Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad's Got the fever

Banned

Chad's Got the fever

Super Bowl fever, that is

NEWSDAY

Chad's Got Bowl fever

By Johnette Howard

In the long, grinding rehabilitation and wait to play his first live game tonight against the Minnesota Vikings, Chad Pennington's right shoulder has been the most talked about body part on a Jets quarterback since Joe Namath's bad knees.

Pennington is coming back from rotator-cuff surgery, after all. He's an unyielding perfectionist who's had an abbreviated amount of practice time to learn the Jets' new offense. He's stuck in a division dominated by a dynastic team, the New England Patriots, and their wonder boy quarterback, Tom Brady, whose renown as the NFL's greatest big-game player casts a shadow over every other player at the position, especially when it counts most - playoff time.

Yet, while Peyton Manning and his Indianapolis Colts have spent this preseason denying that they "obsess" about beating the Patriots, Pennington is different. He returned this preseason publicly declaring his Super Bowl ambitions, same as ever, though the odds against him have arguably not been steeper.

But that brings us to the rousing part of the story: Pennington doesn't care.

A lot of other players in his position would just shut up, avoid sticking their necks out and wait to see what unfolds.

Not Pennington. He dangles the idea of the Super Bowl in front of the Jets more often than any other player. Then he seems equally determined to keep the topic out there, smack in the forefront of everyone's brain, until it's like some jingle you can't get out of your head, or some mantra that someone told you once upon a time and, lo and behold, it came true.

"The whole idea is winning a championship - that's the only thing that matters," Pennington said the other day.

That ambition is the invaluable extra that Pennington brings to the Jets, along with his ability. The emotional pitch that he sets is what the Jets can't replace when he's gone.

The way Pennington talks about the Super Bowl is notable, too. It isn't in some rote, lip-service kind of way like a lot of players reflexively do. It's not his default answer when he's asked about his goals. Both in public and behind the scenes, Pennington talks and acts and works like a title victory does - yes - obsess him.

Pennington has this unusual mix of enthusiasm and unsinkable ambition wed to an almost geek-like habit of anticipating, planning and fretting about things down to the very last nanosecond. He pulled out a calendar for Herman Edwards at the Jets coach's football camp weeks ago and scribbled in this past Tuesday as the first day he'd try his first two-a-day practices of training camp - then hit the date exactly. He knows precisely how many practices the Jets have left before breaking training camp. He's been overheard fighting with the Jets' trainers to sneak in and take a few more snaps.

Plenty of other players see it as their responsibility to know an offense inside out. But Pennington acts as if it's a calling, a crusade, some fastidious fight to the finish tantamount to wrestling some writhing python until he's got it pinned to the ground.

Someone less driven might not have played through the rotator-cuff tear that Pennington secretly endured the last five games of last season, when the Jets finished 2-3. He often didn't look good. He was scattershot. He had to absorb all those barbs that he can't win the big game without telling everything about his injured shoulder, which he and the Jets initially claimed was only strained.

The real truth came out only after the Jets fell one, then two, missed field goals short of beating Pittsburgh and playing New England for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

The Jets have another chance this year. And three weeks into this training camp, not a discouraging word about his shoulder has tumbled from Pennington's lips.

Playing tonight and taking some hits shapes up as another milestone in his comeback, yet Pennington insists he's not concerned.

"I'm excited," he said. "It's been awhile and a long road, so this is kind of the first step to ending the recovery phase and just moving on, playing QB, and trying to lead this team where we want to go."

He didn't say the words "Super Bowl." He almost doesn't have to anymore.

Banned
    Might as well CATCH THE FEVER as well, fellas ... with the blessing of health the New York Jets, your New York Jets, OUR New York Jets, are Goin to the Show!

CATCH THE FEVER
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-19-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Banned
    Chad's got the fever and the only cure...... is more cowbell! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But seriously, I've said it before, I love this guy's attitude. He just wants to win. It goes along with Edwards and Bradway and what I like about what they've done. They have changed the culture of this franchise. These are not the "same old Jets" and it's because of the focus on success that Johnson, Bradway and Edwards brought here. The "same old Jets" would have completely folded when Chad went down last year. The "same old Jets" would never go after a Ty Law. The "same old Jets" would have never recovered from the Redskins raping of the roster in the winter of '02.

All Pro
    Whenever he says something like that, I always tend to believe him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider
    ...and the only prescription...is more cowbell
    great minds, ganggreen, great minds

All Pro
    haha I had to edit it because I didn't want to kill the joke. LOL...good call klecko

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Might as well CATCH THE FEVER as well, fellas ... with the blessing of health the New York Jets, your New York Jets, OUR New York Jets, are Goin to the Show!

CATCH THE FEVER
    There has NEVER been a time when I am rooting for what you just said to come true as hard as I am right now!!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i love this kid ...

... that is the essence of being a leader ... listening to him & curtis & mawae ... it really makes you appreciate the character of those who are the field generals of your team ...

