• Football

31 54.39%
  • Eating

10 17.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Pastime? Baseball / Football

Veteran

American Pastime? Baseball / Football

I have had this argument for the last couple of years with one of my best buds and we never really seem to agree on something so I want to take this question to our wonderful forum here.

I believe that football is the new "Great American Pastime". My buddy doesnt. While I do enjoy baseball at the end of the season (mainly the last weeks of the playoffs and of course the world series, I do not think it even holds a candle to intesity and intrigue of Professional Football.

One argument that I make about football being the new American pastime (I have actually done this on numerous occasions, usually at the bar with my bud to punk him out) is that when you ask someone on the street about when the last time they watched a baseball game was, most of them cannot even recall. When asked about football they all immediately say at least within the last year.

I would even go as far to say that I would watch a Jets regular season game over my favorite baseball teams playoff game any day of the week.

Anyways, what do you think? I love both sports, but I just think football is the more appealing and dramatic of the two.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Baseball is the Passtime because that is exactly what baseball does. It helps us pass the time while waiting for football to begin.

Football is America's Passion!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Football is in the lead now, but only by a small margin, but growing.

Baseball is Baseball, it will be with us for some time still, scandals and Roids or not. I don;t see it slipping much past a close #2

Everything else is secondary, NBA, NASCAR, *Snicker* NHL *Snicker*, even Golf is a second-tier sport behind Baseball and Football.

There are only two MAJOR Sports. NFL & MLB.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67
    Baseball is the Passtime because that is exactly what baseball does. It helps us pass the time while waiting for football to begin.

Not a bad response Jetman. But isnt it true also that where the passion lays is also where the heart resides? Or something like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JYtheJETSfan
    Not a bad response Jetman. But isnt it true also that where the passion lays is also where the heart resides? Or something like that.
    True!! Most watch baseball when there is nothing else to do.

Veteran
    If you ain't playing, your eatin'.

Banned
    baseball is not a sport, its just a waste of space for bigger and bader football stadiums

Banned
    baseball is still americas pasttime. it has too much tradition. actually its a BIG PART of american tradition. football and baseball are definitely the 2 big sports though.

Banned
    baseball just detracts from football come late summer

Hall Of Fame
    True!! Most watch baseball when there is nothing else to do.
    untrue

"Baseball is still the only sport you can play while you're sleeping". I forgot what movie that was from but it was funny as hell. The sport is so damn boring.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ego Trip
    If you ain't playing, your eatin'.

This (eating) is proabably the one thing that I could make a run at all pro status for!

Rookie
    baseball is at a high rigt now but it's headed for it's worst crash in the next 10 years. baseball doesn't interest most of the younger anymore, in fact there recently was a study that showed kids under the age of 7 were more interested in skateboarding than baseball. so i think baseball is gonna have a horrible within time.

Veteran

Nice answer!!!

That's the best response I've ever heard to that question.

I nominate that reply for Post of the Year. In was short, sweet, and to the point.

If I was a girl, I'd let you touch my boob.

Hall Of Fame
    I hope I don't rattle any cages but the two sports are not even in the same hemisphere. Football is so much better of a sport it's rediculous. I'd rate football 1st, then have about 10-15 sports in between before coming to baseball.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    I hope I don't rattle any cages but the two sports are not even in the same hemisphere. Football is so much better of a sport it's rediculous. I'd rate football 1st, then have about 10-15 sports in between before coming to baseball.

What about baseball with HOT naked chicks???

They can swing my bat any day.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PYPER
    What about baseball with HOT naked chicks???

They can swing my bat any day.

I like this idea, how about they hire hot naked chicks to be the umpires of the game?

Veteran
    I dont see anyone BBQ'ing, inviting family and friends over, decorating, dressing up for a regular season baseball game. Nuff said. I love baseball also but nothing compares to football, 162 games vs 16, each football game counts. each game is a war...football players dont get "games off." The Super Bowl alone should tell you how big football is. Look at the pre-season media coverage, draft coverage, etc. Football is so far ahead of baseball. And nevermind the college football following, and the betting aspect (football #1 betting sport). Hands down football is #1, baseball lost it with strikes, arrogant players (little fan interaction), and high ticket prices. i realize football is expensive also but there are only 8 games a year to go to, as opposed to 81. It used to be you could take your family to a baseball game because it was affordable, not so anymore, except minor league, so they lost their young fan base. Football is a great TV game, fast action, etc. Maybe im wrong but Id be willing to say football furthers its lead on the top spot over the next 10 years as long as there is labor peace.

All League
    America's pastime: Litigation.

America's favorite sport: football. SuperBowl Sunday has become a national holiday.

Many people dont even stay up to see the end of World Series games.

why you all vote football its so obviosly baseball. the superbowl didnt even start until the 60's. and there are so many more baseball legends. but football rules everything now.