Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pats lose and I love it

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken
    Whhooo! this makes me breath a lot easier, because I thought guys like Mahwae, Martin, Kendell, Law, Chrebet etc were key players for the Jets. Its good to know that they are as old, decrepit and washed up as all those Pats players.

READ THE ****ING POST... GOD DAMN....
    When did he say those players were not able to play well? He said they weren't YOUNG, not weren't GOOD ANYMORE. I'd love to have an OLD guy like Harrison (for his playing ability, not the fact that he will forever be known as the biggest **** in football), but that doesn't change the fact that he's OLD, just like the players you mentioned.

you mentioned seven. can you count?

Quote Originally Posted by PFSIKH
    Only Corey Dillon on the offense is on the wrong side of 30.

Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Green are 25, 24, 23 and 26 respectively with a 25 (Bailey) and 23 (Hill backing them up.

Chad Brown is 35, McGinest is 33 and Vrabel is 30. Beisel and Colvin are both 27. The two back-ups wiht the most time with the team is Banta-Cain (27) and Chatham (28), plus second year Alexander (23).

Rodney (32), Starks (31) and Poole (33) are the senior memebers of the DBs. Wilson (25) and Samuel (24) are the cronerstones of the future with Gay (23), Hobbs (22) Reid (24), Scott (23) and rookie Sanders (21) backing them up.

Of all the players on the wrong side of 30, two were not even with the team last year (Brown and Starks) and a third (Poole) missed the last 17 games due to injury.

Where exactly are the old people you speak of?
    i don't doubt that all of those players will still be good football players but father time has a way of leveling things out and you can't expect they will perform as well as they did last year. moreover, who would have ever thought that bruschi would have suffered a stroke at his age. finally, the bigger point is that those over 30 types are the ones that represent the field leadership and i don't see where seymour, colvin and the rest of the younger guys are ready or even willing to take over. there is only so much that bellichicken and his coaches can do to get the players to play hard. it also takes leadership on the field.

All League
    I just cant put TOO much stock in a preseason game. I think that winning is good for a team psyche, but a lot of the minute elements such as yardage allowed and stuff like that I think is easily corrected by good teams.

I didnít see the hit by Harrison, but his "good guy playing tough" schtick has gotten old to me. He has already established that he is a good finisher, but he's always trying to injure somebody (remember Chuck Cecil?).

I think that I read the Pats and Bucs had the oldest teams last year. I would never have considered them "young".

Saints are no slouches running the ball. Even the Bucs more noted defense's gave up big ground yardage to the Saints (and ultimately lost).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeJetsFan
    So sad that Pats fan cannot learn to READ. Not once did I ever say we did not have aging players on both sides of the ball as well. But we didn't play last night, and the commentators did not call a game for us!! Funny how we can miss the point of a thread so easily. Seems like we keep missing the word "key" but I would expect that from you I presume. Do we have key older players on the wrong side of 30? Umm, yes. Did Buck and Aikman refer to the Jets as a young team last night? Umm, no.

Hey, try READING the thread first before you post a reply. Myopic Jets fan? Any brains at all?

We'll see you in December when it counts. Till then, keep your pie hole shut....
    Again, which one of those players over 30 that I listed would bring the Patriots' dynasty to a crashing halt?

You have yet to make a point other then a blanket statement saying 'key' players are old. Who?

We know it is no one on offense.

McGinest? Harrison?

Make an argument an back it up other then some blanket 'key' statement.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by rep
    READ THE ****ING POST... GOD DAMN....
    When did he say those players were not able to play well? He said they weren't YOUNG, not weren't GOOD ANYMORE. I'd love to have an OLD guy like Harrison (for his playing ability, not the fact that he will forever be known as the biggest **** in football), but that doesn't change the fact that he's OLD, just like the players you mentioned.
    THANK YOU!! Somebody who understood the thread from the beginning!

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Again, which one of those players over 30 that I listed would bring the Patriots' dynasty to a crashing halt?

You have yet to make a point other then a blanket statement saying 'key' players are old. Who?

McGinest? Harrison?

Make an argument an back it up other then some blanket 'key' statement.
    Can't believe I am responding back to this post yet again. My myopic mind has led me to type another message.

