Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope for Gessner

All League

Hope for Gessner

Edwards talked about Gessner’s strengths. “He’s a big guy, runs okay, real good in the red area because he has the size and he’s a good athlete that can jump,” Edwards said. “He’s done a good job. He’s a tough guy that will block you and it’s good to have a guy like that

I want both Williams and Gessner to make it. We know he has great hands, the fact that he can block at 215 , and that he is labeled as tough, improves his chances. One of the great things about Keyshawns game (about the same size) was his ability to block . I see Gessner as a tweener between Tight end and Wide receiver, Dingers offense may be perfect for him.

Veteran
    I'm really pulling for him and Dreessen to make it!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange
    Edwards talked about Gessner’s strengths. “He’s a big guy, runs okay, real good in the red area because he has the size and he’s a good athlete that can jump,” Edwards said. “He’s done a good job. He’s a tough guy that will block you and it’s good to have a guy like that

I want both Williams and Gessner to make it. We know he has great hands, the fact that he can block at 215 , and that he is labeled as tough, improves his chances. One of the great things about Keyshawns game (about the same size) was his ability to block . I see Gessner as a tweener between Tight end and Wide receiver, Dingers offense may be perfect for him.
    So the Jets are going to carry 6 WRs ? I don't think so. Especially when Gessner and Williams aren't big special team players.

I think one will definitely make it. And who that is will be determined by which one performs better in preseason. Gessner gives the Jets an excellent option in the red zone. But Williams gives the Jets deep speed.

All League
    Gessner has looked great.

I'm pulling for him, too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSRULE05
    So the Jets are going to carry 6 WRs ? I don't think so. Especially when Gessner and Williams aren't big special team players.

I think one will definitely make it. And who that is will be determined by which one performs better in preseason. Gessner gives the Jets an excellent option in the red zone. But Williams gives the Jets deep speed.
    i wouldnt be surprised if carter gets cut, he's all speed and no game...frankly, i'd much rather have gessner or williams than him any day of the week...but if only one of them ends up making it, it probably will be williams, though i wouldnt be surprised if both were on the roster...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I think you might be right about carrying only 5 WR's -- especially because Chrebet will be expected to have a bigger role this year than last year.

IMO, Gessner makes the team, Williams & Jonathan Carter get cut (or maybe PS).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    i wouldnt be surprised if carter gets cut, he's all speed and no game...frankly, i'd much rather have gessner or williams than him any day of the week...but if only one of them ends up making it, it probably will be williams, though i wouldnt be surprised if both were on the roster...
    That is 6 WRs though and if we have Dreesen that is 4 TEs!!! Unless you see Dearth and Chrebet leaving.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades
    That is 6 WRs though and if we have Dreesen that is 4 TEs!!! Unless you see Dearth and Chrebet leaving.
    brain fart, my bad...though if dreesen makes the roster, i think dearth is almost def. gone...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    brain fart, my bad...though if dreesen makes the roster, i think dearth is almost def. gone...
    Dreesen is a good reciever and a long snapper (though I don't know at what level) He is probably the most balanced TE on the team.

All Pro
    I hope to have 6 WR's. Dinger uses 5 WR sets and what if one of the recievers go down in the middle of the game? Do we just have to avoid those plays then? I want both williams and gessner and I don't want carter. This will be pretty interesting.

All League

Ham always gives me hope, in another thread he pointed out that Dinger kept six in Tennessee, but your right it may come down to special teams

All League
    If I had to guess, i'd say keep Gessner and Dreesen, and Dearth and Carter are released or ps- Williams is on the bubble.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetcane
    If I had to guess, i'd say keep Gessner and Dreesen, and Dearth and Carter are released or ps- Williams is on the bubble.
    Have a rookie kicker, a rookie holder, and a rookie LS? I'll pass. Two is enough.

Charter JI Member
    Gessner was a standout the other day, and a great guy when he signed for the kids...add to that a Lax player, I'd love to see him stick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades
    Dreesen is a good reciever and a long snapper (though I don't know at what level) He is probably the most balanced TE on the team.
    I am from the school of thought that if you but Dreesen on the PS , he is gone ( Buffalo with the injury to Everett will snatch him immediatly). Westhoff will lobby big time for Dearth, he has two new kickers and thinks that Dearth is a Pro bowl LS. What may help Dreesen is that Baker will be a free agent next year. My solution is cut Carter, Williams to the PS. I think anothe possabiltiy is going with 4 running backs.
    As Ham point out this is a different offense

Banned
    I always wish the best for white wr's as there are well.... none in the nfl aside from chrebet and a few others

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    I always wish the best for white wr's as there are well.... none in the nfl aside from chrebet and a few others

you have to start thinking before you type

All League
    I am from the school of thought that if you but Dreesen on the PS , he is gone ( Buffalo with the injury to Everett will snatch him immediatly). Westhoff will lobby big time for Dearth, he has two new kickers and thinks that Dearth is a Pro bowl LS. What may help Dreesen is that Baker will be a free agent next year. My solution is cut Carter, Williams to the PS. I think anothe possabiltiy is going with 4 running backs.
    As Ham point out this is a different offense

Which four running backs do you keep?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot

Banned

Ham always gives me hope, in another thread he pointed out that Dinger kept six in Tennessee
    It's true ... dinger uses 4 WR formations and even has a 5 WR package in his playbook, ask any Titans fan

That means 6 WR's is very likely ... the 6th man is your only true backup who will only see the field if someone gets hurt ... you need that 6th man in case of injury, otherwise your 5 WR package {admittedly rare, but in the playbook} becomes a NON-OPTION if one WR Goes down

Also, let's consider the 4 WR package ... much less rare for dinger, but virtually non-existant for Hackett ... if you keep 5 you only have one backup ... that's not enough ... you need two backups because you almost have to expect at least one injury at WR, where players are always a target ... two injuries and you're in the soup ... down to 3 WR's ... and that is totally UNACCEPTABLE in a dinger offense

That's why he mostly kept 6 in Tennessee ... and why I believe he will do likewise here

JMO

PS. I pointed this out to Peter Schwartz tonite as well ... Hackett was living in the stone ages ... so long as he had 3 healthy WR's, his offense would not suffer one iota ... so with that clown 5 was the max ... not so with dinger
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-11-2005 at 11:07 PM.