Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the real reason Abraham is holding out:

Hall Of Fame

the real reason Abraham is holding out:

he just doesn't want to do 2 a day practices. he's known for months he's not getting a long term deal. he could have signed the one year deal anytime. why now? b/c he doesn't have to practice as hard and risk pulling anything.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak
    he just doesn't want to do 2 a day practices. he's known for months he's not getting a long term deal. he could have signed the one year deal anytime. why now? b/c he doesn't have to practice as hard and risk pulling anything.

And you came to this conclusion HOW?

It just amazes me how people ASSume and post such rediculous statements. Now, if you have first hand knowledge of his situation (i.e. a family member of Abe), then my apologies.

Just remember, the NFL is a business which means both sides try but whatever means possible to gain leverage. Abe gave it his best shot... and lost (at least this year) which will not only cost him, but the JETS.

GET IN HERE 94 (or 56, or whatever your calling yourself)

Veteran
    Okay, so he should report now. 2 a days are over.

Banned
    no i think hes holding out because he wants the security of a longterm deal. infortunately for him he's hurting his chances at that. the jets are not going to give him a long-term deal until he proves he can stay on the field. the longe rhe hold sout, the less time he has to get his muscles, tendons, etc.... ready for a season of football, and that means increased risk of injury.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    no i think hes holding out because he wants the security of a longterm deal. infortunately for him he's hurting his chances at that. the jets are not going to give him a long-term deal until he proves he can stay on the field. the longe rhe hold sout, the less time he has to get his muscles, tendons, etc.... ready for a season of football, and that means increased risk of injury.
    They gave a long term deal to Pennington, he hasn't played in all 16 regular season games ever. He was injured in four of his five seasons. Abraham started every single game in 2001 and 2002 and made the Pro Bowl each year.

Abraham would have reported at the start of training camp if the Jets wrote an agreement that he wouldn't be franchised next year.

Abraham gives up 6 to 10 million dollars this season by being franchised. I think you would use whatever little leverage you have to fight that income loss.

And for the millionth time, Abraham is NOT holding out, period. He is not under contract. The Jets now have two players not under contract taking up 10.75 million dollars in cap space (Abraham and Testaverde).

And the moron of a GM only made him dig his heels into the ground further by threatening to franchise him again next year. What a dope.

Hall Of Fame
    Saying he's not holding out is semantics. And Bradway is using his leverage, not being dopey. If we had the Seattle GM, we'd be much worse off.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-T
    And you came to this conclusion HOW?

It just amazes me how people ASSume and post such rediculous statements. Now, if you have first hand knowledge of his situation (i.e. a family member of Abe), then my apologies.

Just remember, the NFL is a business which means both sides try but whatever means possible to gain leverage. Abe gave it his best shot... and lost (at least this year) which will not only cost him, but the JETS.

GET IN HERE 94 (or 56, or whatever your calling yourself)
    Actually he's not assuming anything. It's a common practice that when a franchise tag is placed on a player, he normally holds out till two a days are completed and then reports to camp. Now not all players do this, because some have their agents working on a long term deal or have some other arrangement in place, but for the most parts this is exactly what franchise players do. What Abe is doing is nothing out of the ordinary. The problem that people seem to have with Abe is that he said he would have no problem signing his tag, but he never said when he would sign it. Everyone just assumed that he would do it right before camp started. So let's give him a break and see what happens.

Signed,

Eugene Parker (Agent for John Abraham)

Here's the bottom line... Abe has to show he's worth a long term contract. And by that I mean being there when it counts. He needs to stay healthy for the entire season and play good throughout then go out and be a monster in the playoffs. Then he'll get his big time long term contract. Untill then he better take what's been offered to him and love it because he hasn't proved Jack sh!t when it meant something to date. Peace!!!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJetFan
    Actually he's not assuming anything. It's a common practice that when a franchise tag is placed on a player, he normally holds out till two a days are completed and then reports to camp. Now not all players do this, because some have their agents working on a long term deal or have some other arrangement in place, but for the most parts this is exactly what franchise players do. What Abe is doing is nothing out of the ordinary. The problem that people seem to have with Abe is that he said he would have no problem signing his tag, but he never said when he would sign it. Everyone just assumed that he would do it right before camp started. So let's give him a break and see what happens.

