Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants scrimmage reports Merged

Hall Of Fame

ESPN's writeup of the fight......

actually from the AP but posted on ESPN

Shockey tussles with Jets secondary
    Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey got into a fight with two Jets players on the second play of a joint practice between the teams Saturday that also featured an argument between Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

On the second play of a 9-on-7 drill pitting the Giants offense against the Jets defense, Shockey got in a tussle with defensive backs Erik Coleman and Oliver Celestin, and soon all three players were throwing wild punches.

Coleman and Celestin pulled the Giants tight end to the ground and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma jumped on top, touching off a melee involving numerous players from both teams. Order was restored after a few minutes.

"I was blocking somebody and I got shoved in the back, and the next thing I know, everybody's fighting," Shockey said. "There's no bad blood. That's how football is. You might as well do it now, when you don't get fined and Paul Tagliabue can't take any money out of your pocket. Do it now, get it over with. I'm sure it happens at every other camp."

Later in the morning practice session, Coughlin got into an argument with Henderson after several plays in which the Jets appeared to go beyond the prescribed rules of the practice, which allow defensive players to bump or slow down ball carriers as they go by, without tackling them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs.

Brandon Jacobs, the Giants rookie 6-foot-4, 265-pound running back, retaliated by bowling over 6-2, 212-pound Jets cornerback Pete Hunter after catching a short pass.

And finally, Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer was knocked down by Jets linebacker Eric Barton after a short pass reception. Toomer struck Barton in the helmet, and the two players had to be separated.

"This is practice," said Toomer, who is in his tenth NFL season. "We don't want anyone to get hurt."

At one point Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, "That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people."

Jets coach Herman Edwards blamed what he called his team's "testiness" on getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a three-hour bus ride from Long Island to the Giants camp here.

Henderson defended his players.

"I don't think any of it was over the line," he said. "You push and shove, and sometimes people take it the second level. But I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to injure anyone. I don't think there was any misunderstanding about what the tempo was going to be. I just think we practice at a different tempo at our place than was expected here."

Coughlin was not amused by the antics.

"We don't want that. That's not what we teach, that's not why we're here," he said. "We're here to practice to try and get better. We certainly didn't come to fight. We understand that sometimes those things are going to happen, but there were too many occasions."

Rookie
    so i guess rhodes can hit

Hall Of Fame
    At one point Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, "That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people."
    thats what the funk i'm talking about!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

Thats hilarious

Undrafted Free Agent
    I love the swagger our defence seems to have now. "We put our hats on people"... how can you not love Donnie Henderson? I've got a good feeling about our defence this year, and it's only gonna be better when we wrap up Law.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green & White
    I love the swagger our defence seems to have now. "We put our hats on people"... how can you not love Donnie Henderson? I've got a good feeling about our defence this year, and it's only gonna be better when we wrap up Law.
    I haven't heard the Jets were going full out in camp. Was it the night practice where they started to hit their own guys full tilt?

Bet Tom doesn't invite the Jets next year.

Banned
    i love it i love it i love it bust they azz

Undrafted Free Agent
    We play touch football in Albany...LOL

Veteran
    Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs.
    lol, I just get a kick out of that

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    thats what the funk i'm talking about!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Here's the deal, short and sweet

Shockey was out there selling wolf tickets today, so the Jets had to beat him down ... case closed
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-06-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Veteran
    Coughlin and the giants are a BIG BUNCH OF BLUE BIATCHES plain and simple thats y they suck truth be told they wanted it two hand touch cause they know they cant keep up with our pace. SO CHEERS TO HENDERSON FOR STARTING THE FIRE EARLY

Banned
    Just saw the brawl on headline news ... that was a violent one!

But I'm proud of the Jets ... they had each others back ... that's a GOOD SIGN

Seriously, that was a very good sign ... strong sign of unity, and heart ... Shockey tried to throw his weight around, bamboozle a Jet DB, and IT WAS ON

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

Just saw the brawl on headline news ... that was a violent one!

But I'm proud of the Jets ... they had each others back ... that's a GOOD SIGN

Seriously, that was a very good sign ... strong sign of unity, and heart ... Shockey tried to throw his weight around, bamboozle a Jet DB, and IT WAS ON
    BTW, that's why Vilma is a leader ... make no mistake about it, Vilma brought that attitude to this team ... that we FIGHT FOR ONE ANOTHER if need be

This kid was there in a nano-second ... had Shockey in a death grip before he could blink ... that attitude is invaluable to a football team ... I would argue we haven't had it on defense since Brian Cox

Don't get me wrong, ALL OF THE JETS were there in a heartbeat, but I believe it's cats like Vilma and Barton who set the tone, and it all starts with the DC ... Vilma is becoming an extension of Donnie Henderson on the field, bringing some of that Ravens mentality to the Jets

IMO that is a VERY GOOD THING ... I love an onery defense
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-06-2005 at 10:02 PM.

All Pro
    i am just worried about one of tjose g men fools trying to take retaliation durring the pre-seaosn game in August

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz

i am just worried about one of tjose g men fools trying to take retaliation durring the pre-seaosn game in August
    I think the opposite might occur ... you're always a little more reluctant to mess with someone when you know, without a doubt, that he bites back

Now the Giants know, for certain, that the Jets bite is louder than it's bark

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    BTW, that's why Vilma is a leader ... make no mistake about it, Vilma brought that attitude to this team ... that we FIGHT FOR ONE ANOTHER if need be

This kid was there in a nano-second ... had Shockey in a death grip before he could blink ... that attitude is invaluable to a football team ... I would argue we haven't had it on defense since Brian Cox

Don't get me wrong, ALL OF THE JETS were there in a heartbeat, but I believe it's cats like Vilma and Barton who set the tone, and it all starts with the DC ... Vilma is becoming an extension of Donnie Henderson on the field, bringing some of that Ravens mentality to the Jets

IMO that is a VERY GOOD THING ... I love an onery defense

If it aint ONERY, it aint a defense

Waterboy
    Sounds like our defense is ready to play some hard aggresive ball.

I love it!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JETranger 206B

If it aint ONERY, it aint a defense
    I'll drink to that

All League
    read my article for saturday night fight reports