Thread: The only thing that really scares me...

All Pro

The only thing that really scares me...

... is the play of our offensive line.

Some growing pains were inevitable in the new offensive, and on the plays when Chad managed to field the snap properly, we moved the ball fairly well. The receivers were getting open and drops by Coles and J-Man are out of character. Hell, even the defense settled down after a terrible start and played pretty well during the final three quarters.

Everything above is correctible.

But the offensive line play was horrid. We didn't get a surge upfront the entire game. Curtis didn't have chance to break anything. Chad was getting hit all day. There were a ton of penalties upfront, some of which really hurt us early.

I'm giving the OL a mulligan, because after last year I simply can't believe they're as bad as they looked against a pedestrian Chiefs DL on Sunday. Just chalk it up to opening day jitters.

Hopefully this is like that Pats opener a few years back, where they got slaughtered and written off early, and later got hot and won the SB.

We'll learn a lot next Sunday.

Veteran
    Man, I hope you are right. The line was horrible amongst everything else. We'll see what happens next week.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i watched the OL and let me tell ya they aren't world beaters but when the other team is rushing 8 or 9 there's no OL in the league that can protect the QB with 5 guys plus a blocking back - it's up to Chad to recognise jail breaks and get to the hot route - and QUICK. His release was slow as usual and he had that deer in headlights look about him.

How do the Pats win SB with a line that's not better than ours? Their QB has a quick release that makes them all look good.

At some point #10 has to step up.

All Pro
    Bit- Agreed, but what about the rushing game? I don't understand how we were overmatched upfront against their front 7.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    i watched the OL and let me tell ya they aren't world beaters but when the other team is rushing 8 or 9 there's no OL in the league that can protect the QB with 5 guys plus a blocking back - it's up to Chad to recognise jail breaks and get to the hot route - and QUICK. His release was slow as usual and he had that deer in headlights look about him.

How do the Pats win SB with a line that's not better than ours? Their QB has a quick release that makes them all look good.

At some point #10 has to step up.
    I just watched the game again. Just trying to get a different prospective.

Chad Pennington is to blame for the sacks. He's a novice in this offense and he's standing there holding the ball too long and not recognizing blitzes. Two of The Chiefs 3 sacks came on poor line of scrimmage reads by Pennington.

The o-line did not play well. I am not trying to excuse them but The QB is lost right now. He doesn't know what he is doing. He doesn't know where guys are lined up, He doesn't know where WR's routes go. He's just lost. His timing is completely off. He looked like a rookie yesterday.

It's like the game has sped up all of a sudden for him.

There were plays to be made yesterday. Pennington and his WR's left so many plays yesterday on the field. I am shocked that they had over 400 yards of offense. 3 trips into the red zone and nothing comes out of it. Not one single point.

When Pennington looks at the game film with his teammates today. He's going to want to jump off a bridge.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    I just watched the game again. Just trying to get a different prospective.

Chad Pennington is to blame for the sacks. He's a novice in this offense and he's standing there holding the ball too long and not recognizing blitzes. Two of The Chiefs 3 sacks came on poor line of scrimmage reads by Pennington.

The o-line did not play well. I am not trying to excuse them but The QB is lost right now. He doesn't know what he is doing. He doesn't know where guys are lined up, He doesn't know where WR's routes go. He's just lost. His timing is completely off. He looked like a rookie yesterday.

It's like the game has sped up all of a sudden for him.

There were plays to be made yesterday. Pennington and his WR's left so many plays yesterday on the field. I am shocked that they had over 400 yards of offense. 3 trips into the red zone and nothing comes out of it. Not one single point.

When Pennington looks at the game film with his teammates today. He's going to want to jump off a bridge.
    Agreed on Chad, but I think part of this was to be expected. He had a short camp, basically had one game where he was comfortable, against a suspect defense. The Giant game was alot like this and the Philly game was against backups.
    I think they hoped they would be able to get through the game without Chad having to throw too much, but with the Chiefs scoring on the 1st 2 possesions and the running game not going anywhere, they were forced to open the playbook wider then I think he was ready for.

Hopefully they can get some of this squared away this week and do something against Miami...

The O-line never plays well agianst strong D-lines, like Buffalo, but I'm not sure that the Chiefs D-line should fall in this catagory? They need to open the Miami game showing they can pass and then run off the pass. We will not be able to run first until we show that the pass can be dangerous....

I prefer what happened to us yesterday, rahter then what happened to us in 1999... Also, at least we lost to a team that is supposed to be good, ask Denver and St. Louis, and Minnesota to a certain extent, how they feel..