Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Rhodes was Starting at Safety in Both Sessions Today ...

Hall Of Fame

Kerry Rhodes was Starting at Safety in Both Sessions Today ...

At Free Safety!!!!

He was starting opposite Celestin during both the morning and the afternoon practice sessions and Erik Coleman was working with the second team.

This has been looked up on as Donnie trying to send a message to Coleman for having a "lackluster" camp/preseason.

Keep your eyes on this one.

Undrafted Free Agent
    no way..........its probably just a way to give a rhodes and celestin many reps with the 1st team to get a better look because decisions have to be made soon...this has nothing to do with coleman.......

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by benandmo82
    no way..........its probably just a way to give a rhodes and celestin many reps with the 1st team to get a better look because decisions have to be made soon...this has nothing to do with coleman.......
    Just saying what I heard. I like Erik Coleman to (I put him in my sig). Don't kill the messenger.

Veteran
    erik coleman should be cut. what a BUST!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    At Free Safety!!!!

He was starting opposite Celestin during both the morning and the afternoon practice sessions and Erik Coleman was working with the second team.

This has been looked up on as Donnie trying to send a message to Coleman for having a "lackluster" camp/preseason.

Hey 10, this is from nyjets.com highlights from todays practices:

Morning Highlights: Quarterback Chad Pennington completed a 35-yard pass to veteran wide receiver Wayne Chrebet in traffic during morning work…. Safety Erik Coleman made a leaping interception of a Pennington pass that was intended for running back Derrick Blaylock.

How did Coleman intercept a Pennington pass if he was playing on the 2nd string defense?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    At Free Safety!!!!

I haven't been to camp but from what limited action I saw in one game and heard on the radio, Celestin and Rhodes have been the most impressive.

All things being equal, I'd prefer Rhodes' speed to Coleman's and if Celestin keeps popping opposing threats across the middle. We're set.

Would like to see Coleman make some plays to make this more difficult. Go Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan

Morning Highlights: Quarterback Chad Pennington completed a 35-yard pass to veteran wide receiver Wayne Chrebet in traffic during morning work…. Safety Erik Coleman made a leaping interception of a Pennington pass that was intended for running back Derrick Blaylock.

How did Coleman intercept a Pennington pass if he was playing on the 2nd string defense?
    Bump

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan

Same way that the pass was intended for Derrick Blaylock. The practice session (the way that the teams were divided) was obviously mixed because if it wasn't ... that pass would have been intended for Curtis Martin and not Derrick Blaylock. Last I checked ... Curtis is still the #1 RB.

HTH.
    Last edited by JMJ; 08-23-2005 at 12:48 AM.

Practice Squad

So if you weren't old enough for the Kottite era, you are not a true Jets Fan?? Is there a certain level of crappy football that you have to sit through in order to be a "True" Jets fan?? I sat in a cold Shea Stadium for week 15 in 1980 to see the Jets lose to the 0-14 New Orleans Aints. Am I more of a Jets fans than you?? In case you haven't noticed, there are not too many front-runner fans of the Jets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn3158
    So if you weren't old enough for the Kottite era, you are not a true Jets Fan?? Is there a certain level of crappy football that you have to sit through in order to be a "True" Jets fan?? I sat in a cold Shea Stadium for week 15 in 1980 to see the Jets lose to the 0-14 New Orleans Aints. Am I more of a Jets fans than you?? In case you haven't noticed, there are not too many front-runner fans of the Jets.

i just think that whoever actually sat and watched every single game that season specifically that last game of the year......shows a level of fanship beyond the regulars.........it was just brutal.........to sit there at 1-14 and watch the game is like torture....and with the saints game........u didnt know whatw as gonna happen..but when ur sitting at 1-14 to watch the game is just brutal

All League
    i'm not going to say too much about rhodes because he's a rookie

but i'm not the happiest person about getting rid of mcgraw. the only reason why i say this is because i like to have ONE coverage saftey and ONE hitting saftey.... from my knowledge, Rhodes is a coverage man and i'm not overexcited about that because Eric Coleman (my second fav player) is a coverage man... i dont know, maybe i'll be wrong when we see the kid play... but i like for at least ONE D.B. to be able to pop somone (Law is a good tackler but i dont know how long that will last)

on the other hand, maybe having rhodes indtead of mcgraw is a good thing... because all of our linebackers can stop the run pretty well and hit somebody, and if there is ANY flaw in the jets D, its the secondary to not be able to coverage well, so maybe rhodes is the better choice.... i guess we'll find out on sept11.

