Thread: Question for Dish Network Owners

All League

Question for Dish Network Owners

I just ordered dish network and it will be installed on sunday. I don't know if i'm happy with my decision though because i'[m worried about the TV going out during weather problems. Does anyone know if storms will knock the signal out frequently?

On foggy and cloudy days, yea you'll get rain fade here and there. My cousin has Dish and I wasn't too impressed with their HD selection. They don't offer HD locals which is pretty pathetic.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023
    On foggy and cloudy days, yea you'll get rain fade here and there. My cousin has Dish and I wasn't too impressed with their HD selection. They don't offer HD locals which is pretty pathetic.
    that sucks, does it cut out entirely? I thought it would be better than cablevision but maybe i'm wrong.

It doesn't happen often, and if it does you would only have to wait a few minutes for the heavy cloud to pass. When I had DirecTV I had a signal problem due to bird droppings, it was pretty funny.

Veteran
    I just got the DN and I LOVE it. The picture is far superior to cable. I got the "Super Dish" which is stronger. Check this out if you have doubts.

I've had DirecTv for almost 4 years now and I LOVE IT!! Couldn't be happier. The only time we lose a signal is if there is a severe thunderstorm coming throught the area....but its only for a few minutes until the cluster of the storm passes.

We have DirecTv with Tivo which is an ultimate necessity. I think Dish has their own DVR service but I don't think its as good as Tivo.

If its not too late, I would cancel Dish and call DirecTv ASAP. I know they're having a promotion right now where you get 4 room system and a free DVR including installation.

Good Luck with what ever system you get...its better than giving money to the Dolans and Cablevision.

All League
    thanks for the replies, i'm starting to feel a little better about my decision, i didn't want to go with direct tv because they are more expesive. i went with dish with the DVR so i could get a good price. I'm much happier knowing that it may only go out for a few minutes.

All League

Attention!!!!!

I am switching from cable to direct tv for the sunday ticket. I currently have the cable HD recorder and love it. Direct TV has it for $599. However, they offer the standard tivo for$100 with a $99 rebate when you sign up. $218 for the HD receiver and dish installed. $69 per month, all channels, HD sunday ticket, for 4 months, no HD charge for three months. My question is: Is the HD tivo really worth the $600, or should I get the standard tivo for $1? I mean I could always upgrade later. I love my HD recorder with cable, but I am not sure it's worth that much more than the dollar standard tivo. Any suggestions? And also if I decide to go for the HD tivo down the line, where is the best place to buy one.

Thanks everyone.

Practice Squad
    Go With The Standard.

Trust Me High Def Anything Is Only Really Really Worth It If You Have Say Any Tv Over 46 Inches Or If It Is A Flat Screen

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT
    I am switching from cable to direct tv for the sunday ticket. I currently have the cable HD recorder and love it. Direct TV has it for $599. However, they offer the standard tivo for$100 with a $99 rebate when you sign up. $218 for the HD receiver and dish installed. $69 per month, all channels, HD sunday ticket, for 4 months, no HD charge for three months. My question is: Is the HD tivo really worth the $600, or should I get the standard tivo for $1? I mean I could always upgrade later. I love my HD recorder with cable, but I am not sure it's worth that much more than the dollar standard tivo. Any suggestions? And also if I decide to go for the HD tivo down the line, where is the best place to buy one.

Thanks everyone.
    I started out with the standard TiVo and then when I got the HD TiVo (it is worth it IF you want to record in HD) I moved the standard TiVo to the other (kids) room TV.

It won't go bad.

I have Dish and I like it alot. I have only had problems with it once during a big thunder storm where the signal dropped in and out for about 10 minutes. Other than that I have had little problems. The picture quality probably depends on what size TV you have. There are a few stations that I think look very poor on my TV(its a 50" LCD projection) compared to the cable signal I used to get prior to moving. Not having the HD locals kind of stinks(and the analog locals on Dish are crummy picture quality, IMO), but I get all but NBC through an antenna. I dont think the PQ on Direct Tv is any better over my friends house though. The HD on Dish was better than cable. They offer the typical offerings plus TNTHD and the Voom package, which sometime soon I plan on ordering. Im very happy with it. Its cheaper than Cablevision and Direct TV andI think its well worth it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    I have Dish and I like it alot. I have only had problems with it once during a big thunder storm where the signal dropped in and out for about 10 minutes. Other than that I have had little problems. The picture quality probably depends on what size TV you have. There are a few stations that I think look very poor on my TV(its a 50" LCD projection) compared to the cable signal I used to get prior to moving. Not having the HD locals kind of stinks(and the analog locals on Dish are crummy picture quality, IMO), but I get all but NBC through an antenna. I dont think the PQ on Direct Tv is any better over my friends house though. The HD on Dish was better than cable. They offer the typical offerings plus TNTHD and the Voom package, which sometime soon I plan on ordering. Im very happy with it. Its cheaper than Cablevision and Direct TV andI think its well worth it.
    Thanks, thats a big help for me, i appreciate your response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    I just ordered dish network and it will be installed on sunday. I don't know if i'm happy with my decision though because i'[m worried about the TV going out during weather problems. Does anyone know if storms will knock the signal out frequently?
    as much as i despise the dolans i am a cablevision customer and iam quite content with my selection mainly for the 16 HD channels many of which are local including YES and cablevision confirmed they would be adding at least 4 more HD channels by years end, Discovery HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, FX HD

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    thanks for the replies, i'm starting to feel a little better about my decision, i didn't want to go with direct tv because they are more expesive. i went with dish with the DVR so i could get a good price. I'm much happier knowing that it may only go out for a few minutes.
    I've had Dish Network now for about 8 years and it very rarely goes out due to cloud cover. I'd say 4 times a year at the tops and then only for a few minutes. Much better than Cable was before that. And a much better pic. If your not in a New York area you can try to ask for a waiver from your local CBS station and add on the CBS feed out of NY through Dish. Then you get all the jets games for $1.50 a month. sweet.
    Good choice on the DVR. it's awesome. you'll be hooked and will never be able to live without one.