Thread: Abraham said to be upset about Law's deal

Hall Of Fame

Abraham said to be upset about Law's deal

Abraham said to be upset about Law's deal
    Sunday, August 07, 2005
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The anticipated signing of free-agent cornerback Ty Law, who needs only to pass a physical to complete the multiyear deal, could have an adverse effect on Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham.

People close to the Pro Bowl defensive end say Abraham and his representatives are livid that the club is willing to pay Law, who has a foot problem and is 31 years old, and not pay Abraham, in part, because of his injury history.

Abraham, who is unhappy with the franchise tag ($6.67 million) and wants a long-term deal, was expected to report sometime after the second preseason game. Now, however, there are rumblings he might stay out until the Tuesday before the opener, the last day he can stay away without losing any money.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowler, is expected to come to New York early next week. The club will likely have a press conference Monday or Tuesday.

Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who wasn't at the joint practice with the Giants, and Law's agent, Carl Poston, have agreed on most of the major issues and continued to negotiate yesterday for a third consecutive day.

Law has agreed in principle to an incentive-rich and backloaded deal that includes a signing bonus of $5 million to $6 million and an average of roughly $6 million per season.

The two sides are said to be hammering out the incentive package. Law missed nine games last season with a broken left foot and the Jets want to protect themselves. Law, meanwhile, wants to get paid if he performs.

The Jets may have to rework some contracts or release or trade a veteran or two to make Law fit under the salary cap. Veteran cornerback Ray Mickens is among those the club may approach.

Running back Curtis Martin is believed to have agreed to rework his contract to accommodate Law, with whom he is close friends, and other Jets are enthused about the likely addition.

"It would be huge," Pro Bowl defensive end Shawn Ellis said. "He comes from a program that all they did was win. Any time you get a player like that on your team it boosts everybody up. He has been there (Super Bowl) three times so he can help us lead us on our way."

Veteran
    Nothing to be upset about Abe....show up, play 16 solid healthy games, and play them like we all know you can, and you will get paid.

Veteran
    Running back Curtis Martin is believed to have agreed to rework his contract to accommodate Law, with whom he is close friends, and other Jets are enthused about the likely addition.
    That's huge! We all talked about it, but now Curtis is doing what needs to be done to land Law. I think it says something about a team when two of the top offensive players are helping land elite players by reworking their deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Shut up and play for your 6.7 Million like you said you would last year. Thius move helps us win, that should be all players goals, not the $$$ but the ring. I am a big Abe supporter and we need him for 16 games but the guy only cares about himself. Suck it up ya baby play for 7 million, not a bad chunk of change if ya ask me.

All League
    Abe is going to have to sign his deal or else he won't even play this year. He has zero leverage. If he wants to hold out this whole year (which I doubt will happen) who is going to pay him? Nobody. Time to get to camp and start earning his $$$.

Banned
    [q]Abraham said to be upset about Law's deal [/q]

aww to bad he's a FA so we have to compete with other teams so we pay him more. and he is not injury "PRONED" like you abe. and his contract protects us against another possible injury w/ most the money coming toward the end and lots of incentives, what youre asking for doesent

Rookie
    Let me state the obvious....What a "freakin" baby. This guy and his agent could have had somthing wrapped up long ago. The JETS clearly aren't going to wait around for someone who seems to think that they are bigger than the team. The FO has a responsibility to improve the talent level on this team no matter what and not bow to a single player. Good move IMO.

He better shut his mouth and report to camp or.....F' him.

Hey Abe,

Don't like it....go to the Redskins

GO JETS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster_Green
    Let me state the obvious....What a "freakin" baby. This guy and his agent could have had somthing wrapped up long ago. The JETS clearly aren't going to wait around for someone who seems to think that they are bigger than the team. The FO has a responsibility to improve the talent level on this team no matter what and not bow to a single player. Good move IMO.

He better shut his mouth and report to camp or.....F' him.

Hey Abe,

Don't like it....go to the Redskins

GO JETS!

iam perfectly happy w/ our current d line as it is now, we should trade the rights to abe for santana back and bring back the old tandam for one more year coles/moss/chrebet

Veteran
    he doesnt deserve a long-term deal until he proves he can contribute in BIG $$$ games!!! besides, why would a veteran guys like curtis martin or ray mickens agree to rework their deals to accomodate that clown, when hes never there when the $$ is on the line

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    iam perfectly happy w/ our current d line as it is now, we should trade the rights to abe for santana back and bring back the old tandam for one more year coles/moss/chrebet
    Yes what a brilliant trade. John Abraham one of the elite Pass rushing D-ends, for a decently good receiver. If I was Woody Johnson I would fire Terry B and hire you as the new GM. While we're at it lets trade Pennington For Patrick Ramsey

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Shut up and play for your 6.7 Million like you said you would last year. Thius move helps us win, that should be all players goals, not the $$$ but the ring. I am a big Abe supporter and we need him for 16 games but the guy only cares about himself. Suck it up ya baby play for 7 million, not a bad chunk of change if ya ask me.
    dood, you're way too idealistic for reality

players play for money, fans watch for the ring...in the end ten years after their careers are over and we've forgotten them and they cant walk anymore or get outta bed or make love to their women its the money that gets them by not the ring they may have won

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

Means zippo...he just betterhave the best year of his career in 2005.....win win for the Jets.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    OMG you can't be serious can you Moss for Abraham?Sideline Santana?Come on Chip I'd rather have Justin and or Jerricho playing instead of Moss-even his PR's were shaky...no way-joke right?

Banned
    get rid of this guy hes becoming such a *****

Veteran
    ill be the first to agree that abes being ridiculous but lets be honest we dont wanna lose this guy. i mean even if he hasnt played a full season this guy is a very very good player and to tell you the truth im not comfortable with bryan thomas starting at the other end soo we better sign this guy for at least a 3 year deal