Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Question on Fiedler

  1. #1
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    northern NJ
    Posts
    218

    Question on Fiedler

    I realize that Chad is the starting quarterback and that his 64 million dollar contract basically makes him our starter for the next 5 years.

    I am not a huge Penny fan but I am willing to give him some slack due to his lack of reps this summer.

    My question is and I know it is Monday morning quarterbacking. Would have it been wiser to start Fielder or were the Jets better to throw Penny into the fire so to speak and learn the system on the fly.

    I'm not blaming Chad because the whole team with exceptions had a piss poor day. I'm just wondering if Fiedler would have been a better choice being he had the majority of reps in camp.

  2. #2
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by section137
    I realize that Chad is the starting quarterback and that his 64 million dollar contract basically makes him our starter for the next 5 years.

    I am not a huge Penny fan but I am willing to give him some slack due to his lack of reps this summer.

    My question is and I know it is Monday morning quarterbacking. Would have it been wiser to start Fielder or were the Jets better to throw Penny into the fire so to speak and learn the system on the fly.

    I'm not blaming Chad because the whole team with exceptions had a piss poor day. I'm just wondering if Fiedler would have been a better choice being he had the majority of reps in camp.
    there is no way we should have started fiedler, but puttting him in earlier in the second half would have been a possibility...... not just because chad was turning the ball over and making some bad throws, but because he led us to 0 points

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Quote Originally Posted by HobokenBlueHen
    there is no way we should have started fiedler, but puttting him in earlier in the second half would have been a possibility...... not just because chad was turning the ball over and making some bad throws, but because he led us to 0 points
    Yeah, that might have given us a chance to actually win. Having likeable, high paid fan "favorites" is much more important than winning.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,320
    First off, Fiedler is an average NFL QB at best. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever played for Heimerdinger. So not sure why he'd be more comfortable in that system than anyone else. Especially with an o-line that blocked no one.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,692
    Fiedler is more mobile than Chad and has had more practice time learning and executing the Dinger's offense with the starters than Chad has had this offseason.

    Chad is an average QB at best. Chad = Fiedler.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon
    First off, Fiedler is an average NFL QB at best. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever played for Heimerdinger. So not sure why he'd be more comfortable in that system than anyone else. Especially with an o-line that blocked no one.
    Actually he's had more time with Dinger's O then Chad has..

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by section137
    I realize that Chad is the starting quarterback and that his 64 million dollar contract basically makes him our starter for the next 5 years.

    I am not a huge Penny fan but I am willing to give him some slack due to his lack of reps this summer.

    My question is and I know it is Monday morning quarterbacking. Would have it been wiser to start Fielder or were the Jets better to throw Penny into the fire so to speak and learn the system on the fly.

    I'm not blaming Chad because the whole team with exceptions had a piss poor day. I'm just wondering if Fiedler would have been a better choice being he had the majority of reps in camp.
    6 fumbles? 3 of them on snaps? 1 (which was lost), he tried to pick up in the middle of a scrum on the line of scrimmage?

    yeah, in retrospect, starting Fiedler probably would have given us a better shot at winning.

    but the real question is, were there signs that Chad wasn't mentally ready to play (and I say mentally, because physically he looked OK)? or was he basically ready, and just had one of those terrible, murphy's law, kind of days that no one could have foreseen?

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,210
    In retrospect, starting Fiedler probably would have given us a better chance to win the game yesterday. However, you then have the issue of bringing Penny back in to start. I'm sure you all can remember the Eagles game in 2003, when we brought penny in to start the 2nd half after a solid 1st half by Vinny. Penny was shaky and we lost the game.

    I think the CS did the right thing in starting Penny. An initial shaky game is to be expected, given Chad's injury and cerebral approach (sometimes over-analytical). The real question becomes, can Chad shake off the rust and just go out and play next week (and win)? I'd rather him have a shaky 1st game of the season and get it out of the way.

    As for your other point, if Chad sucks it up next week and is unable to get any points on the board during the 1st half, I don't have a problem with bringing in Fiedler.

    However, I expect Penny to bouce back in usual fashion and have a good game next Sunday. A week of practice will help his confidence, especially with the Center-QB snap.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    I think the CS did the right thing in starting Penny.
    If you think that, then you are not interested in winning, only "players"
    The Pats never think like this.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,732
    what is with the obsession with fiedler? noone (except for, well, JayFiedler) is a bigger fiedler fan than me (i love seeing my hebrew brethren playing football), but i dont think he would have given us that much better a chance to win...he may have had more time with the o than chad, but even during the garbage time that he was in for he almost turned the ball over twice...its nice to second guess and everything, but lets face it, KC would have had our number if Johnny U were starting at qb...

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon
    First off, Fiedler is an average NFL QB at best. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever played for Heimerdinger. So not sure why he'd be more comfortable in that system than anyone else. Especially with an o-line that blocked no one.
    Chad Penny boy is an average QB at best. And Fiedler looks a lot more comfortable in the system than Penny boy.

    News Flash. Pennington Sucks. Even if his not fumbling the ball all over the feild he has proven to me one again that he has no arm strength and I if C-Mart cant get it going ........his worth is sh!t.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us