... thank you C-P ... keep doing what you're doing ... i have a good feeling about this season as well ... let's see how he does with live bullets ... trying to temper my enthusiasm ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet

There has NEVER been a time when I am rooting for what you just said to come true as hard as I am right now!!!!
    I - Got a feeeeel'in .... the Jets are Goin to the Super Bowl

Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-19-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Rookie
    Funny, every team in the NFL starts thinking Super Bowl in June or July, every team except the Patriots.
    I'm not sure, we have played 1 preseason game against a team that has no idea who their starting QB may be at the end of the season and finished 6-10 last year.
    I think we'll do good, but be caustiously optimistic. We still have to see how the $64 million dollar question is answered.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by klecko73god
    Chad's got the fever and the only cure...... is more cowbell! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But seriously, I've said it before, I love this guy's attitude. He just wants to win. It goes along with Edwards and Bradway and what I like about what they've done. They have changed the culture of this franchise. These are not the "same old Jets" and it's because of the focus on success that Johnson, Bradway and Edwards brought here. The "same old Jets" would have completely folded when Chad went down last year. The "same old Jets" would never go after a Ty Law. The "same old Jets" would have never recovered from the Redskins raping of the roster in the winter of '02.
    While I agree Bradway has added some exciting young players to go
    with the players that Tuna brought in, it was Tuna who turned around
    a 1-15 Pathetic Jet Franchise that never had a losing season till 03!
    Herm didn't take over a 1-15 or 2-14 Team like Fox or Lewis had to
    deal with! I agree that this year barring injuries could indeed be a very
    Special one!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    While I agree Bradway has added some exciting young players to go
    with the players that Tuna brought in, it was Tuna who turned around
    a 1-15 Pathetic Jet Franchise that never had a losing season till 03!
    Herm didn't take over a 1-15 or 2-14 Team like Fox or Lewis had to
    deal with! I agree that this year barring injuries could indeed be a very
    Special one!!
    get real, he took over a team, that when coach by Al Groh, not Parcells, was headed in the wrong direction, if we had won with Parcells, it would have been Parcells' championship. This is a team!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

get real, he took over a team, that when coach by Al Groh, not Parcells, was headed in the wrong direction, if we had won with Parcells, it would have been Parcells' championship. This is a team!
    Let's see..Groh was a Bad Coach "I agree" and went 9-7 with a QB that
    hadn't played in a year and Hall who missed 2 FG's against the Lions or
    the Jets would have made the playoffs! Not to mention scored the most
    points against a Raven Team that won the Super Bowl that year with a
    Defense rated one of the Best ever in the NFL!! Yet Hermie goes 9-7
    and wins the east (Thanks to a great Pats 4th quarter comeback vs
    the Fins) and he's praised as a Savior?? Homerism at it's Finest!!

Banned
    Let's see..Groh was a Bad Coach "I agree" and went 9-7 with a QB that
    hadn't played in a year and Hall who missed 2 FG's against the Lions or
    the Jets would have made the playoffs! Not to mention scored the most
    points against a Raven Team that won the Super Bowl that year with a
    Defense rated one of the Best ever in the NFL!! Yet Hermie goes 9-7
    and wins the east (Thanks to a great Pats 4th quarter comeback vs
    the Fins) and he's praised as a Savior?? Homerism at it's Finest!!
    look, i got enough dealing with the idiot chowds on this board, i don't want to argue with people who wear the same colors. honestly tell me it was better in the steinberg/coslet era or the walton era. my excitment about the current regime is based onthe fact that we don't finish last two out of three years and the team seems to be headed in the right direction, not drafting guys like roger vick or mike haight in the first round. there is a positive forward looking focus that i haven't seen in 25-plus years of following this team. the jets are no longer the laughing stock of the nfl, the image of team is changing. tell me i'm wrong.
    Last edited by klecko73god; 08-19-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Rookie
    This article is yet another example of why in my 20+ years of rooting for the Jets, Chad is easily the 1 player I have rooted hardest for... and am damn proud & honored to wear his jersey...

Even if Chad doesn't measure up to the lofty goals we all have for him (& the even higher goals he has for himself), I will root harder for no one else.

THIS IS OUR YEAR.

I'VE GOT THE FEVER.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

YOU DA MAN!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

look, i got enough dealing with the idiot chowds on this board, i don't want to argue with people who the same colors. honestly tell me it was better in steinberg/coslet era or the walton era. my excitment about the current regime is based onthe fact that we don't finish last two out of three years and the team seems to be headed in the right direction, not drafting guys like roger vick or mike haight in the first round. there is a positive forward looking focus that i haven't seen in 25-plus years of following this team. the jets are no longer the laughing stock of the nfl, the image of team is changing.
    The Problem is I agree with you..But I give credit where it's due! The
    Tuna turned the Franchise around! He also was responsible for some
    God Awful Contracts along the way! If you want to say TB and Herm
    have kept what he did going we agree!! And I go back to the Titan
    days so believe me when I say, I understand your pain and frustration
    over the many Bad years this franchise has gone through! But like I
    always say..I like "Reality" with my football and to just give TB or Herm
    All the credit when your QB, 1/2 your O-line your "Star RB" and 3/4's of
    your D-line were brought in by the Former GM/HC is not being truthful
    IMHO!! And we also agree that this Season has all the makings of a
    "Special Season" that could very well end up in Detroit!!

All League
    Chad definitely is a great leader and has a lot of confidence in himself, which is very important in coming back from an injury. Our whole team, especially CP, has this Superbowl swagger, and I love it. CATCH THE FEVER!

Banned
    Where did I give them all the credit? Tuna got it started but they could have easily dropped the ball. I just think that Terry and Herm have taken it to a new level, like I said before, if we won under Parcells, it wouldn't have been "Jets win SB!" on the back page of the Post it would have been "Tuna wins SB!" and the jets would have simply been the vehicle he took to get there. if we win now, the organization will be praised and rightfully so.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If we have to give credit, I would assume that we have to discredit as well- That damn Parcells was as equally responsible for the problems in '03.

You can't have it both ways.

Of course, everyone knows that ANY coach can take over a club that has performed fairly well, and continue the course of success. Ask Ray Handley or Richie Petitbon