Signed,

Eugene Parker (Agent for John Abraham)
    Don't you think that Abe would have had a better shot at a long term contract if he would have shown up and performed like he did at camp last year? He was outstanding and obviously the best defensive player on the team.

The FO has a legitimate concern with the value of Abraham because of his behavior off the field. He did make a turn around one season out of four, until he was injured and mis-represented by the press with his quote about the future.

Holding out is standard if all parties are communicating and it's pretty much a given when the player will return. I don't think that's the case, because of his agents remarks about not showing up.

If Abraham stays healthy and plays up to his potential he'll make the pro bowl and record 16-20 sacks in 16 regular season games. That's when his value will be the greatest. Not now, when there is contention between the parties, and in this light, his value is also diminished by other players in awkward contract negotiations.

The only option is to show up and play the entire season to get the best contract offer. Or settle for a lesser contract, lesser guaranteed money, filled with incentives similar to Law. That shouldn't be the case for a young Pro Bowl performer.

Abraham should probably shoot his agent at this point, and do his own talking to the press. Especially if he pulls up lame this season and if it happens at the end of the season, it's just going to diminish his value even more.

Banned
    Would you want to go to 2 a day practices?

Hall Of Fame
    Well I know missing 2 a days isn't hurting his feelings any. Almost all players will tell you honestly that they hate 2 a days. A lot of work in normally sweltering heat......

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by screen pass
    Don't you think that Abe would have had a better shot at a long term contract if he would have shown up and performed like he did at camp last year? He was outstanding and obviously the best defensive player on the team.

The FO has a legitimate concern with the value of Abraham because of his behavior off the field. He did make a turn around one season out of four, until he was injured and mis-represented by the press with his quote about the future.

Holding out is standard if all parties are communicating and it's pretty much a given when the player will return. I don't think that's the case, because of his agents remarks about not showing up.

If Abraham stays healthy and plays up to his potential he'll make the pro bowl and record 16-20 sacks in 16 regular season games. That's when his value will be the greatest. Not now, when there is contention between the parties, and in this light, his value is also diminished by other players in awkward contract negotiations.

The only option is to show up and play the entire season to get the best contract offer. Or settle for a lesser contract, lesser guaranteed money, filled with incentives similar to Law. That shouldn't be the case for a young Pro Bowl performer.

Abraham should probably shoot his agent at this point, and do his own talking to the press. Especially if he pulls up lame this season and if it happens at the end of the season, it's just going to diminish his value even more.

I absolutely agree with you. If I were ABe and looking for a long term contract, I would show up to camp and show the Jets why they should be locking me up long term. I would try and play through everything that i could in my power. All i'm saying is that the reason people are hating on Abe is cause he's not here yet, but it really is a normal practice for players to hold out till two a days are over. Now if that's a smart thing to do is totally a different topic, but it's not like Abe is the only person that's ever done this.

If I were the Jets, I would definately try to get Abe to sign up on a Law type deal. Make it incentive laden where he has to play X number of snaps or games. I think that's where both parties are running into a snag. His agents want more guaranteed money upfront and the jets want to tie it to performance.

RealJetFan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    They gave a long term deal to Pennington, he hasn't played in all 16 regular season games ever. He was injured in four of his five seasons. Abraham started every single game in 2001 and 2002 and made the Pro Bowl each year.

Abraham would have reported at the start of training camp if the Jets wrote an agreement that he wouldn't be franchised next year.

Abraham gives up 6 to 10 million dollars this season by being franchised. I think you would use whatever little leverage you have to fight that income loss.