Rookie
    has a post been deleted somewhere here? Where the heck did the Kotite reference come from? Whatever, older Jet fan or new Jet fan...it's all good. Anyone who roots for the Jets is ok in my book, we don't exactly lure them in with a bunch of past accomplishments. Watching the lean years doesn't make better or truer fans...just older.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdidyo
    has a post been deleted somewhere here? Where the heck did the Kotite reference come from? Whatever, older Jet fan or new Jet fan...it's all good. Anyone who roots for the Jets is ok in my book, we don't exactly lure them in with a bunch of past accomplishments. Watching the lean years doesn't make better or truer fans...just older.
    its my signature..thats what he was responding too

Practice Squad
    i just think that whoever actually sat and watched every single game that season specifically that last game of the year......shows a level of fanship beyond the regulars.........it was just brutal.........to sit there at 1-14 and watch the game is like torture....and with the saints game........u didnt know whatw as gonna happen..but when ur sitting at 1-14 to watch the game is just brutal
    I think that you expect to win against a 0-14 dome team at home in the cold. That is not my point about your quote. Most of the regulars who did not go to that game were trying to send a message to Leon Hess about his buddy Ritchie Kottite. I just do not like someone thinking they are more of a fan because they have been a Jets fan for X number of years. I have been a Jets fan for over 30 years. It doesn't make me more or less of a fan than my nephew who is 13 or my uncle who is 70.

Hall Of Fame
    Hey I can see Henderson doing this. He strikes me as the type of coach that will send a message if a player is not playing as well as he should be. Even if it is a guy like Coleman that was outstanding last year. Good way to light a fire under a guy and get him ready for the season if it looks like he is drifting into the comfort zone. Also a good way to reward other guys that are having great camps. I have no doubt that Coleman will start the league opener but nothing wrong with a bit of a boot to the rear.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsinSB
    erik coleman should be cut. what a BUST!

you're an absolute moron. he is a STARTER, and a good one at that

personally i think Coleman and Vilma will represent our defense in the probow l

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn3158
    I think that you expect to win against a 0-14 dome team at home in the cold. That is not my point about your quote. Most of the regulars who did not go to that game were trying to send a message to Leon Hess about his buddy Ritchie Kottite. I just do not like someone thinking they are more of a fan because they have been a Jets fan for X number of years. I have been a Jets fan for over 30 years. It doesn't make me more or less of a fan than my nephew who is 13 or my uncle who is 70.

i think were misunderstanding eachother........i dont think were really arguing i think were assuming things that arent...........im not saying u have to be a fan for x amount of years...........my point was relatively simple..........a person who would go out of his way to watch the end of that season is a huge fan...its that simple..were does x number of years come in this issue?

Veteran
    i dont believe coleman will be benched but i do believe donnie is sending him a message. if he feels that coleman is getting a little too comfortable and not performing his best or working his hardest then he will sit and lose reps soo he better shape up. I trust our coaches and their methods soo whatever donnie wants to do i trust its in the best intrest of the team and his defense.

Hall Of Fame
    GUYS COLEMAN is a limited athlete. He lacks ideal speed and coverage ability. He was not very good in the last part of last season and that has carried over to camp. I believe he will be beaten out for the starters job by mid-season by CELESTIN and RHODES will be the coverage guy with a lot of spped and jumping abilty.

The first time any of us who follow the team even thought about Celestin was during the Giants scrim-scrum. In the first quarter of Vikes preseason game, he and Vilma were all over every play. There is no denying that the guy is playing his heart out. Regardless, these are problems that I like to have. If Rhodes is playing that well, if Coleman can repeat his rook, and Celestin can be our defensive Chrebet, all I can add is, hell yeah.