Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcells: Still Having Impact With Jets

Undrafted Free Agent

Parcells: Still Having Impact With Jets

Although Bill Parcells is long gone from the Jets organization,his impact can

still greatly be felt from the players he either: drafted,signed,or traded for:

CHAD PENNINGTON
    CURTIS MARTIN
    KEVIN MAWAE
    LAVERANUES COLES
    JASON FABINI
    JOHN ABRAHAM
    SEAN ELLIS

These players for the most part still make up the core of the Jets..

On the other hand- GM Terry Bradway has done a pretty good job in his

tenure with the Jets -with bringing in such players as:

JONATHAN VILMA
    ERIC BARTON
    DEWAYNE ROBERTSON
    ERIK COLEMAN
    JUSTIN MCcAREINS
    JERRICO COTHERY
    PETE KENDALL

Hopefully this will be the year, all of these players from the two programs

finally mesh together- to put the Jets over the top...

Veteran
    hmmm, how do you classify Ty Law, Parcells drafted him, but Terry traded for him.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by MATTJET13

CHAD PENNINGTON
    CURTIS MARTIN
    KEVIN MAWAE
    LAVERANUES COLES
    JASON FABINI
    JOHN ABRAHAM
    SEAN ELLIS

JONATHAN VILMA
    ERIC BARTON
    DEWAYNE ROBERTSON
    ERIK COLEMAN
    JUSTIN MCcAREINS
    JERRICO COTHERY
    PETE KENDALL

Ty Law anyone?????????

Veteran
    Excuse me, before I am corrected, Bradway signed Ty Law as a free agent, not traded for him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT
    Excuse me, before I am corrected, Bradway signed Ty Law as a free agent, not traded for him.
    L. Coles was brought & bought back by TB.

i can't help but jump on this one. what about the

patsies? didn't the tuna draft law, milloy, bruschi, mcginest, vinatieri, johnson, brown, etc.? weren't these the guys who really showed outstanding leadership to the dolts like seymour and colvin?

the knock against the tuna is that he never seems to do well in the draft but without seeing the other draft gurus he got enough to help the patsies get to 4 superbowls and the jets to an afc championship.

coles was drafted in the 3rd round of the pennington draft.

Quote Originally Posted by usapaw
    moss and jordan were bradway drafts.

All Pro
    Looking back, Parcells really does deserve credit for providing a strong cornerstone for the Jets franchise. His signing of Martin and Mawae, together with a superb draft in 2000 which brought 2 Pro-Bowl DEs, a franchise QB and an elite WR, were hugely important for the organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by usapaw
    Bradway used his draft pick Santana Moss to get Coles back.

Bradway and The Jets scouting staff had a very good 1st draft. They drafted Moss, McKenzie and Jordan. 3 good players. Unfortunately all 3 are now gone.

Parcells deserves credit but he shouldn't get all of it. Al Groh had alot to do with The Jets 2000 draft as did Dick Haley.

Parcells had his share of bad draft picks and free agent signings during his Jets tenure. Guys like Rick Terry, Dorian Boose and Eric Ogbogu. He also signed players like Eric Green, Rick Mirer, Steve Atwater etc

The 2000 draft was one of The Jets greatest drafts ever. They nabbed Ellis, Abraham, Pennington and Coles in that draft. Groh fell in love with Coles and pushed for him hard.

Hall Of Fame
    the biggest impact he left us with was the fact that we paid vinny 5 mill last year and 4 mill this year...not to mention the money given to his boys mo and marvin

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT
    As was Eric Barton

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by goona14
    As was Eric Barton
    And.. Kendall

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Let's not forget Bradway drafted the right side of our starting O-line, Brandon Moore and Adrian Jones.

All Pro
    Bill Parcells turned this franchise around, no question.

But the team that we're fielding now is Terry Bradway's team. I believe --not 100% sure-- that every single player we have was signed (or at least re-signed) by Bradway. That may not sound significant, but some of the re-signings proved very shrewd. Not everyone would have paid Curtis what we gave him at his age. Now, after last year's rushing crown at age 30, that signing looks brilliant. bradway also dumped some promising-looking younger players --remember Marcus Coleman and Ryan Young-- before they flamed out on someone else's dime.

I give his drafts a B+. TB had outstanding drafts in '01 and '04. (Ironic that all we'll have to show for '01 next year is Coles and two fairly high comp picks for Jordan and McKenzie, but those guys won games for us when they were here.) The Robertson trade in 2003 (combined with trading our No. 2 for J-Mac) makes that year look pretty decent as well. 2002 was not a good draft, although Bryan Thomas' strides since the second half of last season make it somewhat more palatable. The early returns on 2005 look promising. If you factor in Jolley, we should have three immediate starters (Jolley, Nugent, Rhodes), and maybe a fourth if Miller starts as a return man.

I give his cap management an A-. He's shown a good eye for young vet free agents (like Barton and J-Mac) who upgrade the team without busting the cap. His late-in-camp signings (Law, Carter, Kendall) have turned last-minute upgrades of key spots --at reasonable prices-- into an annual ritual.

He's obviously had trouble closing some high-profile deals, but some of those flameouts may have actually helped us.

The bottom line is that this franchise is in very good shape right now, and Bradway probably has more to do with it than anyone else.

Practice Squad
    i honestly believe that if parcells would have never left us, we would definitly have been superbowl champs by now...

All Pro
    Who started this thread, Fatcessa?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsjunky
    i honestly believe that if parcells would have never left us, we would definitly have been superbowl champs by now...
    PULEEZE...The fat tuna "turns" teams around then leaves them a mess WITHOUT winning. He has been living of his GIANTS glory WAY TOO LONG.

The Vinny contract alone should show you what an idiot he can be.

He will leave dallas too without a ring, laughing all the way to the bank. DREW BLEDSOE???

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets
    patsies? didn't the tuna draft law, milloy, bruschi, mcginest, vinatieri, johnson, brown, etc.? weren't these the guys who really showed outstanding leadership to the dolts like seymour and colvin?

the knock against the tuna is that he never seems to do well in the draft but without seeing the other draft gurus he got enough to help the patsies get to 4 superbowls and the jets to an afc championship.
    And it is for this reason along with others that Parcells is responsible for the Patriots super bowls as much as Belichick if not more. This should stir some things up.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsjunky
    Or more than likely in Salary Cap hell and in riuns. Bill Parcells left because he thought the team was finished and headed for Cap hell. We have a steady thing going here with Bradway. We are a contender and in decent shape with the salary cap year in and year out. This is also a fairly young Jet team. We should be in the hunt for at least four more years. That is pretty good in todays NFL.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MATTJET13

CHAD PENNINGTON
    CURTIS MARTIN
    KEVIN MAWAE
    LAVERANUES COLES
    JASON FABINI
    JOHN ABRAHAM
    SEAN ELLIS

JONATHAN VILMA
    ERIC BARTON
    DEWAYNE ROBERTSON
    ERIK COLEMAN
    JUSTIN MCcAREINS
    JERRICO COTHERY
    PETE KENDALL

dont forget about Vinny T. I believe he counts 4 mil against the cap this year.