Thread: Peter King still talking about Jets/Law

Veteran

Peter King still talking about Jets/Law

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...22/mmqb/2.html

Ty Law-Related Stat of the Week

Last week I wrote that the contract Ty Law signed with the Jets is a fairly onerous one for Law. He'd have to play 95 percent of the New York's defensive snaps (teams average about 1,000 of them a year) and the Jets would have to make the playoffs for Law's $4 million incentive bonus to kick in.

So let's examine some playing-time numbers. Last year, the two starting Jets corners, David Barrett and Donnie Abraham, played 92.5 percent and 89 percent of the team's plays, respectively. So that leads you to believe that if Law's healthy, he has a chance to hit 95 percent.

But this leads you to believe he doesn't: The last time Law took more than 95 percent of the snaps was in 1998, when, as a 24-year-old young stud corner for New England, he played 97 percent of the defensive plays.

Last year, three of the corners who made the Pro Bowl -- Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, Ronde Barber -- played at least 95 percent of the defensive plays for their teams.

So it's possible. But I'll say this: It's not even a certainty that Law will play in the Jets' second-to-last preseason game on Friday night with the Giants, and I like the Jets' chances to make the playoffs a lot more than I like Law's chances to play 950 downs this year.
    The Fat Man just can't get off the Jets tip....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by regen
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...22/mmqb/2.html

The Fat Man just can't get off the Jets tip....
    actually, if he would only read his own BS, the guys who did play 95% of the snaps are among to the top paid guys at the position, where the hell do you think the Jets came up with the number? score one for tannenbaum and bradway!

Law will never see that $4M or that $11M SB for next year. It was basically a one year make good contract and see what he will sign for next year.

All League
    I know that it is gay, but if I were the Jets I would take Law out of the game completly in the 4th quarter if its a blow-out on either side to ensure he doesn't get 95% and say the decision was made to keep him from re-injuring or aggrivating the foot.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Section109Row15
    I know that it is gay, but if I were the Jets I would take Law out of the game completly in the 4th quarter if its a blow-out on either side to ensure he doesn't get 95% and say the decision was made to keep him from re-injuring or aggrivating the foot.

I would think Law would then complain to the NFL Players Association and they would bring complaints against the JETS for manipulating a players on the field time for contractual reasons. If it were this easy, every team would sign every player to "time spent on the field" type contracts and then not play them at the ends of games. Actually, I am probably backwards... most players contracts are likely to be inclusive of playing time bonuses. The question is how do those bonuses affect the cap?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Section109Row15
    There's a good way to piss him off. Don't you know Ty got a family to feed?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by scrizzy
    There's a good way to piss him off. Don't you know Ty got a family to feed?

Well, you do play your back-ups in a blow out, win or loss. I could see if Ty was right at the 95% line and the Jets pulled him in an important game for the sake of saving dollars. I just don't see Law playing garbage time in games that are out of reach. No way he plays 95%.