Thread: Gates

Practice Squad

Gates

Is SD that freaking stupid? They told Gates to sign the contract or be suspended for the first game. A guy that did so much for SD, is getting 380k is consider a fair deal? Geeez don't you think he should get at least 1 mil instead of 380k? I know alot of players are just plain greedy but this time, the team is greedy and just plain stupid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Hall Of Fame
    get your facts straight he wants a contract comparable to Tony Gonzalez who has been to like 6 pro bowls, if he was looking for a mil i am sure they would give it to him. how does a player who had 1 good year have the balls to hold out? the NFL is just going down the drains, TO, Gates, Abe all punks. what is the point of a multiyear deal? its mulitple years!!!!! u dont get to renegotiate every years!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyD302
    Is SD that freaking stupid? They told Gates to sign the contract or be suspended for the first game. A guy that did so much for SD, is getting 380k is consider a fair deal? Geeez don't you think he should get at least 1 mil instead of 380k? I know alot of players are just plain greedy but this time, the team is greedy and just plain stupid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

he doesnt want a mil, he wants a lot more and if you ask me the chargers are right. they shouldnt give in to a guy who has played for ONE YEAR... go out and do it again, then we'll pay you....

Practice Squad
    Oh I get it. So you two, if you busted your @ss all year and did better then everyone or most of your peers, you shouldn't get a raise? So your making 40k a year and someone else does the same thing as you, also busts his @ss, and he gets fat raise to 100k a year you wouldn't be piss? Yeah ok, point is he had a great year, and wants to cash in while he can. I never said Gates wants 1 mil a year, I said SD should've offer him a mil, instead of the pathic 380k. That makes them look cheap.

Practice Squad
    It's all about leverage. There are times when the player has the leverage, like a #1 draft choice who has done nothing in the league yet gets a big signing bonus and a big contract. There is a veteran free agent player who strikes it rich, like Lamont Jordan. And then there are the other guys who are early in their careers, who were not pedigree players and did not get the big first contract, who have a breakout year and yet have absolutely no leverage at all. San Diego is simply conducting this negotiation as they should, the player has no leverage and there is no reason for San Diego to give more than they need to.

All League
    I do wonder where the middle ground was. I wonder if San Diego tried to settle into a more long term contract; possibly one where the first year would be mostly incentive based and the next few would be able to be optioned out if he doesn't perform...

I must say, it is smart teams like the Rams that know how to handle players with breakout years. Give them contracts that are mostly incentive based but that can pull in the big bucks if something goes wrong and never too long for older guys. In this way they really rode the Kurt Warner train best they could - Kurt was happy and rich when he was going to the Super Bowl, and there was no cap hell after his game mysteriously evaporated as quickly as it came.

Practice Squad
    I heard they offered him like $4 M a year for 5 years and he turned it down.

That's kind of crazy - that's a nice deal for a TE.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStop
    I heard they offered him like $4 M a year for 5 years and he turned it down.

That's kind of crazy - that's a nice deal for a TE.
    If that is indeed the case I'd agree that in this particular example Gates is being a douche.

Honestly, though, I'm never a massive opponent of guys trying to bring in the cash unless they're just truly working out of greed. But guys who are trying to find their way up like Gates here might just have a case - had he accepted SD's five mil for 4 years offer. It's tough to feed a family and realistically $400K will only go so far if you only get it once and never again for the rest of your life.

Veteran
    While I would normally agree with the prevailing opinion here, Gates isnt just a 'rookie coming off 1 good year.' He was signed as a project, because he'd never played the game, not at ALL because of his all conference hoops star body. Gates game last year was based on his lethal combination of size, strength, and leaping ability, not subtlety or technique. Since he hasnt even learned most of the nuances of his position, yet was still a young and DOMINANT te, there is no reason to think last year wasnt a foreshadowing of years to come.