Thread: The Jets v. Lions Wrapup for Poor Internet-Less Warfish

JetsInsider.com Legend

The Jets v. Lions Wrapup for Poor Internet-Less Warfish

So, what were the BIG things everyone saw in the game? I was able (here in VA) to see the replay on Saturday. But I'm sadly internet-less at home for a little while, and I missed ALL the great JI talk over the weekend.

And since I only have internet at work, I can't take the time to go back and read all the weekend threads.

So, I humby request some of my friends here give me a quick post with what they thought was the BIG things about the Lions Jets game. I don;t need a novel, just a "quick hit" on thoughts/reflection from the game. Thanks!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Bryan Thomas looked good in limited time.
    Kerry Rhodes looked like he has good instincts; had a pick and a pass breakup
    Tim McGill was a monster for the most part and appears as though he will make the roster.
    Ben Graham looked awesome. Jack The Ripper thinks he looks like crap, so what else is new?
    Darrell McClover broke his ankle and will have surgery today.
    Chas Gessner looked like sh$t. Dropped 3 passes...

Joey Harrington went right after Justin Miller to begin the game and carved Miller up. 9-9 100 yards....

Charter JI Member
    The backs all looked good...
    Fiedler played well after int...
    Graham = boom!...
    Gessner = clang!...
    Nooge's FG looked great, not so great on ensuing KO out of bounds...
    Mcclover injury looked bad...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Adrian Jones looked good. Ben Graham did a good job. Needs to work a little on ball control with his shorter punts. Nugent kicked a 40 yarder that split the uprights and had another 20 yards on before it hit the net.

The view from sec 315 is very good. Actually I see the whole field better from upstairs than i did in sec 115.

Hall Of Fame
    dont forget Victor "backfield tackle" hobson looked real good.

Banned
    didn't see any of the game friday, just out of sheer, morbid curiosity, did McGraw even suit up for Detroit?

All Pro
    McGraw pulled his trapezius while suiting up and suffered a minor groin strain and will be out for 3-4 weeks.
    .................................................. ..........
    No. Seriously, i didnt notice him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thanks guys, I somehow missed the McClover injury. Not good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Here's a bunch of random notes Warfish.

The Jets front line units played really well upfront on offense and defense.

The offensive line was in season form and pushed around The Lions D on a 98 yard drive,. Fiedler got plenty of time and Martin and Blaylock did a good job running.

Adrian Jones has had a great camp and he carried it over to the preseason. Two of The Jets best runs on friday were on the right side. Jones and Brandon Moore got some extra duty friday night. They looked very good.

Fiedler is comfortable in The Jets offense. He's gotten so much work with the front tier guys. Coles and McCareins both had nice catches and blocked well in the open field.

Jerald Sowell looked very good. Both blocking and catching.

The Jets defensive front without Abraham and Robertson did a good job against Detroit's starting 0-line. Ellis dominated Kelly Butler, Thomas and Reed also looked good. Jets got 3 consecutive sacks to kill one Lions drive.

Victor Hobson and Jonathan Vilma played well at LB. Both made great open field tackles. Mark Brown and Darrell McClover played well. Brown had a huge hit on Garcia. McClover was all over the field making plays before he got hurt.

Ben Graham has a monster leg but he still needs work. Nugent nailed a 40 yarder. Would have been good from 55. Justin Miller struggled. Lions picked on him, Miller almost broke a kick and punt return but fumbled right before the end of the first half.

Jets safety play was up and down. Kerry Rhodes looked good but Oliver Celestin and Rashad Washington didn't.

Jets DT play was ok. Reed was good. Legree was very active, put some pressure on and knocked down a pass. Pouha and McGill looked ok.

The Jets backup WR's didn't show much. Harry Williams is raw and has tremendous speed and quickness. He's still not polished though. He beat his man twice downfield and The Jets almost connected. Chas Gessner really dissapointed. He dropped 3 easy passes in traffic. The WR's made Bollinger look bad. The route running wasn't crisp.

The TE's got involved somewhat underneath. Jolley drew a pass interference call when he beat his man and was streaking towards the middle of the field.

Cedric Houston looked tentative running the ball. Had a couple of ok runs but fumbled. Austine Nwabuisi looks like a player at FB. I know that Sam Gash has been working with him. He might be a practice squad candidate.

Decori Birmingham had a real nice punt return in the second half. He could also be a PS candidate.

Some of The Jets young backup offensive lineman did ok like King and Tellis. There were too many mental mistakes from The bottom part of The Jets roster.

Two undrafted players who looked ok were linebackers, Mondoe Davis and Dennis Haley. With McClover's injury, These young LB's have a shot.

All in all, pretty much what one would expect from the first preseason game. Jets have some depth issues right now. On The o-line, at LB and at DB. Jets are taking a big risk at safety. Here's hoping that Maddox gets a chance to play this coming friday.

Practice Squad
    YTF: Thanks for the lengthy report. You seem to be a well schooled Jets fan

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for the great, helpful post YJF. I live in Beantown and couldn't watch the game either. Your post was exactly what I needed to read. Worried about the lack of depth at safety...(sigh).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thanks YJF, I knew I could count on your for some quality analysis. As I said, I DID watch the game, but because of my off-line status, missed out on the great analysis I usually get from yourself, and Hambone and others right after the game. I agree with much of what you said, especially Sowell out of the backfield. I though Dreesen played relatively well as well, but Gessner really really dissapointed me, this was a big chance for him to shine. The O-line looked okay, but I don't think Jones was great, just average (although to be fair, it IS early). Blaylock looked speedy and elusive. Fielder looked average to me.

Well, I get my internet back on the 22nd (High Speed instead of Dial-up, Whoo Hooo!) so I'll miss the post game talk this weekend too.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    Thanks YJF, I knew I could count on your for some quality analysis. As I said, I DID watch the game, but because of my off-line status, missed out on the great analysis I usually get from yourself, and Hambone and others right after the game. I agree with much of what you said, especially Sowell out of the backfield. I though Dreesen played relatively well as well, but Gessner really really dissapointed me, this was a big chance for him to shine. The O-line looked okay, but I don't think Jones was great, just average (although to be fair, it IS early). Blaylock looked speedy and elusive. Fielder looked average to me.

Well, I get my internet back on the 22nd (High Speed instead of Dial-up, Whoo Hooo!) so I'll miss the post game talk this weekend too.....
    Your welcome Warfish. Thanks for the compliments.

It's hard to get a good feel on what kind of team, The Jets have right now. They are very young plus some key players are not involved right now like Abraham, Pennington, Law, Barton, Robertson etc

These preseason games are really about the development of the young players, special teams and the bottom part of the roster. Those three things all tie into eachother.

I like what I saw from the offensive line. The Jets interior trio on the offensive line is as good any teams in The NFL. Mawae, Kendall and Moore are a fantastic trio inside. I am not that worried about Adrian Jones. The skillset is in place with him. He's extremely athletic. He's got great feet. Question will be his power and technique because he's still very raw. He has alot of upside though.

The Jets front line talent, The 22 starters on paper looks very good. I am worried about depth in some areas and the inexperience at certain spots. If a few of these young guys don't show up in the next 2 games. The Jets might have to go out and grab a veteran or two just for depth purposes.

The next game is going to be very interesting for those reasons plus the potential return of Pennington.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

How did you watch it Fisher, DirecTV or something?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jets5ever
    How did you watch it Fisher, DirecTV or something?
    I watched the NFL Network replay at 12 pm on Saturday.