Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons why The Jets may not go far in 2005

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Reasons why The Jets may not go far in 2005

I know that there is alot of optimism in Jets land right now. The expectations are high. Especially after what Pennington showed The Jets last week. You add in the upcoming debut of superstar CB Ty Law and the eventual return of John Abraham. The Jets appear to be building up some steam leading into their opener in 2005. All signs are pointing to The Jets making a big run this upcoming season.

The New England Patriots, The kings of the mountain could come a tad bit closer to the pack this season due to their key offseason losses especially in the leadership department. The Jets are coming off a very good 2004 season where they won 11 total games and became a legitimate contender. So everyone is assuming that The Jets are going to take the next step.

Nothing in The NFL is a given. What you did last year doesn't count for this season. You don't start the 2005 season with a field goal attempt trying to head to an AFC Championship game. You start the season where everyone starts it at 0 and 0.

Here are the two big reasons why The Jets may not head to where Jets fans want them to:

#1-INJURIES

This seems like an obvious thing to bring up for any NFL team but take a deep look at The Jets roster. Have you ever seen a team with so many key players with injury questions?.... The QB has been fragile the last few years. He's never played a full season in The NFL. He's coming off shoulder surgery and a year before that, He had a big wrist injury. The Jets best WR, Laveranues Coles has had foot problems the last couple of seasons. There are no problems right now but his issues could return. Three of The Jets o-lineman are older and played through injuries last season. Mawae, Fabini and Kendall. They look good this summer but you wonder if these ironmen can continue to hold up. The Jets star defensive end John Abraham hasn't been able to stay healthy over the course of an entire season. The Jets new star CB, Ty Law is coming off a serious injury himself.

If you were to list the most important players on The Jets. These guys would be the players you single out. The Jets don't go far in 2005 if these guys are not at full strength. The bottom line is that The Jets need Pennington, Coles, Abraham and Law to be at the top of their game this season. Those 4 guys could be the big difference makers this year.

#2- THE SCHEDULE

The AFC is murder and all 4 AFC East teams have the toughest NFL schedules on paper. There is no such thing as an easy game in The NFL but there are very few "easy" games on The Jets schedule this year. The AFC has become a very strong conference. There are so many legitimate playoff contenders. If you sit down and look at the schedule. The Jets are going to have to be really good to win double digit games. They have to be a better team than they were in 2004. The Jets schedule last year wasn't as easy as some made it out to be BUT... It helped that The Jets played Miami twice, Cleveland, San Fran and Arizona. Last year, If you were a good team, That was 5 wins by default. Every Jets fan is focusing in on New England but The Jets don't play The Pats until December. Those games won't matter if The Jets can't handle the first 3 months of the season. Jets have to play at Baltimore, Kansas City, Denver, Atlanta and Carolina. Those are all games that any team in The NFL can lose and you wouldn't blink an eye. I haven't even brought up at New England and at Buffalo. Two extremely hard games to win. The Jets road schedule is brutal. I realize that things can change so much from year to year and teams change from week to week even, but this is the hardest schedule, I have ever seen for The Jets. The one solace is that our division rivals have to play the same schedule as us. If The Jets get to double digit wins again this year, They will have earned it.

There are a few other question marks that concern me like the jets youth and inexperience at certain positions but these two concern me the most.

I love the coaching staff. The Jets have very good character on this team and excellent chemistry. These are all key ingredients to putting yourself in a position to make a run. There are so many close games in The NFL and the teams are so close in talent in The AFC that very little seperates teams from winning and losing. Herman Edwards game time decisions are also a big factor. If The Jets want to go far, He can't continue to be horrible at making key late game decisions. He can cost his team games with poor judgment calls late. The change in OC should help in that department but Herm's got to get his act together.

The Jets contending for a championship to me is not a given as some would lead you to believe. I am cautiously optimistic but I am also realistic.

Veteran
    If the only 2 problems the Jets have are two intangibles that they can't even control, thats definately a good sign.

Injuries, and schedules are the 2 things that every team in the afc east is going to have to deal with.

