Thread: Law deal could be worth 50 mill over 7 years

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Law deal could be worth 50 mill over 7 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2128536

The deal could be worth as much as $28.5 million for the first three years and as much as $50 million over seven years, agent Carl Poston said. The contract is laden with incentives -- among them leading the Jets to the Super Bowl -- and has options for both sides.

"I think this team is on the verge of doing something very special, and that's why I wanted to join them," Law said at a news conference Monday.

The 31-year-old Law took a physical and worked out for the team Monday. He is intent on showing the Jets he is completely healed from a serious foot injury.

"I think I have something to prove all the time anyway, that's just my mind-set. It's how I approach the game," Law said. "I can hold my head up high and say I've had a pretty good career thus far, and I'm going to continue that. I have a lot left to give.

"I'm going to prove to all the doubters, if there are any out there, that I'm still the best cornerback in football."

Is Ty Law still an elite cornerback?
    Yes
    No

Law gives the Jets a shut-down defensive back who will start at left cornerback, which was vacated when Donnie Abraham retired shortly before training camp.

"He's an excellent player and helps us get better," said coach Herm Edwards, who met with Law on Sunday night.

Law was in the final season of a seven-year, $51 million contact with the Patriots, and was due $12.5 million this season, but the team would have taken a big hit on its salary cap. Law reportedly wasn't willing to restructure his contract, so New England released him in February. He was sought by a number of teams, including Detroit, Kansas City and Pittsburgh.

"The thing he brings to the table is he has great instincts," Edwards said. "He understands angles very, very well and he's a physical guy, too. He has great hand-eye coordination and he's a student -- he studies the game, studies receivers."

To make room for Law, the Jets released Ray Mickens, who had been listed as a starting cornerback during the first week of camp. Law will wear Mickens' No. 24 jersey, the number Law wore during his Patriots years.

The team also let go of safety Derek Pagel, guard Dave Yovanovits, running back Delvin Joyce and cornerback Roosevelt Williams.

Law missed the Patriots' third championship with a broken foot. The 10-year veteran needed surgery in January to repair ligament damage after a season-ending fracture during an October loss in Pittsburgh that ended New England's record 21-game winning streak.

Law has four Pro Bowl appearances and holds Patriots records with 36 interceptions and six regular-season touchdowns on interceptions. He also scored on an interception when New England beat St. Louis in 2002 for its first NFL title.

"He's a guy that can make the big plays and help us win the championship -- that's what we want to do," center Kevin Mawae said. "He knows how to do it. He's won three with the Patriots. Hopefully, he can bring that experience, intensity and work ethic and help all of the young guys that we have in our backfield."

Law rejoins former Patriots teammate and close friend Curtis Martin and former secondary partner Corwin Brown, now the Jets' defensive backs coach.

"This was definitely my first choice from the beginning," Law said.

Mickens, who played nine seasons for the Jets and was a fan favorite, missed last year with a torn knee ligament but looked good in camp. He started 14 games in 2003 when Abraham was injured and had been a key part of the Jets' nickel package.

"He's a good player and he'll play in this league with another team," Edwards said.

With Mickens gone, rookie Justin Miller will be the third cornerback. Second-year player Derrick Strait will step into Mickens' spot as the main nickel back.

Pagel, a fifth-round pick in 2003, played in 19 games in two seasons with the Jets, mostly on special teams. Yovanovits, a seventh-round pick in 2003, appeared in four games in two seasons.

Joyce was signed by the Jets in April after playing two seasons with the Giants. Williams joined New York last Tuesday after being released by Washington.

Veteran
    good stuff, but 7 more years? hes 31?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I've been told it's $18 million over three years with a $5 million SB up front. FWIW.

Rookie
    Small price if he helps bring a Lombardi here...
    Last edited by Buldawg; 08-08-2005 at 06:06 PM.

All Pro
    Everything that's been written suggests the deal is structured in a way that essentially makes it a three-year deal. He's cuttable after the third season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    I've been told it's $18 million over three years with a $5 million SB up front. FWIW.
    I think its a 7 yr deal but 18 mil over the frst 3 years is what he could earn..Past that he will most likely have to re-structure or the Jets will cut him

So in total its 7 years but expect him to play only 3 of those 7...7 years is better anyways so we can split the money over more years..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola
    Everything that's been written suggests the deal is structured in a way that essentially makes it a three-year deal. He's cuttable after the third season.
    Its a 7 year deal but 3 of the years is where he will make most of his money..

Like i said, after the 3rd year he would have to re-strucute or the Jets will cut him..

All League
    the 50 mil is completely bogus.

The 28.5 might be bogus, might be possible/reachable.

But the 50 mil is completely bogus and will never happen unless the masturbatory fantasies you guys are having of multi superbowls and Ty Law DPoYs come true.

