker

Banned
    our d vs the lions in preseason

Ellis|D-Rob|Pouha|Abe(bastard)
    Mclover | Vilma | barton

Law|Barrett
    Coleman|Celestin or washington

ellis- de that people want to have a breakout season, alrdy had oe
    d-rob- big run stuffer
    pouha- rookie iam looking foward to see in preseason
    abe- get yourass to camp
    mclover- give him a shot
    vilma- vilma....
    barton- tough quick and aggressive
    law- law....
    barrett- will have a nice season and will learn a lot from law
    coleman- 88tackles (68 solo) 2sacks 4 ints..... awsome rookie year
    celestin- fast as **** good hands for a db

Banned
    mcclover has great measurables but that doesn't always make a good football player. he could be great on special teams this year and be good in certain situations on defense but he is not ready to be a full time player. he was not a starter on defense and he just doesn't have the experience necessary to start yet. im rooting for him but i also like hobson quite a bit. he isn't as flashy but he gets the job done and i think he is and will be a very good linebacker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oktaren
    mcclover has great measurables but that doesn't always make a good football player. he could be great on special teams this year and be good in certain situations on defense but he is not ready to be a full time player. he was not a starter on defense and he just doesn't have the experience necessary to start yet. im rooting for him but i also like hobson quite a bit. he isn't as flashy but he gets the job done and i think he is and will be a very good linebacker.
    vilma had no experience, in fact he was added to the starting roster last year 2 days before the bengals game

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    vilma had no experience, in fact he was added to the starting roster last year 2 days before the bengals game
    yes, but he did start at linebacker in college...

All Pro
    What an idiotic post. Hobson played very well before being injured last year. He's smart, very strong and good at shedding and standing up blocks. He's a solid player.

I like McClover, but he's not as instinctive -- and that erases any advantage in terms of being faster. I think McClover will be a good special teamer/situational blitzer for us, but not much more. Hobson will be a long-term starter.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot

Wrong. Vilma didn't start until week 3 after Cowart got hurt in San Diego.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Victor Hobson is very strong at the point of attack. He's a very good tackler. One of the best on The Jets defense. I like him as a player.

He is strong enough to take on blockers and is good against the run. He plays the strong side over The TE. The problem with Hobson is that he doesn't have great speed. He does a good job in zone coverage but is not very good in man. He's probably best suited as an inside linebacker in The 3-4.

The backups are more athletic than Hobson is but I am not so sure that they ar better linebackers. Hobson is a good player. He's just somewhat limited on the outside because of his lack of agility.

Mark Brown has been a Herman Edwards favorite the last few years. He raved about his effort every year in camp. Finally made it as a fulltime roster member last year. Brown can play but he's not dynamic.

McClover brings alot to the table as a backup LB especially on special teams. I don't think that he's suited to play over The TE. He's more of a weakside linebacker. He needs to run free to the ball.

Thank you all for chiming in with support for Hobson and illuminating the real stats on McGlover-who is quite a physical specimen but has not demonstrated the football IQ necessary to survive in the pros. I wish the mods would actually disallow a thread like this one. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when it is a completely uninformed opinion it becomes a bunch of baseless drivel. What I like is that, for the most part, those responding are very well informed about players and are not just shooting from the hip.

Veteran
    why in the hell is this guy still on the team?

last year hobson got his job taken away by mark brown, i had no idea who the f*ck he was until the anouncer called the starting lineups

.....does that mean they finally realized hobson was a draft bust, ......
    First of all you must be related to D.McClover...

Last season, V.Hobson recorded, 30 tackles, 2 deflected passes, and 1 interception. Like everybody here, I have nothing bad to say about McClover. V.Hobson was an important piece in last season's defense.

D.Henderson started M.Brown after Hobson got injured, because he wants competition to be a vital part of the team at all times. His philosophy is that if you get injured, you need to win your job back. That way nobody feels that their job is guaranteed and that they can slack.

All League
    very revealing.

and you call yourself Jet Genius?

Hall Of Fame
    Of all of our draft picks in '03, I thought Victor Hobson was the ONLY one who really contributed as a rookie. DROB was immersed in double teams and was really a NON-FACTOR.

I looked forward to seeing him play during that awful '03 season. We already knew that Lewis & Jones didn't have anything left, so I was all for a youth movement. I thought he performed well in the chances he got to play.

Last season he was much improved. Hobson was a beast against Miami. Overall, I thought Hobson was the third most improved player last season behind DROB and Sam Cowart. Much like Sam Cowart, Victor lost his job after suffering an injury. I don't believe this an indictment of Hobsons talent. I believe it to be because the Jets have a HUGE amount of talent in the linebacking corp.

McClover on the other hand, has turned out to be a GREAT special teams player. It was fun watching him last season. You can see with his great physical attributes that he could potentially make for some good competition for starting spots in time. IN TIME.

I just do not believe that Darrell is there yet. He needs a lot more time. At least one more season to develop.

So IMO, Hobson is the guy you have to have competing with Mark Brown for a starting spot right now. McClover figures to be fighting for playing time other than just on special teams............