Thread: If we go with 4 running backs, I see Sowell getting cut!

Practice Squad

If we go with 4 running backs, I see Sowell getting cut!

Don't get me wrong; I like Sowell; but it seems to me that Houston is a better runner than Sowell. Not to mention 8 years younger.

Last year we kept 4 running backs total.

I am starting to like what I see in Askew, and I feel that he deserves a roster spot before Houston.

What does everyone else think?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Evsbabes
    Don't get me wrong; I like Sowell; but it seems to me that Houston is a better runner than Sowell. Not to mention 8 years younger.

Last year we kept 4 running backs total.

I am starting to like what I see in Askew, and I feel that he deserves a roster spot before Houston.

What does everyone else think?
    I think I've got a better chance of hitting 6 numbers in the Florida Lotto then Sowell does of getting cut.

Banned

No Way!

They won't cut Sowell! He's a proven commodity. There is already a concern about how productive the running game will be, you don't want to see Sowell getting cut too.

All Pro
    I think Askew would more than make up for losing Sowell. If Sowell wants more $$$$ , then let him go. And dont forget we have my man Little John Flowers to back up Askew!

Veteran
    we will not cut sowell. he has great hands out of the back field and is one hell of a blocker. on most lists he is rated the 2nd or 3rd best fullback in ALL THE NFL this guy isnt goin anywhere

Banned
    along the lines of a-rods post...i have a better chance of meeting god then him being cut!

All Pro
    No way Sowell and Askew are not both of the opening day roster. We are as strong as anybody in the league at this position, why would we mess with it?

Practice Squad
    So what is everyone saying?

Are we keeping 5 running backs this year, or are we going to cut Houston?

And don't tell me we are cutting Askew, because that is not happening.

Hall Of Fame
    If the OL can't run block, you are going to see the TE in a lot more than Dinger wanted. We are going to use a lot of screens and dump offs in the flat if we can't get a push from the line. Sowell is going to be a very important part of the O this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sowell is going to play a major roll in the offense this year. Sowell is a Jet and will remain a Jet.

Veteran

has everyone gone insane

sowell is no pushover. he was the lead blocker for the leagues top rusher and provides good hands out of the backfield. and wit all this askew stuff he may be faster then sowell but he can even be compared to sowells blocking. sowell could have been a pro bowler last year if it wasnt all about names

Veteran
    I'm going to be ballsy fir a moment.
    First, I'll never the Jets keeping 4 RBs. If anything, if they were to keep more than two I'd fantasize with the idea of keeping 3 RBs: C.Martin, D.Blaylock, and D.Birmingham.
    I know, I know we already have J.Miller for the returning jobs, but he apparently, at least for know, seems to need a differetn type of upbringing to the NFL. D.Birmingham looks really good on the returning job. So maybe for now it could be possible to have Miller to learn just the defense.

However, I know this is very unrealistic, since the Jets are not getting rid of C.Houston.

Banned
    Anyone care to translate JEts Fanatic's post??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots
    Anyone care to translate JEts Fanatic's post??
    I'm surprised he didn't have Curtis Martin on the cut list.

All League
    When Gessner and Williams were hot, the debate was whether we would keep six receivers. Well it is getting pretty clear that six receivers are not in the cards for the Jets this year. There is a chance the Jets will go six running backs.
    Miller was taken off the punt return team at Clemson because he couldn't catch, this is not a new problem. The Jets invested in special teams big time, with Maddox, Gardner, Nugent, Graham and of course Miller. Westoff has the horses, but he needs a punt returner. Birmingham is the man, I just dont see anyone else stepping forward. Westoff believes it his system that made Ward and Santana as good as they were ( I dont know if I agree ) but I do agree that punt returns should be a weapon, again Birmingham is the guy.

One final comment, if the Jets go 4 and 5 wide , I am very comfortable with Sowell split out as one of the receivers. Curtiss , Blaylock , and Askew are all fine receivers. Therefore, I can go 4 WR and 6 RB's, you may need two receivers on your practice squad to protect yourself against injury at the WR position.