KEY PLAYERS: Dillon, Harrison, McGinnest, Poole, Chad Brown (a starter, so he is key), Troy Brown, Bruschi (even though he is out).

These guys are essential players for the Pats success. Think you would have made SB XXIX without Corey Dillon and his 1,500+ yards? Think Asanti Samuel and Randall Gay would have been successful without Harrison's leadership and guidance? It is not a matter of coming to a "crashing halt" if one player is lost, but Dillon would be right up there, as would Curtis Martin.

My staement was not a "blanket key statement" as you so aptly described. You just failed to see the entire point and shot off your mouth in defense of your Patsies.

Practice Squad

Only Corey Dillon on the offense is on the wrong side of 30.
    so corey dillon isnt a key player.

you said it yourself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    You're gloating over a preseason game? Man what a bunch of dummies we have on this board.
    Amen to that!!

I was hoping the Pats would win last night. I hate the Aints. Pats O looked good, what really did them in was letting the aints convert all those third downs. BB is gonna be chewing *** after that game. Few players on D looked good. Tully Banta-Cain(one of my fav pats) Klecko pushed the pocket. So basically the D undermined their extremly good o in this game.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RidgeJetsFan]Can't believe I am responding back to this post yet again. My myopic mind has led me to type another message.

Think you would have made SB XXIX without Corey Dillon and his 1,500+ yards?

Let's see, they won two Super Bowls with Antone "frickin" Smith running the ball so yes they they could have.

they could've taken a fan out of the stands and made him Superbowl MVP.

[QUOTE=shasta]
    Can't believe I am responding back to this post yet again. My myopic mind has led me to type another message.

Think you would have made SB XXIX without Corey Dillon and his 1,500+ yards?

Let's see, they won two Super Bowls with Antone "frickin" Smith running the ball so yes they they could have.

All Pro

KEY PLAYERS: Dillon, Harrison, McGinnest, Poole, Chad Brown (a starter, so he is key), Troy Brown, Bruschi (even though he is out).

These guys are essential players for the Pats success. Think you would have made SB XXIX without Corey Dillon and his 1,500+ yards? Think Asanti Samuel and Randall Gay would have been successful without Harrison's leadership and guidance? It is not a matter of coming to a "crashing halt" if one player is lost, but Dillon would be right up there, as would Curtis Martin.

My staement was not a "blanket key statement" as you so aptly described. You just failed to see the entire point and shot off your mouth in defense of your Patsies.
    Ridge - Now we are getting somewhere.

Dillon, Harrison, Bruschi and McGinest are fair picks.

As for some of the others.
    Chad Brown - I would not put him in the key category yet. Not equating him to a rookie, but he is learning the system. I will wait to see if he starts.

Troy Brown - Troy's best days are behind him. There are better wideouts and returners on the team. He is no longer a key player to the success of the Patriots. He is a nice player to have.

Poole - We won a title without him. He missed the last 17 games.

The bottomline is this, the Patriots are still a good team . If one of the key players that we both agree go down, they will not be as good, but they will still be good. Belichick will protect them with his scheming. The most indespensible people inthe dynasty are Belichick and Brady.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    You know, its not like we just found that out. Calm down. I think we all know it was a preseason game. But for crying out loud, is it wrong for people to actually give their reaction? If the game was as worthless as some of you imply, then why would FOX even bother to broadcast those 2 teams on our airwaves? Probably because SOME of us enjoy football, regardless where in the season it is. Hell I enjoy Arena football too.
    The game is broadcast because people watch it. Look through the past, preseason records have 0 correlation with how teams do during the regular season.
    It's not wrong to give a reaction, but very little is proven during a preseason game. The only thing I took away from teh game is that I missed football season

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Chad Brown - I would not put him in the key category yet. Not equating him to a rookie, but he is learning the system. I will wait to see if he starts.

Troy Brown - Troy's best days are behind him. There are better wideouts and returners on the team. He is no longer a key player to the success of the Patriots. He is a nice player to have.

