Thread: Need help with HD setup

Practice Squad

Need help with HD setup

Any help would be appreciated;

I have DirectTV and the Sunday Ticket & Superfan package. I will be buying a 42 inch plasma with HD within the next 2 weeks. Do I need anything else to get HD? Any suggestions on which brand of TV? Special Cables?

Thanks

Practice Squad
    Come on people. I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

I want to watch my football and Lost this fall in HD.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    I have HD too, though with a modest 31" tube TV. I watched the Jets in HD for the very first time last night vs. the Vikings!!

Check out the connections from your DTV box and to the TV. You will probably have options for the component (RGB) hookups and/or a DVI/HDMI.

The component cable is a three cables/plug set colored red, green and blue that do video only. DVI is a single cable that does digital video only. HDMI is a single cable that does both digital video and audio to your TV. With component or DVI you also will use one of those sets of red and white audio cables to the TV. If you have a stereo, you'll also want to run a digital audio cable to your receiver regardless of what audio line (if any) you are running to the TV.

My TV has both component (2 sets of inputs) and DVI (1 input). I use the DVI from my Comcast box to the TV for Hi Def cable television, and I use the component inputs for my DVD player and X-Box. I run a digital audio cable from the box to my stereo receiver.

HD is really nice, esp. with widescreen HD tv's. That plus running a digital audio line to a nice stereo system with Dolby 5.1 speakers is awesome. True home theater!

In fact, my Comcast box has a DVR built in, so I was recording the Jets/Vikes game while also watching some of the Mets/Nationals game in hi def on INHD.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    Oh, some people swear by real expensive Monster Cables and such. I just usually get good name brand stuff from Walmart. I think I paid about $20-25 for a DVI cable (since Comcast lied to me and did not supply one). I have short cable runs (no more than 6 feet).

Your DirecTV box may come with some cables (probably a component cable and standard audio cables). Component actually gives a pretty good picture. I tried both that and DVI, and I swear DVI was slightly better. Plus, that freed up one of my component inputs for the X-Box.

I think I paid like $12-15 for a digital optical audio cable at Walmart.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Keep in mind if you have TIVO you'll need 2 lines from your Direct TV!

DVI will become obsolete eventually, current and future HD equipment are pushing towards HDMI as the new HD standard, DVI is optional but make sure the TV you purchase has component and HDMI inputs (more and more consumer electronics will support only hdmi outputs, Playstation 3 comes to mind).

You should also note that Component video is also sometimes called YPbPr or YCbCr.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jegjet
    Any help would be appreciated;

I have DirectTV and the Sunday Ticket & Superfan package. I will be buying a 42 inch plasma with HD within the next 2 weeks. Do I need anything else to get HD? Any suggestions on which brand of TV? Special Cables?

Thanks
    You may need a DirecTv HD receiver and multi satellite dish installed on your roof. Heres the DirecTv website info on getting HD properly.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagin..._equipment.dsp

flushingjet
    Have you already upgraded your dish to Oval w\Triple - LNB (so you can get Sat 101 and the 2 HD sats - 110 & 119?) & the STB to the
    Hughes H10? (so you can get HD) the H10 has the HDMI output, previous years dont. HDMI is like going back to the original one cable\coax model
    but carrying X.1 audio + Component+ video quality. DVI is video only, HDMI is video & audio.

Also dont get an H10 made in Korea (earlier 2005 model mfrd by Samsung) get the H10 mfrd in Indonesia (Philips). Also, you can get OTA HD signals D* doesnt carry (like the 2nd WABC channel, WWOR) with even a small indoor antenna- I recommend the Silver Sensor (Philips, Zenith)

All League
    While several people swear by the monster cable, comparable brands work fine. You'd just be overpaying by a bunch.The cable does not come with the package, and it's cheaper to get it yourself. You also have to upgrade the dish as above.

Have an experienced installer do it, and make sure he's familiar with HDTV. many installers aren't. And either buy a local HD antenna or make sure he's brining one.

Also, when installed certain programming packages give you DVR/Tivo service free, but you have ask. Make sure your Directv installer knows about the glitch in the Directv HD10 receivers which require a pulse from the satellite company to fix. If you don't get it, your tv freezes up for a few seconds several times an hour. I had the HDTV box installed in June and the correction wasn't downloaded from the satellite until August 9th. They schedule such downloads by time zone. If you get the HD10, see if it can be downloaded upon installation.

Sorry to say that right now the scumbags at Cablevision offer more HDTV channels, but they're adding more every day.YES offers Yankee home games(94) in HD, Most network channels, ESPN(70) and HBO(73) and others are all available.

Got 43" plasma Pioneer at Costco for about $2900. So far,excellent. But look around. Prices are dropping every day.
    Last edited by Bugg; 08-20-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Veteran
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxJetFan
    I have HD too, though with a modest 31" tube TV. I watched the Jets in HD for the very first time last night vs. the Vikings!!

Check out the connections from your DTV box and to the TV. You will probably have options for the component (RGB) hookups and/or a DVI/HDMI.

The component cable is a three cables/plug set colored red, green and blue that do video only. DVI is a single cable that does digital video only. HDMI is a single cable that does both digital video and audio to your TV. With component or DVI you also will use one of those sets of red and white audio cables to the TV. If you have a stereo, you'll also want to run a digital audio cable to your receiver regardless of what audio line (if any) you are running to the TV.

My TV has both component (2 sets of inputs) and DVI (1 input). I use the DVI from my Comcast box to the TV for Hi Def cable television, and I use the component inputs for my DVD player and X-Box. I run a digital audio cable from the box to my stereo receiver.

HD is really nice, esp. with widescreen HD tv's. That plus running a digital audio line to a nice stereo system with Dolby 5.1 speakers is awesome. True home theater!

In fact, my Comcast box has a DVR built in, so I was recording the Jets/Vikes game while also watching some of the Mets/Nationals game in hi def on INHD.

i have tivo and my tv is hd ready i have always been told that i needed to have a hd receiver hooked up to the tv to recv the hd signal ? is this true..