Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knorr leading in the punter battle

Knorr leading in the punter battle

from an article in the daily news:

Despite his silence, Knorr has been solid in camp and would still have to be considered the favorite because of his experience. The competition is still open.

I just don't get this. Graham has looked way better and definitely has the better leg. Mike Westhoff, our special teams coach, is regarded as one of the best in the biz...so why cant he teach him the nuances of the position and prepare him for the nfl

All League
    If we cut Graham it will be a travesty... for sure another team would snatch him up and make him great. Knorr is a journeyman... how can we not take our chances on something that could be a great investment like Graham.

We are always afraid to take risks... let's stop that trend now and bring in the Aussie Cannon!!!

Hall Of Fame
    that blurb means nothing look on the field and you will se Graham punting first in the games and holding for the real kicker, Knorr is first on the depth chart because he is an NFL veteran so he deserves to be over an import that has never played the game before

the team desperately wants Graham to win the job due to potential but its a scary proposition to have an inexperienced punter start on your team so he must tighten up and learn the nuances quickly...remember its not like he punted in college before..he has never punted or been on a footbal field before so rightfully how can he start camp as the first on depth chart

this position battle is far from over

Hall Of Fame
    If the team were to cut Graham, two things I can guarantee you.....

(1) Graham would IMMEDIATELY be picked up by another team. That team would get a pro bowl caliber punter for nothing.

(2) Mike Westhoff would lose a LOT of respect as a coach. He is currently regarded as the best in the business, but if the above occurs a lot of people would rethink there stance........

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    If the team were to cut Graham, two things I can guarantee you.....

(1) Graham would IMMEDIATELY be picked up by another team. That team would get a pro bowl caliber punter for nothing.

(2) Mike Westhoff would lose a LOT of respect as a coach. He is currently regarded as the best in the business, but if the above occurs a lot of people would rethink there stance........
    ALTHOUGH i THINK HIGHLY OF HIS POTENTIAL i DONT SEE HIM GETTING SNATCHED UP AS QUICKLY AS MANY OF YOU THINK (sorry for caps, just noticed) Anyway he has alot of potential but if he gets cut its because he cant hold or keep his kicks where he wants them and under control

Hall Of Fame
    He's worth keeping for a year even if he doesn't play. We'll have a few benchwarmers on the team that are expendable. These are unique circumstances. He's all ready punted pretty well in a game situation with no college or pro experience. He's come far in a short period of time. He'll only get better. You can't teach that kind of leg power.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y
    He's worth keeping for a year even if he doesn't play. We'll have a few benchwarmers on the team that are expendable. These are unique circumstances. He's all ready punted pretty well in a game situation with no college or pro experience. He's come far in a short period of time. He'll only get better. You can't teach that kind of leg power.

no way they waste a roster spot on an extra punter while they teach him technique, no way at all

Rookie
    Last night on the Michael Kay show, Don Lagrecca was saying that Knor is the favorite because he can kick off and Nugent is weak on kickoffs. He kicked one out of bounds vs. the Lions on Fri.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin45
    Last night on the Michael Kay show, Don Lagreca was saying that Knor is the favorite because he can kick off and Nugent is weak on kickoffs. He kicked one out of bounds vs. the Lions on Fri.

LOL, 'weak at kickoffs'??????

one of the reasons he was drafted is due to his leg strenth, we're not talking about Brien here, Nugent consistently kicked teh ball in the endzne at Ohio State and has been doing the same in practice

yeah he had a real bad kickoff late in the Lion game but he is by no means losing his job as kickoff man

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    no way they waste a roster spot on an extra punter while they teach him technique, no way at all
    We'll have 3 or 4 players who don't even get their jerseys dirty this year. This guy has tremendous upside.

I don't think the Jets have the nads to carry him as the only punter.

Hall Of Fame
    We'll have 3 or 4 players who don't even get their jerseys dirty this year. This guy has tremendous upside.

I don't think the Jets have the nads to carry him as the only punter.

but those fews guys that dont dress out hold much more value than punter, I've never heard of using an extra RS on a punter, i just cant see it happening...one guy will win the job and the other will walk IMO

Knorr on kickoffs

Hey,I'm a Jets fan from France trying to keep up with with the J-E-T-S

I'm thrilled a guy like graham is competing for a spot. I don't know a lot about Aussie football, but I know rugby. If the sports resemble each other I'm sure Graham wouldn't have any trouble doing kickoffs.
    In rugby guys regularly kick 50+ field goals with a much bigger ball.

I think the tie breaker will be fg holding skills. If he doesn't screw up, the job is his.

Practice Squad

tell that to a man with the last name of parcells........ he plays the field position game better than anyone in the league, and last i've noticed, has had sucess everywhere he went......... also, everyone is acting like we picked this guy up from selling suits in the mens department at nordstom, he was a professional athelete for years so playing on a stage is not as big a deal as you all are making it.......... does he have to learn? absolutely, but so does the enire offense, a completly new playbook......... definately worth the shot, can't be any worse than last year!!!! aussie aussie aussie!!!

Hall Of Fame
    but those fews guys that dont dress out hold much more value than punter, I've never heard of using an extra RS on a punter, i just cant see it happening...one guy will win the job and the other will walk IMO
    Well I'm willing to let a scrub go for a year to try and develop the next Reggie Roby.

I'm sick of crappy punters.

I'm hoping Bradway's a gambler here. We know what Knorr can do. Give Graham the vast majority of kicks in pre-season. I bet he gets better in 3 games.

Hall Of Fame
    Well I'm willing to let a scrub go for a year to try and develop the next Reggie Roby.

I'm sick of crappy punters.

I'm hoping Bradway's a gambler here. We know what Knorr can do. Give Graham the vast majority of kicks in pre-season. I bet he gets better in 3 games.

I'm with you bro I just want him to win it outright and not holding up a spot and not play

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HobokenBlueHen
    tell that to a man with the last name of parcells........ he plays the field position game better than anyone in the league, and last i've noticed, has had sucess everywhere he went......... also, everyone is acting like we picked this guy up from selling suits in the mens department at nordstom, he was a professional athelete for years so playing on a stage is not as big a deal as you all are making it.......... does he have to learn? absolutely, but so does the enire offense, a completly new playbook......... definately worth the shot, can't be any worse than last year!!!! aussie aussie aussie!!!

Parcells has 2 punters on his team??? which team???

Hall Of Fame
    Its like getting 16 yr old Jessica Simpson for a girlfriend. Ya don't want to cut her lose cuz she's too young. Better to throw her in a closet or box for a couple of years.

Heres the situation with Graham. The Jets are worried about Nugent's ability to kick off. Knorr has the ability to kick off as well as punt. Graham does not. Therefore in order for the Jets to keep Graham 2 things must happen.

1. The Jets have to get more confident in nuge's ability to kickoff

&

2. Graham must get a bit more consistent.

I still think that it will end up being Graham but those are the considerations.

have both. graham should punt it from the jets own 40 and back and knorr should punt it on the other side of the field because i bet he can be more accurate.

Undrafted Free Agent
    the best punter in the history of time remains just a punter