The bottomline is this, the Patriots are still a good team . If one of the key players that we both agree go down, they will not be as good, but they will still be good. Belichick will protect them with his scheming. The most indespensible people inthe dynasty are Belichick and Brady.
    Can't deny you have a great team. 3 SB's in 4 years will dictate that. And just like us, you have aging veterans on your squad that have a direct effect on the team's success. That was all I tried to say with my thread. Some Pats fans overanalyzed it and made some dumb remarks.

i suggest you add vinatieri and while you're at

it, pioli and the guy that signs the checks. i think kraft is a total scumball but he has certainly shown the right touch with this team and he has been rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    You're gloating over a preseason game? Man what a bunch of dummies we have on this board.
    Bingo !

All League
    it isn't that I'm happy the Patriots lost becuase it means anything...

There isn't a single Patriot fan out there that didn't want them to win, even though it didn't mean anything. Thus, I'm happy to see Patriot fans upset, even if it meant only 2 seconds of "damn, we lost," before the "whatever" kicked in.

2. About 2-3 times Joe Buck and Troy Aikman both refereed to the Pats as a "young" team. This couldn't be any furthur from the truth. The vast majority of their key players are right near 30 or older. This list includes Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinnest, Harrison, T. Brown, Faulk, C. Brown, Dillon, and Poole. Yes the Pats have some good young players as well (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Watson, Graham). And I know they still have Brady at age 28. But gimme a break, their key players are not getting any younger and cannot be considered young "future" players by any means.
    "Key" players ? Who defines "key". How about we just look at the age of starters ?

First off, cross Bruschi off your list... he's not playing, he's out for the season, maybe more, why does he factor into the age of this team ?

Second, Troy Brown and Kevin Faulk are not starters, they're role players used in spot duty... I'd hardly call Brown a 'key' player at this stage in his career, you could make a case for Faulk being key, but he;s a third down back who sees the field maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the team's plays.

I'll grant you Vrabel, Harrison, McGinnest, and Chad Brown.

Won't give you Dillon, unless you want to tell me over 30 backs means they're on the decline... I think the seasons CuMar and Dillon had last season sort of skews that.

So how about the under 30 starters ? Watson, Graham, Branch, Givens, Brady, Pass, the entire offensive line except Tom Ashworth, the entire defensive line, the starting corners, the nickel back. Fact is the Pats have more starters under 30 than over... 'key' players is a subjective term, but the overall point by the Fox broadcasters wasn't a wrong one, there are a lot of young players on this team, good mix of both in fact.

3. On a positive note, wasn't it great to see Brady's first pass and INT by Dwight Smith? Oh it was lovely. And the Pats run D looked pathetic last night, yielding 125 yards to the Saints in the 1st half.
    Did you stop watching the game after that pass ? How'd he look marching his team down the field the rest of the time he was in there.

The only undeniable point you've made is that the run D was beyond awful last night.
    There isn't a single Patriot fan out there that didn't want them to win, even though it didn't mean anything. Thus, I'm happy to see Patriot fans upset, even if it meant only 2 seconds of "damn, we lost," before the "whatever" kicked in.
    Nice try, but it didn't matter a lick to me... I watch pre-season for the same reason the coaches do, evaluation, I care about how our first teams played, not what the final score was. So in that sense, I was saying 'damn, we got run over in the ground game', but didn't blink at the final score.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Power
    Bingo !
    Now wait a second. How come when Miami beat NE last season, because the game didn't matter for NE, did Pats fans start saying , Big F'n Deal. Now a garbage team beats the reigning super bowl champs in a preseason game, its the same reaction? If you ask me, if I were a Pats fan, Id be upset with those losses, but grateful they didn't mean anything. Is this the typical reaction of a Pats fan? To take a loss and twist it up so that the Pats can afford to lose these games, and yet still keep face.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    Now wait a second. How come when Miami beat NE last season, because the game didn't matter for NE, did Pats fans start saying , Big F'n Deal. Now a garbage team beats the reigning super bowl champs in a preseason game, its the same reaction? If you ask me, if I were a Pats fan, Id be upset with those losses, but grateful they didn't mean anything. Is this the typical reaction of a Pats fan? To take a loss and twist it up so that the Pats can afford to lose these games, and yet still keep face.
    Yes, it's a pre-season game, the Pats can afford to lose it.

And who says I wasn't upset with the Miami loss ? I just kept the perspective at the time that if they came back the next week and returned to form against the Jets (which they did) and righted themselves before the playoffs, in the grand scheme of last year's season, the loss meant nothing. And guess what ? It didn't.