Of course pennington will be a big question mark until he gets into his groove, but im not really worried about coles. He has taken few if any(?) practices off all summer, and he hasn't missed time due to his toe.

Again, if the only 2 problems are injuries and the schedule, in my eyes thats a pretty optimistic post.

All League
    Was this thread necessary?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Every team has pros and cons...

Injuries and schedule can hurt any team..

I always respect what you write but these 2 things go without saying..

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

This can be applied to all 32 teams for the most part. Kind of repetitive, but I can see your points. I don't think any of us here are truly 100% certain that making SB XL is a given.

Are our chances legit? Absolutely. Cautious Optimism is the play for me...

All League

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    I know that there is alot of optimism in Jets land right now. The expectations are high. Especially after what Pennington showed The Jets last week. You add in the upcoming debut of superstar CB Ty Law and the eventual return of John Abraham. The Jets appear to be building up some steam leading into their opener in 2005. All signs are pointing to The Jets making a big run this upcoming season.

The New England Patriots, The kings of the mountain could come a tad bit closer to the pack this season due to their key offseason losses especially in the leadership department. The Jets are coming off a very good 2004 season where they won 11 total games and became a legitimate contender. So everyone is assuming that The Jets are going to take the next step.

Nothing in The NFL is a given. What you did last year doesn't count for this season. You don't start the 2005 season with a field goal attempt trying to head to an AFC Championship game. You start the season where everyone starts it at 0 and 0.

Here are the two big reasons why The Jets may not head to where Jets fans want them to:

#1-INJURIES

This seems like an obvious thing to bring up for any NFL team but take a deep look at The Jets roster. Have you ever seen a team with so many key players with injury questions?.... The QB has been fragile the last few years. He's never played a full season in The NFL. He's coming off shoulder surgery and a year before that, He had a big wrist injury. The Jets best WR, Laveranues Coles has had foot problems the last couple of seasons. There are no problems right now but his issues could return. Three of The Jets o-lineman are older and played through injuries last season. Mawae, Fabini and Kendall. They look good this summer but you wonder if these ironmen can continue to hold up. The Jets star defensive end John Abraham hasn't been able to stay healthy over the course of an entire season. The Jets new star CB, Ty Law is coming off a serious injury himself.

If you were to list the most important players on The Jets. These guys would be the players you single out. The Jets don't go far in 2005 if these guys are not at full strength. The bottom line is that The Jets need Pennington, Coles, Abraham and Law to be at the top of their game this season. Those 4 guys could be the big difference makers this year.

#2- THE SCHEDULE

The AFC is murder and all 4 AFC East teams have the toughest NFL schedules on paper. There is no such thing as an easy game in The NFL but there are very few "easy" games on The Jets schedule this year. The AFC has become a very strong conference. There are so many legitimate playoff contenders. If you sit down and look at the schedule. The Jets are going to have to be really good to win double digit games. They have to be a better team than they were in 2004. The Jets schedule last year wasn't as easy as some made it out to be BUT... It helped that The Jets played Miami twice, Cleveland, San Fran and Arizona. Last year, If you were a good team, That was 5 wins by default. Every Jets fan is focusing in on New England but The Jets don't play The Pats until December. Those games won't matter if The Jets can't handle the first 3 months of the season. Jets have to play at Baltimore, Kansas City, Denver, Atlanta and Carolina. Those are all games that any team in The NFL can lose and you wouldn't blink an eye. I haven't even brought up at New England and at Buffalo. Two extremely hard games to win. The Jets road schedule is brutal. I realize that things can change so much from year to year and teams change from week to week even, but this is the hardest schedule, I have ever seen for The Jets. The one solace is that our division rivals have to play the same schedule as us. If The Jets get to double digit wins again this year, They will have earned it.

There are a few other question marks that concern me like the jets youth and inexperience at certain positions but these two concern me the most.

I love the coaching staff. The Jets have very good character on this team and excellent chemistry. These are all key ingredients to putting yourself in a position to make a run. There are so many close games in The NFL and the teams are so close in talent in The AFC that very little seperates teams from winning and losing. Herman Edwards game time decisions are also a big factor. If The Jets want to go far, He can't continue to be horrible at making key late game decisions. He can cost his team games with poor judgment calls late. The change in OC should help in that department but Herm's got to get his act together.