And for the millionth time, Abraham is NOT holding out, period. He is not under contract. The Jets now have two players not under contract taking up 10.75 million dollars in cap space (Abraham and Testaverde).

And the moron of a GM only made him dig his heels into the ground further by threatening to franchise him again next year. What a dope.

why make a big deal out of a techincality? he is, in effect, holding out. no need to get so worked up over it. and, fwiw, bradway should never guarantee anything like that (not franchising a player). that totally wipes away any leverage the jets have. if he agreed to something like that he would look pretty stupid at the end of the year when abraham signs somewhere else and we egt nothing in return.

Veteran

Pennington/Abraham
    Apples/Oranges
    You cant compare the two situations. Penny was a FA along with a few other notable FA's that year. Since you can only franchise 1 player, the team makes the franchise determination, then is forced to make decisions whether to sign or let the FA's go.
    In Abes situation, the only other notable was Lamont. For Abe it gets worse. As far as I know there are no other notable FA's at the end of this year. If he has a great year, the Jets tag him again. If he doesnt play or has a below standard year, the Jets let him go and he is free to sign anywhere (at his now reduced mkt value).

Yes, the Jets are taking a cap hit, however Abes $$ is remaining in Woodys pocket. Taking this into consideration, the Woody/TB have all the leverage on their side.

guaranteeing not to franchise Abraham again would be the dumbest thing Bradway can do. Talk about giving up all of your leverage.

And while you're at it, you forgot to remind us that he's one of the only GMs who hasn't drafted or brought in a FA pro-bowler.

Hall Of Fame
    The real reason Abraham is not in camp is money. The real reason why the Jets won't give him a long-term deal is money. Abe thinks he's worth the investment of a LT deal, the Jets do not at this point. There is nothing sinister about it at all from either end. It's a negotiation, it's a business transaction. Each side has done a cost/benefit analysis and is acting accordingly. The Jets appear to have superior leverage, and thus the smart money says that Abe reports and plays...though he'll likely wait until the last possible moment before he has to forfeit a game check.

What's so difficult to understand? The Jets can cut Abe whenever they want, LT deal or no LT deal. Abe wants security in the form of gauranteed money, the Jets want to minimize the risks involved with committing such monies to an oft-injured player.

Practice Squad

Chad pennington also played with a torn rotator cuff, and beat the san diego chargers in the playoffs. Abraham sat out that game and the one after.
    Chad it tough, and Abraham is a p**sy and a crybaby. That is why chad has the contract and he doesn't.

One last thing, Chad pennington did not crash his SUV while drunk on sunrise highway in baldwin at 4 am during football season. John abraham did.

Practice Squad
    The Jets have all the leverage. What management is doing is correct we have all the cards at this point. Abe has 6 million dollars to lose and his future contract. We definitely need his pass rush skills but no way I am giving him a long term deal at this point until he proves otherwise. He is getting very bad advise from his agent. He will not be in shape which could lead to yet another injury and he is continuing to hurt his reputation. These players never learn. He should follow the lead of Hines Ward and express his love for his team and report. He should have done that weeks ago.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jet in Florida
    Would you want to go to 2 a day practices?
    For $6.7 MILLION dollars? AND I get to play football? Where do I sign up?

On a side note, Abraham get's no pass from me for one reason --- he said he understood that he'd be getting the franchise tag and that he'd have no problem signing the franchise tender. Here we are, training camp is over, the preseason is about to be over, and John Abraham isn't present.

Fire your agents John Abraham.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    For $6.7 MILLION dollars? AND I get to play football? Where do I sign up?

On a side note, Abraham get's no pass from me for one reason --- he said he understood that he'd be getting the franchise tag and that he'd have no problem signing the franchise tender. Here we are, training camp is over, the preseason is about to be over, and John Abraham isn't present.

Fire your agents John Abraham.
    once again I agree wholeheartedly with Buzzsaw on this sore subject.