I'm pretty sure none of us know what the deal is yet.

The Jets don't announce numbers, and the Postons like to inflate them. Hell, if Kevin forgot to read the last page of the contract, it might be a 2-year, $3M deal, for all we know.

we'll just have to be patient and wait....the full details will eventually come out.

Until then, it's all bogus numbers....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by stinker
    I'm pretty sure none of us know what the deal is yet.
    well that's not entirely true

there's this one cat named MSGold that posts on the Jets Addicts board - seriously he is a capologist of the first order. He is also very tough on the existing regime, with a general pessimism and special venom for Herman. Here's what this dude says about the deal.

OK, I know it is a rare occassion that I am oppotimistic and happy when it comes to this team but this morning I am!!!!! Signing Ty Law was great on its face (assuming hes healthy of course) but afteer reading the deal...I am freakin extatic!!!!

As I saiid in a previous post (whihc IBG was kind enough to have reposted in the pther thread), the "yearly average" is very deceiving. The FIRST 2 things you look at when you look at a deal are the signing bonus and the length. Here, we gae him a 5mil bonus over 3 yyearrs...a proration of 1.6 per (not far off from the 8.5/5 years bonus I sugggested whihc was 1.7 per). So with 5 mil out of the way, that leaves 13 mil over 3 years to account for. We have heard that the contract is back loaded and also that it ius very incntive based and that there is guaranteed money (which doesnt vest to the cap until the year its due). So assuming that, I am going to assume the floowing...

year 1 base- 2 mil
    year 2 base- 3 mil
    year 3 base- 6 mil

2 mil in incentives spread over te 3 years
    1 mil of the 2nd year guaranteed
    2 mil of the final year guaranteed.

That leaves cap numbers of the around the following:

2005- 3.7 to 4.3
    2006- 4.7 to 5.3
    2007- 7.7 to 8.3

Basicallly, we could cut him 15 minutes afteer we sign him and at WORST with the 8 mil of proration (5 mil SB and 3 mil guaranteed), we woould take a two prong cap hit of 2 mil in 2005 (4 mil less his 2 mil base) and 1 mil in 2006 (4 mil less 3 mil base). And if we get even ONE year out of him, those numbers wwould decrease to nearly a wash!!!

BL, this is a GREAT deal for us! A 5 mil SB is NOTHING (JA is asking for 15 mil!!!) and we are getting (if healthy) a pro bowl callibar CB!!!!!

If JA comes in and our NT situation works itself out, we are going to have a SCARY D!!!!!

PS- Just to show I can be fair and ballanced, I am giving some props to Herm here. I haave to assume Law got more lucrative offers then this but it seems Herm did a great sell job on him. Good jjob Herm, goood job Terry, good job Mr T!!!!!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

That's pretty close to the numbers I posted. If this is accurate -- I love the deal, and Bradway and Tannenbaum get huge props.

Rookie
    Hey John Abe,

IF MSGold's figures are accurate...
    Ty Law signed with $8 mil guaranteed total throughout the 3 years. Of course, he'll make more if he reaches certain incentives. One of his incentives is if the Jets reach the Super Bowl.

You have an offer of $6.7 guaranteed for THIS YEAR alone- despite sitting out when we needed you most last year and others. I'm not going to get into the argument of whether your injury was legit or not. But if you're PO'd cause Law got some new deal? Wake up. Get to camp, have a hell of a year for 16+ games, and you'll get your dough now and later.

bitonti,

That guy knows his stuff.

Still, it's based on a lot of speculation...so we've got to wait till the final numbers come out.

But I like the deal as he sees it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lets all hope that Law makes 6-8 mil a year for a few years..That means he reached all his incentives and played real well...

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2128536

The deal could be worth as much as $28.5 million for the first three years and as much as $50 million over seven years, agent Carl Poston said. The contract is laden with incentives -- among them leading the Jets to the Super Bowl -- and has options for both sides.
    That's probably a NLTBE incentive.

Hall Of Fame
    BTW, getting to the SB is a team incentive and can't be included in the contract. I'm sure it's structured slightly differently, to make it a "personal" incentive (like "make a tackle/defense a pass/start" in the superbowl)

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

LAW i`m rooting for the JETS to have to payoff on that SUPER BOWL BONUS..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    BTW, getting to the SB is a team incentive and can't be included in the contract. I'm sure it's structured slightly differently, to make it a "personal" incentive (like "make a tackle/defense a pass/start" in the superbowl)
    How can team incentives be excluded in the CBA? That doesn't make sense. If not in the contract, where does the incentive reside?

Every Pats player has team incentives embedded in their agreements, incentives that hit the cap the following year. The players receive the money the following season, on the 1st of March.

It's worked out well for many of them, and the team.