The Jets contending for a championship to me is not a given as some would lead you to believe. I am cautiously optimistic but I am also realistic.

excellent post!!!!!

Veteran
    Be careful, If you question the ability of pennington you may be accused of being a troll, or an ignorant fan.

Practice Squad
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. those things apply to every team, stupid.

All Pro
    If I posted this thread it would be in the dump lol..

Hello

Dude - Injuries and Tough Schedule are intangibles that every single team in

the NFL has, those aren't questions - those are REALITIES..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HobokenBlueHen
    excellent post!!!!!
    Thanks Hoboken. I can tell by the quality of your posts that you are going to be a big time contributor on this site.

All Pro
    I buy the schedule argument a bit but the injury argument really does apply to evry team in the league. Just look at our cross-town rivals: QB, star DE, starting CB already w/ injury issues. Look at our week 1 opponent. They have injury issues up the wazoo and their O-line is being handled very delicately. Their star TE has foot issues. Every team has injury issues so I honestly don't think the Jets are really any worse than anyone else.

The two things that IMO, can hold the Jets back is 1) inconsistent secondary (remains to be seen how they will perform but they are very young), and 2) Cumar getting injured/slowing down considerably (I don't expect this but its not out of the realm of possibility).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HobokenBlueHen
    excellent post!!!!!
    The Jets may do well this year or not. Did I sum it up or did I sum it up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRipper
    If I posted this thread it would be in the dump lol..
    B/c you have zero credibility. YJF, on the other hand, is a very good poster.

All League
    YJF, I hate for this to be my first post here, cause I've been reading this forum for a long time and I respect your football knowledge and insight as much as anyone here. But this thread belongs in the Garbage Dump under under the "No s**t , Sherlock." category.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Colemonster
    YJF, I hate for this to be my first post here, cause I've been reading this forum for a long time and I respect your football knowledge and insight as much as anyone here. But this thread belongs in the Garbage Dump under under the "No s**t , Sherlock." category.
    I like this guy!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Of course, The Injury and Schedule arguments apply to every team in The NFL but The Jets have more concerns than most teams in these two key areas.

Like I already stated in my initial post. The Jets have way too many key players with injury question marks. You don't see that many key players on other teams. The Jets best players have inury questions. That's a concern. That's what could hold The Jets back this year.

While, I was stating the so called "obvious".... These are really the two biggest factors.

When you go through the schedule realistically, You can see The Jets going anywhere from 8 wins to 12 wins. The Jets have an extremely tough schedule especially in comparison to alot of other NFL teams. If The Jets had say, The Giants schedule, I'd pencil them in for 11 wins easy if they stayed healthy.

With this type of schedule, Particulary, the road schedule. Going 500 on the road would be a good accomplishment. The teams that The Jets play are all legitimate playoff contenders. These games are going to be crucial in playoff positioning and playoff seeding.

Hall Of Fame
    Give the kid a break - he's a thoughtful, knowledgable, insightful poster. Keep up the good work, YJF.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    Of course, The Injury and Schedule arguments apply to every team in The NFL but The Jets have more concerns than most teams in these two key areas.

Like I already stated in my initial post. The Jets have way too many key players with injury question marks. You don't see that many key players on other teams. The Jets best players have inury questions. That's a concern. That's what could hold The Jets back this year.

While, I was stating the so called "obvious".... These are really the two biggest factors.

When you go through the schedule realistically, You can see The Jets going anywhere from 8 wins to 12 wins. The Jets have an extremely tough schedule especially in comparison to alot of other NFL teams. If The Jets had say, The Giants schedule, I'd pencil them in for 11 wins easy if they stayed healthy.

With this type of schedule, Particulary, the road schedule. Going 500 on the road would be a good accomplishment. The teams that The Jets play are all legitimate playoff contenders. These games are going to be crucial in playoff positioning and playoff seeding.
    You're continuing to beat a drum that has been beaten many times before. Very good points IMO, but also very broad...