Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we the team to beat in the AFC???

Are we the team to beat in the AFC???

Honestly as a long suffering Jets fan I can honestly say YES!!! We have upgraded at too many positions while all other major contenters ie Pats and Steelers have either stood still or lost something.
    We are all happy as hell to have Law but let us not forget we actually have a Offesive coord. that is solid as hell and please dont sleep on Jolley this guys is a huge huge upgrade in the receiving department and should open the field up big time. At this point and yes I know its super early nothing less then a trip to the show will do. Feels good to go into the season with huge expectations. Am I off base?

corporate heroin

Thumbs up Indeed...

I say - YES!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

This team has as good a chance to get to the big game in 2005 as any team in the afc.

anyone can disagree but thats just how I feel...this team is loaded.

we'll get a dose on friday vs the Lions.

All League
    i can say that in the nfl we are def a top 10 team and in the afc def a top 5 this is the yr. ill see all the other season ticket holders in detriot
    Last edited by Jets_Fragger; 08-08-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame

Jetsfraggfer...well said.

Until the NE Patriots are no longer the Super Bowl champs, they are the team to beat.

But we're going to be the team that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl
    Honestly as a long suffering Jets fan I can honestly say YES!!! We have upgraded at too many positions while all other major contenters ie Pats and Steelers have either stood still or lost something.
    We are all happy as hell to have Law but let us not forget we actually have a Offesive coord. that is solid as hell and please dont sleep on Jolley this guys is a huge huge upgrade in the receiving department and should open the field up big time. At this point and yes I know its super early nothing less then a trip to the show will do. Feels good to go into the season with huge expectations. Am I off base?
    Depends On how healthy Chad Pennington is. If hes not healthy , well you could be Miami dolphins. Very good defense and nio offence. Jay Fiedler not taking you to big dance.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by stinker
    Until the NE Patriots are no longer the Super Bowl champs, they are the team to beat.

But we're going to be the team that does it.
    Exactly.

This team has made strides from 2003, but let's not kid ourselves. To be than man, you have to beat the man.

The season is still a month away and anything can happen. Injuries are also a factor during the regular season. New England has overcome the losses of Drew Bedsore, Rosevelt Colvin, Ted Washington and Ty Law and won championships each time.

We need to improve our intensity and game overall, while having some luck come our way....

This year, however, we seem to have plenty of depth. If we can have Chad and Abe hold up for an ENTIRE season, our fortunes can change.

All Pro
    "Until the NE Patriots are no longer the Super Bowl champs, they are the team to beat."

Couldn't have said it better myself

Practice Squad
    Chowds are the team the beat regardless if they did not upgrade. However with the upgrades we made and the present talent I 'am confident that task will be done.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak

Jetsfragger...well said.

i try

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl

Hell yes your off base

No Offense??? Ok we lost one key component! Yes I say one..Kareem and thats it. Losing a backup rb is never ever a big blow especially when he was going to start this year either. So lets see we have Coles, JMac, Curtis, Jolley and a very solid line and now we have No offense?? Our offense if nothing else is solid and our defense will be great.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175
    Depends On how healthy Chad Pennington is. If hes not healthy , well you could be Miami dolphins. Very good defense and nio offence. Jay Fiedler not taking you to big dance.
    Jay has made the playoffs twice as a head qb. He did have very good defenses there, but never as good an offensive line or corp of receivers.

It can be debated which OC is better, Heimerdinger, Turner, or Gailey.

Imho, Heimerdinger is better, because of his consistency, versatility and how successful he's been with different levels of talent.

I also think our Special Teams unit is better than any he's ever had to work with and would benefit by the better field position.

Fiedler is not a savior, but he was a rock solid starter who makes for a great backup. Not having the added pressure of having to follow in Marino's footsteps doesn't hurt either. If he has to start the season, we're screwed. If he has to step in and win a few games, I feel fully comfortable. Hell, we survived Quincy Carter last season. More, better weaspons and one of the best OCs in the business are why I feel comfortable.

Heimerdinger should also be able to take advantage of Fiedler's ability to roll out of the pocket.

Overall, we have a good qb situation here. If Chad is healthy, great. But he cannot miss major time. Most qb's miss time in this league, we just cannot afford for ours to miss a substantial amount.

Hall Of Fame

well right now Pennigton is HEALTHY...this talk about his shoulder is old...right now he's healthy and on track.

Raiders need to worry about getting a defense.

getting old hearing what if this and what if that...when i see Pennington cannot throw or Law not being healthy then I'll worry.

Right now this team is solid.

Live with it

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If We Stay Healthy, We Can Be The Team To Beat!! If We Stay Healthy!!!!

Hall Of Fame

I feel we are the team to beat...yet these yahoos are giving all the reaosns why we are not...you can go to the Chowds-Steelers-Colts and bring up reasons why they are not the team to beat either.

This Jets fan flat out feels that this team was strong and got stronger around 2:00 pm today

Jets will be in the mix in 2005

Rookie
    In reply to the question "Are we the team to beat in the AFC" The answer is no. The team to beat is the COLTS! The Pats we already have beaten the colts is our next challange. They are to good of an offense for our defense i think. There is no way our d matches there offense. i'll say Law matches up w/ Harrison.....and Barret matches up w/ stockley *Maybe*.....what about wayne and all they're other amazing recievers?....They are def. the team to beat in the AFC we are the second team to beat. Prediction Colts Vs. Jets in AFC Title game.
    Last edited by NYJ 1968; 08-08-2005 at 10:10 PM.

All League
    "If we stay healthy" is going to be the most recurring line going into the first game of the season.

And if we do, the rest of the league better watch out. The Patriots are the team to beat, because they are the reigning Superbowl champs and play in our division. But there is something very special about this team, I know it. We came sooo close last year and have only upgraded. We are geared to make a title run right now and I am fully confident that we will be able to do it.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ 1968
    The Pats we already have beaten the colts is our next challange.

Beaten how exactly ?